CCR's Chronicle (Vinyl)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DOUBTINGTHOMAS29, Apr 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DOUBTINGTHOMAS29

DOUBTINGTHOMAS29 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I just purchased a really nice copy of these lp's. I've searched the archives and there are lots of posts pertaining to the Gold Cd's, but nothing really about the vinyl. Not sure when I'll get around to cleaning my next batch of lp's, so my question is this. How do these lp's sound? Are they good, decent or poorly mastered? There is no bar code on the back and the label is Fantasy Records.

2. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

There were some copies pressed in Canada in the 80's (which made their way over the border) that had mediocre mastering with poor quality vinyl.

The U.S. LP's, I don't recall them being any great shakes.

3. DOUBTINGTHOMAS29

DOUBTINGTHOMAS29 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks John. I'm not expecting an miracles, but it would be nice if they were pleasant to listen to.

4. Iamthewalrus

Iamthewalrus goo goo g'joob

As a general rule of thumb, all CCR (vinyl or CD) sucks, with the exception of Steve's DCC and Audio Fidelity discs.

5. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

I disagree about the vinyl. I picked up some CCD vinyl, including Chronicles, and they sound pretty good, In fact, I know the SH remasters I have are good because they're EQ'd like the vinyl (although they sound quite a bit cleaner).

I did have a copy of Chronicles which had a defective side 3, but my current copy sounds good. Until I can afford all of the SH discs, the vinyl will do for me. It's also quite cheap.

6. Sarchi

Sarchi New Member

I assume you mean Steve's Analog Productions box?

Original Fantasy pressings actually sound very good, this was a jazz label with high recording standards. The problem is finding clean copies. Still, I've managed to find Bayou Country and Green River in near mint shape (GR is a deep groove), without looking very hard. I sold my MoFi Cosmo's when Steve's AP box came out, I figured it would just devalue. It was pretty good, but my Japanese pressing is almost as good and cost me 10 bucks.

So I have good to great copies of every CCR record...but I still want the SH box. It's a sickness I tell ya. :D (and to make it worse I can't decide between the 33 and 45 sets...coz the 45 doesn't include Long As I Can See The Light, one of my faves)

edit: oh yeah, Chronicles. Don't bother with it, unless you're a completist. The earlier pressings and audiophile reissues are all much better.

arisinwind likes this.
  7. ChristianL

ChristianL Senior Member

My German Bellaphone pressing sounds mediocre. But the LP version of Chronicle has one highlight: A nice edit of "I Heard It Through The Grapevine". The Cosmo's Factory version is far too long for my taste.

8. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Some of those later US copies of CCR by Fantasy (mostly those blue-label F's) sound pretty good (like the 2fers). However, I DO have a 45RPM, all the SACDs and 3 of the AA Lps Steve did. Huge difference. You just don't know how good it gets until it....does.

9. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

I've found the original blue Fantasy label vinyls - of their original albums - to be hit & miss. When its good - its real good. Steve mastered AF redbook CDs (on the SACDs) are awesome sounding, probably the best sounding CDs I have (IMO). The best of the original vinyl has a somewhat richer or 'fatter' sound - albeit not quite as 'clean.'

My best copies have the hand done matrix #'s and slightly flexible vinyl - but not RCA Dynaflex flexy. But, some of these can be poppy or noisy. There are also those almost slate-like thick non-flexing Fantasy's with the tiny machine stamped #'s. Some of these have a slighty higher than normal vinyl 'floor noise' but sound great. Then there are some of that kind that sound grainy and/or dull. Its a peculiar thing I've noticed with this label. I've also found you can't always tell by looking - you have to drop the needle on 'em. But since CCR LPs are usually not to much $ and plentiful, its possible to build a real nice sounding set. Can't speak for the comp collections like Chronicles though, never bought 'em...

arisinwind likes this.
  10. cement_head

cement_head Forum Resident

11. Gretsch6136

Gretsch6136 Forum Resident

I have a white label promo copy of Chronicle and a Blue Fantasy label copy of Chronicle Vol 2. The white label sounds poor whereas the blue label sounds quite good!

12. cement_head likes this.
  13. cement_head

cement_head Forum Resident

arisinwind likes this.
  14. I don't think I've ever seen a blue label Chronicle

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.