Cddb Esp?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiodrome, Jan 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member Thread Starter

Has this ever happened to any of you?

Here's the scenario:

I record an LP onto my Mac G4 (For this example it was John Hall's 1970 debut album, "Action," which was released in Japan way back when and is now OOP). I de-click, clean up the beginnings and ends, create new fades, etc and then load them into my Adaptec (Roxio) Jam program, set the intervals (this album also had a couple of segues) and then burn away.

I bring the CD home and pop int into my PC and launch WinAmp to check it out and low and behold it says... John Hall - Action (English). Accept Match?

How the hell did CDDB know what record this was? This has happened to me on a couple of other occassions also and it has me completely mystified. I can understand if the tracks were copied from a CD and then compiled because the timings would still be intact, but this is a CD with custom created (length-wise) song files.

And as I'm writing this post, I'm watching the song titles go by...
    :confused:

Can someone shed some light on this?

2. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

3. GregY

GregY New Member

Fuzzy logic / fuzzy matches.

4. thenexte

thenexte Forum Resident

Nothing to do with fuzzy logic, it is the combination and sequence of track lengths that defines an album in cddb.

The hash algorithm is able to select close matches even if songs are not matching up exactly in lengths.
    -wolf

5. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

As I said in the previous thread on this subject, there is an algorithm that converts the data (the combination of track times) into a number (the hashing function). Occasionally the number this hashes to when sent to CDDB returns several matches and you have to select the right one. The code for the hashing function is in the public domain - at least it used to be. Two different discs can (and do) hash to the same number.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.