CDs and Vinyl outselling digital downloads

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by telepicker97, Mar 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

As nice as it may sound, universal basic income doesn’t work because people will never contribute equally. That’s politics though. This is about music which is going nowhere but forward. The one who profits will be the one who figures out how to deliver to the masses in the way they want it served up. That guy owes no one anything. If you don’t like the sound of that, be that guy.

2. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

can always go back to this

[​IMG]

MagicAlex and sunking101 like this.
  3. dogilv

dogilv Forum Resident

I think change makes people depressed. Things will probably change but I honestly don't understand why people get upset about it.I have more music at my disposal than ever. I can consume most of it in a multitude of ways: Iphone/ headphones, blutooth speakers, a sophisticated 2 channel home system, an awesome car system, outdoor deck speakers, and on and on.

I have my own music and I stream in a couple of different ways, which is an incredibly cheap way to discover endless amounts of artists new and old. Whats the problem? There has NEVER been a better time to be an audiophile/music lover.

Gaslight, vertical, jupiter8 and 3 others like this.
  4. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

yes, but not a musician.

5. MaestroDavros

MaestroDavros Forum Resident

6. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Streaming will NEVER disappear. It may mutate and the big pipes today may not be the big pipes tomorrow. But streaming music is here to stay.

As streaming becomes ever more pervasive (it's available in your car, on your phone, in your home), the average person has ever-decreasing compulsion to own the same music that they can get streaming.

There is the minority of us who value audio quality or the tactile nature of physical product, and we'll keep the lights on at some of the pressing plants. But the world at large has moved on, and they aren't rounding back later.

There will be some bumps in the road when Spotify finally manages to pull their fast one on clueless investors. When they actually have to show profits instead of billion dollar losses, they're going to have to cut off the free trenches. And that's a huge segment who will then have to decide how they're going to get their music. They could buy subscriptions to one of the providers; they could go back to torrent downloading (increasing squeezed); they could go back to buying downloads; they could buy physical product; or they could just decide music isn't important enough to them. I highly doubt that buying downloads is the path they'll generally take.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
  7. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum? Thread Starter

8. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Awesome! I hated iTunes from day 1. i'll be glad to see them gone for good.

9. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

You kinda do. The most recent, on Spotify anway. It often says the year and you can tell from the artwork often too.

10. telepicker97

Why only Redbook?

We have HD video. 24bits should be the new standard.

Or SACD.

11. sunking101

It'll be on straight after Money by Pink Floyd.:D

JoeF. likes this.
  12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I an't getting rid of any of my CDs ...streaming is not an option...I made rips and do my own streaming from my HD...freedom, digitally that is.
    : )

13. telepicker97

Right - I have 10k CDS and 6k LPs...

Keepin' 'em.

14. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Yeah, we did this thread already.

But I will take this opportunity to say - I have an issue with people who demand everyone "get with it man, streaming is the future." Yeah, I don't want to get with it. I like to have control of my library. I don't fear change, I fear loss of freedom. Freedom to choose a specific mastering, or an album that's no longer available to stream because of licensing issues. And I don't want to listen on my phone or computer. I want to use my stereo, dammit. :winkgrin:

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
    Joseph, vertical, ggjjr and 4 others like this.
  15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

nice collection...I learned my lesson.

16. Ristifer

Ristifer Forum Resident

I vastly prefer physical products. I own a ton of them. However, I also enjoy having iTunes at my disposal. There are so many albums I can access there that I cannot even think about buying, either because they're not readily available here, or they're grossly expensive. I'm not an expert on who gets money from which sales and such, but I do know that I have a nice combined library. It's nice to be able to find what I can. I can always put those downloaded albums on my own CDs as well. It's not quite the same, I know, but it's something. Better than nothing.

17. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

done

vertical and telepicker97 like this.
  18. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Yeah but now I look really dumb.

Me: "Yeah, we've done this thread already."
    New thread reader: "Uh yeah, you're posting in it, dummy."

My reputation is ruined. RUINED! All because stereoptic merged the threads. Thanks a lot.

I'm kidding, in case that wasn't abundantly clear.

troggy, stereoptic and telepicker97 like this.
  19. telepicker97

ROFL

stereoptic likes this.
  20. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Shelby Lynne also said this as well.

21. sunking101

You just do it on the phone, tablet or computer itself.

eddiel and billnunan like this.
  22. Pal Joey

Pal Joey Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

I'm new here, so I have an excuse for not reading the 473 other threads about this topic. And please also forgive me for saying what countless other people have without a doubt said far more eloquently. But here's my two cents (one cent per thought):

Music is for me a physical thing that you buy and you own (and have the option to resell on Discogs or Amazon or wherever!). I understand the appeal of Spotify (which my mother-in-law calls "Spoffy"), but it makes me feel like I'm browsing through someone else's record collection, without even the tactile/visual experience to enjoy.

And second, I think that the purveyors of music, from majors to micro-indies, need to understand that physical media is transitioning from a mass-market thing to a niche market thing. The ones that survive the shakeout will thrive. And, with any luck, we'll still be able to buy CDs and LPs, even if the pickings are inevitably slimmer.

PJ

stereoptic, spsimmons and Thievius like this.
  23. telepicker97

Me too, or I'd have more ;)

Michael likes this.
  24. 7MusicFan6

7MusicFan6 Forum Resident

I know that people love convenience, but these threads inevitably feature someone telling us that streaming is good because you no longer "have to walk over to the shelf and put the disc in the player." Or "put it back on the shelf." That takes 30 seconds. Does the fact that calling it up on the phone only takes 15 seconds really constitute some great savings?

no.nine and telepicker97 like this.
  25. ggjjr

ggjjr Forum Resident

I don't think anyone has touched on this, but being someone who doesn't play an instrument, can't sing, and can't even read music, ever since I started buying music I feel like I have a genie in a bottle. It seems magical to me that I actually own these sounds and can play them at will.

DHamilton, Pal Joey and luckybaer like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.