CBS "The Judy Garland Show" auctioned off: Anyone got $1.5 M?*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Lawrence Schulman, Dec 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. somnar

somnar Senior Member

I don't understand how one has anything to do with the other.

2. Lawrence Schulman

Lawrence Schulman Senior Member Thread Starter

All I am saying is that if music executives better understood the importance of Garland's concert at Carnegie Hall on April 23, 1961 they might feel motivated to release it on on high resolution.

3. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

I wouldn't be shocked to see it turn up on HDTracks sometime.

4. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

5. Lawrence Schulman

Thanks for posting this, DLant. I hadn't seen it in a while. Garland's and Bennett's admiration for each other is evident.

DLant likes this.
  6. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

Sponsored by a drug manufacturer. Heh.

7. Lawrence Schulman

Drole. Très drole.

GroovinGarrett likes this.
  8. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

There's a few full episodes on YouTube, from what seems to be the first season. I was watching the second episode with Count Basie and the guys. Made me think of how amazing a Judy Garland & Count Basie album would have been. I'm positive that she would have easily held her own against the volicity of the band in the studio.

Also, had I won that Mega Millions jackpot of 636 million, The Judy Garland TV series would have been on my shopping list...

9. Lawrence Schulman

There was only one season of The Judy Garland Show. And yes, Basie and Garland would have been a great duo on LP. She did work with him again in July 1968 in Philadelphia for a concert, but that was it. While in the subjunctive mood, wouldn't it have been great for her to team up with Ellington, or why not another Nelson Riddle opus? Unfortunately, her last studio Capitol LP was the 1960 That's Entertainment!, although the London Sessions, recorded in 1960, was released for the first time in 1972. After 1960, Judy never did another studio album for the rest of her short life. Garland was largely L.A. based in the years 1965/1966, so these hypothetical albums could have been. But, Capitol was not willing to pay the million dollars she wanted for another album. One must content oneself with what there is, and not what could have been.

DLant likes this.
  10. somnar

somnar Senior Member

I don't think "importance" has anything to do with it. If they thought it would make money, they'd release it.

11. SinatraFan

SinatraFan Well-Known Member

I like the Judy Garland Show, especially the musical spots. This thread reminded me to watch the Christmas episode.

12. Lawrence Schulman

I don't think the recording would have been in print since the day it was released in 1961 until this very day were it not for the fact that it has been constantly a best-seller.

13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I always thought it was a riot that Judy often referred to Mel as "Mel Torment", which was pretty funny.

14. Lawrence Schulman

Did you know that John Lennon was quoted as calling Judy Garland "Judy Garbage"?

Vidiot likes this.
  15. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

What an interesting topic. Indeed, Torme's book is absolutely captivating.

Streisand makes an interesting comment in her box set about how Garland's hands were trembling badly during the show...and that Streisand, for many years a stage-a-phobe, said she understood. Sometimes I wonder if Streisand's general avoidance of the pitfalls of celebrities, drugs, etc, can be traced to her relationship with Garland.

But I can see the same fate with the Garland shows as with the Dean Martin shows. When Time Life put out the first volume of the Dean Martin Show a few years ago, some shows were butchered down to 15 minutes because of performance clearances. Amazingly, in these new Dean Martin T/L shows Sinatra makes not one appearance.

Even the T/L Carol Burnett shows are butchered, though less severely.

16. Lawrence Schulman

When Pioneer issued the Garland Show on DVD over a decade ago, they issued them integrally.

17. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

True, but the same true of the Dean Martin shows. There was much more in the Guthy Renker versions than in the TL set. TL absolutely butchered them. Each licensing deal could and would likely be different.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.