CD/DVD Audio Errors/Glitches Database

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris Haley, Oct 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris Haley

Chris Haley Music Lover Lurker Thread Starter

Ok I played the 2012 ZFT BWS "Aybe Sea" and what happens at six seconds is so tiny, tiny, tiny I don't know what to call it, perhaps it is a drop-out? You're right you have to be up on it to notice. Played the Ryko BWS CD, VACK-1339 Japanese mini-lp, and didn't hear the same thing happen at that mark on "Aybe Sea."

Also, I played "The Little House I Used To Live In" on the Japanese Ryko BWS (VACK-1339) and didn't hear any drop-out at all.

2. d.s.l.

d.s.l. Forum Resident ^O;O^

MFSL's Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers - Damn The Torpedoes (UD1 / UDCD 551) has what sounds like
    "digital glitches" @ 2:44 & 2:45 on the track "Even The Losers".

I don't have the Ultradisc II but these "glitches" are not present on the 2001 & 2010 Remasters or the Greatest Hits CD.

Chris Haley likes this.
  3. As explained / commented by Michal Gula, under "Original vinyl" here:

http://www.lukpac.org/~handmade/patio/vinylvscds/burntweenysandwich.html#originalcd

it seems to be worse than a mere drop-out. The chord is actually shortened. Compare your Ryko version with the 2012 version and you will hear it. The duration of the third note (or chord, not sure) - ta-da-DAAA - is different.

Chris Haley likes this.
  4. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

Jethro Tull
    Aqualung 40th:
    Times are from the beginning of the album:

5.1 mix on both DVD and Blu-ray:

Cross-Eyed Mary glitch - At about 7:53
    Cross-Eyed Mary - At about 10:42 the last few notes are erroneously repeated at the very end of the track
    My God glitch - At about 27:45
    Wind Up glitch - At about 41:27 on the Blu-ray (At about 41:24 on the DVD)

Original stereo mix on Blu-ray:

My God several severe glitches - Starting at about 24:23, then 25:31 and onward.

-------------------------->
    Thick As A Brick DVD 5.1, poor mastering which distorted parts of the recording - mastering removed on the replacement DVD for 5.1. Stereo flat transfer is OK - Remastered/remixed stereo is still too bright for my taste.

john lennonist and Chris Haley like this.
  5. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

On my Slayer - Regin in Blood cd (1st press I think) the last track "Raining Blood" starts with about 45 seconds of the previous song to go (indexing error).

Chris Haley likes this.
  6. brother1002

brother1002 I'm hungry....

On the Squeeze compilation 'EXCESS MODERATION', there is a very noticable tape flaw in the song 'Woman's World'. Amazing this got out this way.

Chris Haley likes this.
  7. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

The Chocolate Watchband's cover version of "I Ain't No Miracle Worker" has a bad dropout on the last verse during the songs title. The only CD's affected are the Revenge records twofer (198?) of the first 2 albums on one CD, The Rhino best of (1989), and Forty Four on Big Beat (1990). This was first corrected by Big Beat on their 1993 reissues and Sundazed's 1994 reissues. All other later CD reissues and other packages on Big Beat and Sundazed have this corrected as well. Forty Four on Big Beat is the only CD still in print with this anomaly.

Chris Haley likes this.
  8. Chris Haley

Thanks for that addition. I just bought a new copy of the Genesis live 1973-2007 boxset directly from Amazon (USA) and the indexing errors on both CDs 1 & 2 have been corrected. The error was track 2 on both CD 1 & 2 started at the end of track 1 before track 1 had ended, then track 2 starts over again when the CDs were on track 2.

9. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

The original CD of Edie Brickell & New Bohemians' Ghost of a Dog had a bad index mark that made the track number change in the middle of a track (Carmelito, if I remember). Also messed up ripping requiring one to piece he track together manually with an audio editor.

Chris Haley likes this.
  10. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

Bruce Springsteen - Born To Run - Gold MasterSound CD

Track indexes were off by 2 seconds. Discs were replaced by Sony.

Chris Haley likes this.
  11. Chris Haley

The above post was in reference to "Seconds Out" CDs 1 &2 in the Genesis live 1973-2007 boxset.

12. Chris Haley

Kinks Arthur (Or the Decline and Fall of the British Empire) 2011 deluxe edition has two glitches on the mono track "This Man He Weeps Tonight" (not sure where but Andrew Sandoval confirmed two glitches to members here). These glitches were later corrected for the Dave Davies Hidden Treasures CD and The Kinks In Mono boxset.

PhantomStranger likes this.
  13. larry333

larry333 Forum Resident

Steve Miller Band "The Joker" CDP 7 94445 2
    My copy has an indexing problem with track 1 and track 2. The track 2 index appears at 3:58 of "Sugar Babe" which ends about 30 seconds into track 2. "Mary Lou" starts at 00:32 of track 2.

Chris Haley likes this.
  14. jerrygene

jerrygene Forum Resident

Thanks...speaking of Hidden Treasures DYK who are 101 distribution ..they are listed as the label?

15. jerrygene

jerrygene Forum Resident

On Neu! CD, the 2nd track,
    Souderounjelul 4:51 Neu! Neu! - Remastered 2001 (1972)
    CD has an audio fade out glitch at about 1.12 ...I did contact them and they said it was normal??

Chris Haley likes this.
  16. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

Peggy Lee "Mirrors", the Japanese K2 (or whatever) remaster. It has an entire channel missing (the strings one) on the track "The Case of MJ".

I have no idea if it was ever corrected. I bought mine new in Tokyo in the early 00s.

(It also has soul-destroying Noise Reduction and is only for the trashcan, but that's another subject)

john lennonist and Chris Haley like this.
  17. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

Believe it or not, the 2012 Japan shm cd remaster edition still has the glitch on "It's In You"!

18. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

^Actually 2013 is the correct year for my above post.

Chris Haley likes this.
  19. Chris Haley

IIRC, 101 Distribution means Universal UK. Hidden Treasures was released by that company under the Sanctuary UK label.

jerrygene likes this.
  20. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

I've noticed on Joni Mitchell's "The Hissing of Summer Lawns"...track 2, The Jungle Line (from the new boxset)....there are loud pops/clicks throughout. I can't tell if they're inherent to the tapes, like on earlier versions...or not. It's a percussive track...but they just don't sound right to me.

Can anyone confirm these sounds ? Anyone have versions of this disc outside the boxset ?

Thanks...

Chris Haley likes this.
  21. 1970

1970 Forum Resident

Steely Dan Gaucho MCAD-37220

On "Time Out of Mind" my MCA CD has a momentary "dip" about a minute into the song (at the "direct from Lhasa" line). I've owned three copies of this CD over the years and they all had the same problem.

Chris Haley likes this.
  22. BlueSpeedway

That's ironic, because as you might know, an unauthorised but widely distributed CD of the album AFTER that one (Neu! 2), on the Germanofon label, famously and mistakenly corrected skips and glitches which were made on the tapes by the band. And when that album was reissued properly in 2001, inckuding the glitches as it should, people who weren't familiar with the album or its making, complained.

jerrygene likes this.
  23. BlueSpeedway

It's actually strings and a vocal track which are missing, Peggy's whispered lines.. "..how old were you when your father went away?" etc. I just double checked it because this thread reminded me to dig it out and get rid of it.

Chris Haley likes this.
  24. jerrygene

jerrygene Forum Resident

Interesting, my copy then according to Groenland has the intended or accidental(?) skip/glitch...my copies though of 2 and 3 seemed OK, last I remember....:edthumbs:

25. jerrygene

jerrygene Forum Resident

Thanks for the input..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.