CBS "The Judy Garland Show" auctioned off: Anyone got $1.5 M?*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Lawrence Schulman, Dec 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lawrence Schulman

Lawrence Schulman Senior Member Thread Starter

2. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

I loved those shows when I was a 10 year old, used to watch 'em with my dad. Some classic performances, I was especially fond of those "'Born In A Trunk" segments. Unfortunately, I'm a bit short on that asking price.:)

3. Lawrence Schulman

I'm a bit short, too. But, to be honest, $1.5 million is a bargain. Remember that these masters, which are in impeccable condition, can be used to release Blu-rays and CDs. If you have never seen the Garland shows on DVD, you are missing out on something. For much of the show's run, Garland was in top shape, and her list of guests was stellar. I, for one, am happy it was taped in black and white, which gives it an even classier look.

4. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I wonder if Shout Factory would be interested? Hmm...

5. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Not certain that there is still a sizable paying audience for Garland out there in the marketplace to pull in a minimum of $1.5 million acquisition costs + production costs + marketing + lawyers + etc. and still turn a profit from home video and CD sales.

BTW, the $1.5 million is the opening bid and there still may be a reserve figure much higher than that.

I also wouldn't preclude legal problems getting performance clearances, especially since it's a musical show, from the guest stars, their estates, record companies, etc.

6. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Yes, agree. $1.5m would be a bargain for all rights and clearances in perpetuity. This is neither a set sale at that price, nor does the price include all the clearances.

7. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

The show has shifted ownership quite a few times over the years has it not?

8. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Been bootlegged to death as well.

9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I hope somebody does win it and puts them out proper!

10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Man, I dunno. Those are weird shows. Judy had energy and all that stuff, but I just don't think that there's a big market for these variety shows today. Don't forget, the TV series bombed even when it was originally on. I think it has very, very limited appeal at best.

I wouldn't mind watching a "best of" special or something, but watching complete shows kind of falls into a train wreck experience for me. Garland was strange and out of control in several of those appearances, and looked real shaky on the air.

11. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

I'm not certain what they could do, that hasn't already been accomplished by the two Pioneer DVD boxed sets... those are pretty much the gold standard for **any** variety show release. Particularly since in addition to a stunning set of video transfers, they also miraculously managed to negotiate rights for all of the guest stars and musical numbers.

I don't think it gets any better than that...

- Kevin

12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Too bad I missed both volumes...outta my price range.

13. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

Aren't they in in Black & White? Agree, there is a creepy vibe to the shows. I think PBS ran them at one time as a fundraiser/pledge drive.

14. cathandler

cathandler Hyperactive!

I wonder if they will end up like the Dick Clark, Merv Griffin or Ed Sullivan archives for clip licensing; I can imagine worse fates.

15. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I really think that anyone who's wanted to see this has either A). Bought a bootleg, or B) Bought one of the previou VHS/DVD releases.

There's only so many people on the planet who want to watch these shows- especially the complete episodes.

16. Lawrence Schulman

Not to be contrary... but, these shows are classic. Not always at her best, Garland still was close to her peak on many of these. Bored with them???!!! That's like saying one can be bored listening to different interpretations of Beethoven's string quartets or Mozart's symphonies. You don't at all need to be a fan to appreciate the incredible artist quality of most of Garland's performances during her 1963/1964 series. Please, someone fast, watch her perform "Stormy Weather" from the series:

Or how about "Ol' Man River:"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g4wnWILwSI

These are great interpretations that will live forever.

17. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Yeah; but let's be honest- you're not an objective party. :)

I think they're fine shows- some better than others, and they aren't all "classics", but I also don't think there's that big of a market for these any more- especially now that the material has seen multiple VHS/DVD/CD releases.

18. Lawrence Schulman

You should remember that whatever one's opinion of the series and Garland the Pioneer box sets of the show are findable on online sites but go for outrageous prices. Insofar as remastering, although the masters' video resolution can't be upgraded, the sound can be markedly improved compared to the Pioneer releases, which now date from over a decade ago.

19. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

But is it worth spending all that money when you are not likely to make a profit on the material?

20. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

To put this diplomatically......well, as best I can, the general public is not that into Judy, but the people who are into her are really, really, really into her, and they are a demo which is often extremely affluent, such that the price really is a huge bargain for the right person. People pay a lot more for a lot less just in terms of a unique status symbol. Plus, eventually it will pay off and even make a profit in revenue, since internationally there is some interest, and as the poster correctly says, these really are classic performances.

21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That's what I think. They're definitely B&W -- CBS generally did not broadcast anything in color until 1965-1966. Even as a little kid, I watched the show and thought, "this woman is either out of her mind, drunk, or both." Turned out I was right.

I don't deny that Garland was a very talented actress and singer, but these shows are kinda painful, weird, and uncomfortable to watch, especially almost 50 years later. Still, they had moments -- like the famous duet with Barbra Streisand:

22. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Loudin Wainwright jr. would probably contact backers for the material. No????

23. Lawrence Schulman

24. Lawrence Schulman

Anyone have any news of the results of the auction?

25. Lawrence Schulman

The Royal Exchange, the online bidding site, was the auction site in late 2012 for the purchase of The Judy Garland Show, from the 1963/1964 season on CBS. The auction ended on December 23rd, but I have seen nothing in the press about the result. Anyone see anything about this anywhere?

http://www.theroyaltyexchange.com/the-judy-garland-show-rights-up-at-auction-for-1-million/

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/20/showbiz/judy-garland-show

http://www.thewrap.com/tv/article/judy-garland-show-rights-go-auction-68371

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...w-rights-up-at-auction-for-15m-181182661.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.