cd-r feedback please

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by poidog, Jul 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poidog

poidog Senior Member Thread Starter

Has anybody used Digital Research cd-r's? I have the opportunity to pick up 200 for $10. But, if they're horrible it's not such a good deal.
    Thanks in advance,
    Tom

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Are they an in-store special? Nice price:)

3. romanotrax

romanotrax Forum Resident

I use the and they seem to be very good. I haven't had a bad one in about 400 used. Where are they so cheap??? If I may ask.

4. poidog

poidog Senior Member Thread Starter

They are at Best Buy. The price just dropped today. Not many left at my store though. They are probably a close-out. They were originally priced at $119. Then there was a $50. rebate, then another price drop, and now $10.
    Tom

5. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

If they're branded, they should be OK. Unbranded CDs tend to be a wee bit senstitive to enviornment.

6. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

It's not a good idea to get unfamiliar brands, especially THAT cheap! Stick with makor brands like Sony, Imation, and maybe Memorex. And, those are only if you can't get Mitsui.

7. Dr. Winston

Dr. Winston New Member

Best Buy also has 50---32x Imation CDRs on sale in the SC area today for $11.99 with $10.00 mail in rebate----net cost $1.99 for 50- these are branded "frosted" face and perform very well IMO-I've used Imation and never had any coasters. One rebate per household.

Dr. Winston

8. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

maybeMemorex, NOT!

9. Grant

Yeah, well, I haven't had any trouble with Memorex for the last three years. I now believe the main problem I had with them before is that I recorded the blanks at 1x with track-at-once on a bad HP 7200 burner.

I will no longer touch TDK or Fuji. I have very bad luck with the old Maxell of five years ago.

10. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Both Maxell and Memorex have used different types of CDRs, dyes and make. Mitsui has never done this.

Some Memorex, Sony and Maxell types have been rock solid. Next month, who knows? If you're a stickler, choose Sony, Mitsui. Most CDR types aren't bad. But if you want the best...

11. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hi,

Great advice, Mr. Sckott..... and when else in music history have we been able to buy the best 80 min. blanks for under $1? Geez.... at these prices why is anyone using anything but the best?

-Jeffrey

12. RDK

RDK Active Member

I've never had a problem with Memorex, Sony, TDK, or Maxcel that wasn't my own damn fault. The only blanks I've ever had problems with were cheap Office Depot cdrs - the first ones i bought when i didn't know any better. Now I'm using the last of my Kodak golds.

13. Grant

I've got my little stockpile of Kodak gold and gold/silver blanks. I save them for the most important burns only. My second tier is Sony. Imation and Memorex are my third. For all else, i'm trying to use up the last of my TDKs. After they are gone, no more! My TDKs, no matter who made them, are going bad every which way!

I like to keep a large supply of blanks around so I don't have to keep running to the store for more.

14. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

Are green bottom CD-Rs inferior to silver bottom ones?

Also, I had 6 month old, silver top/green bottom TDK turn bronze on the top. It doesn't seem to bother the sound, but I'm going to reburn it anyway.

15. petzi

petzi Forum Resident

TDK Reflex Ultra 24 x speed are actually Taiyo Yuden, and these are the best I ever had. However, other types of TDK CD-R are possibly made by other manufacturers. 16x speed CD-Rs for example are probably average stuff manufactured by Ritek.

If you don´t mind a little German language, check out this web site which has a comprehensive database of brands and manufacturers of CD-R media.

http://www.cdr-info.de/index_cdrohlinge.php

16. Mattb

Mattb Senior Member

Taiyo Yuden are also considered some of the best. Also the Fujifilm Japanese made cd-r's are ALSO Taiyo Yuden. They are in abundance at my local Best Buy, Staples etc... I do have some Mitsui's stashed away though

:D

17. Grant

Dye color has little bearing on quality. The thing to look for is how reflective the record side is. The more reflective, the better.

18. Grant

Taiyo Yuden used to make all Sony blanks. Sony has since opened up their own plant but still use Taiyo Yuden. Taiyo Ygen-made blanks are also on my tier two list.

TDK in the US is mostly made by Ritek, which seems to have improved their reliability in the last couple of years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.