CD Player or DAC Tough Decision Coming Up

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Art K, Apr 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired! Thread Starter

Just as my system was sounding perfect my CD player took a dump. It ain't just a CD player it's the beautiful Line Magnetic 515CD. This the second time and now it's out of warranty. I have over 4000 titles on CD and have no intention of ripping them to a hard drive. I have a small Luxman player as a backup but it's always had trouble reading discs. That leaves me with an Oppo BDP103. Obviously it sounds like ass compared to the LM so with a budget of about $1000 should I get a new CD player such as a Rega Apollo or should I use the Oppo as a transport and buy a DAC?

2. Art K

Oh and had this happened a month or two ago I would have bought the Oppo 205.

3. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

With a $1,000 budget, I’d get a DAC. I certaly couldn’t tell you about a $1,000 CD player that sounds better than a $1,000 DAC.

4. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident

I had the same dilemma. Got a Schiit Bifrost Multi. I love it. I figured that w an ok transport and in nice DAC I have much more flexibility. I’m wary of the longevity of CD players.

bluemooze and displayname like this.
  5. Art K

Feel free to make suggestions relative to DAC's.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  6. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

Do you have any experience with the Rega DAC? I think I’d probably rather have that with another transport than even one of Rega’s own players. Not 100% sure on that. I have both.

33na3rd likes this.
  7. Art K

I have used the Rega DAC. The original, not the R.

8. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

9. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

With that many discs you're bound to have some with pre-emphasis. Just a thought.

jfeldt likes this.
  10. Art K

I'm not sure what that means or why it matters.

mike catucci and thxphotog like this.
  11. Art K

Any thoughts on the Rega DAC-R, Schiit Bifrost Multi bit or the Musical Surroundings MyDac II.

Vinny123 likes this.
  12. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

you could have the drive replaced in the 515. May not be too bad as it's a $15 part and still widely available. I replaced the drive in my 215 and fixed the other hum issue.

I am running the AN DAC 0.1x which replaced the 502CA. I'd try second hand on DACs - should be safe buys as no moving parts and your money will go further.I have found non oversampling DACs sound better - this would include Border Patrol, Zanden (not affordable) and others.

13. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

FWIW: I use my Oppo 103 in combination with a Vanity HD card to play ALL of my spinning digital media through my PS Audio Direct Stream DAC. And I could not be happier with the combination.

displayname likes this.
  14. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident

I have the Multi. I really like it. Smooth and w a black background. I have an Oppo 83se which is hot rodded for audio. It’s very nice but for CDs the Schiit is really a step up. I really didn’t know what to expect fr the Multi, but it’s great. I highly recommend it. I bought it due to recommendations fr this site.

Art K likes this.
  15. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I am way out of my depth on CDs, DACs, Transports, streaming, networks, etc. I've been a hardcore vinyl guy since the '60s. But need to accommodate digital -issue is I didn't want to throw crazy money into it. So, while I am holding off on buying a CEC transport and my friend has been on my to buy a Bricasti DAC (not cheap), I got an Oppo BDP 95 from someone I know and am having Gary Dews send me that Border Patrol DAC with the beefier power supply. The Oppo can handle all kinds of discs, but i'm most interested to hear how standard Redbook sounds with the Border Patrol. Happy to report back-- I want to roll the rectifier in the Border Patrol --sort of an odd tube.

Art K likes this.
  16. Art K

Got a link to the part. I'll buy it if it's that easy. Meanwhile I think it really is time for a DAC.

displayname likes this.
  17. Art K

This is really good stuff guys!

Dan Steele and displayname like this.
  18. Uri Cohen

Uri Cohen Forum Resident

Get an used CD player and focus heavily on the DAC. The Bifrost Multibit should be on your must listen list for DACs.

19. Art K

I have an Oppo 103 which I think will make a fine transport.

20. Art K

Right now I'm leaning toward either the Border Patrol SE SPDIF or the Schiit Gungnir Multibit.

rodentdog likes this.
  21. Art K

More flexibility with the Schiit especially since I can't afford the Border Patrol with both SPDIF and USB.

displayname likes this.
  22. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

If I were in your shoes I would consider the new Rotel RCD-1572 cd player at $900. I have always liked the sound of Rotel players and to me they seem well built.

23. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

Art K likes this.
  24. Art K

I did look at that player. I used to own an RCD971.

rodentdog likes this.
  25. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

Cool my first good CD player was an RCD-951. I remember it as having a nice warm sound but it's been a long time. Did you get to hear the 1572? I would like to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.