Cds demise, or not?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Technocentral, Jul 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wrappedinsky

wrappedinsky Forum Resident

For whatever it's worth, I just rented a car on a trip to Europe, and the sonofa-bleeping-blimpity-blimp had NO CD PLAYER! (Can you tell I was a bit frustrated and that I'm still a fan of the media?) European radio was killing me, too, because as I drove through the gorgeous landscapes of France, Switzerland and Italy, every radio station seemed to be playing the same dance songs, whether in French, Italian, German or English. It drove me nuts. I had brought a few discs over for my driving music, but they stayed in my backpack, dang it.
    Oh, and had to take a car in to the shop in the States, so casually walked around the lot to see what the new Honda interiors looked like. Not a CD player to be found. Sigh...

SandAndGlass and MitchLT like this.
  2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

NOT DEAD...no matter how much the media lies about the fake demise weekly...pay no attention to that idiot behind the shadow of lies and deceit...

RSteven, dalem5467 and Fishoutofwater like this.
  3. Michael

EXACTLY! if one can afford both and can deal with the mishaps of modern vinyl...why not? : )

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  4. Michael

yea, scarily inviting...

RSteven likes this.
  5. Michael

no matter how hard they try they can't convince us to kill it or jump on the CD IS DEAD bandwagon...they really wanted to regain control over us with streaming...

6. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

CDs are still a billion dollar industry. Or just south of a billion according to 2017 numbers. And that's just in the US. Is it in decline? Certainly. Is it in its final death throes? No, I wouldn't go that far at all.

The only thing the Best Buy situation tells me is that the market has changed radically from brick and mortar store fronts to online distribution. Which is not limited to compact discs, by the way. Just like a lot of things, including music, convenience is a consistent and ever growing determination factor in the way we buy goods/services in 2018.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  7. jeffd7030

jeffd7030 I can't complain, but sometimes I still do.

I welcome the "demise" and hope to find more in the used bins and thrift stores!

8. JFSebastion

JFSebastion Forum Resident

People said the same thing about vinyl, about cassettes and 8 Track tapes, Beta or Laser Disc and none of them ( except vinyl ) are in production unless you count specialty cassettes made by bands for nostalgia's sake. Should some of them die out? Probably, but as long as someone is willing to buy a format, somebody will be there to sell it.

Bevok likes this.
  9. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Well said! The only thing I'll miss about Best Buy when they're gone are the free restrooms.

10. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I think market forces may eventually do some serious damage to availability once more people get interested in downloading Some will also continue to believe all the bellowing about "horrible-sounding-digital-compared-to-God's-own-format''The-Vinyl'".

But either way, the real winner in this topic? Clickbait websources looking to pronounce common things dead just so you will link it to your brother-in-law.

11. TheGMaster

TheGMaster Forum Resident

Not. Besides, this is another one of those sensationalist article. I hate to beat a dead horse but people said the same thing about vinyl in 1992, and look at where we are in 2018. I have no doubt that CD's will start come back in style within about 8-10 years if not less than that, because of the fact that it is a physical product that is convenient, durable and user-friendly. Anybody who states something about the market forces of today should remember that things can change, as they did with vinyl.

Dynamic Ranger, xybert and Brian Lux like this.
  12. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

It seems like early on into 90% of the threads I read here these days say something like "That thread has already been done before".

When ever I read that I think to myself, well, OK, and so has the comment "That thread has already been done before, before, before, before, before..."

Excuse my, I think my needle is stuck! :nyah:

13. tone ded freb

tone ded freb Senior Member

This forum is not representative. With CD sales at roughly 10% of their peak, yeah, they're dead. This doesn't mean some aren't collectible or that that there will never be a year-over-year increase again (though there hasn't been since a small one in 2004), but they will never get anywhere near their peak sales again and probably not even close to 20% of peak, which I think would take a catalyst nowhere on the horizon.

[​IMG]

14. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

The difference being that CD sales have plummeted since 2005. Total units that year were around 700 million -- then down from a peak of over 900 million in 2000. Sales for last year were around 85 million. While that's still a huge number of units overall, shedding sales to the tune of 88% over the last 12 years isn't exactly a positive sign, hence the doomy articles.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    Bevok likes this.
  15. ChazFromCali

ChazFromCali INTJ

I love the fact people think they're obsolete and also that there's no nostalgia connected to them.... yet. Enables me to get loads of $1.29 CD's at my local Goodwill Outlet (big box warehouse) stores from people getting rid of their collections. Lemmings.

16. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Niche products do better online than in physical stores.

17. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Some of these downloaded albjms cost almost a month's streaming. I'm sure they still sell plenty whem the price is knocked down too 99c, although those sales are probably way down on their peak.

18. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Yes, loads of CDs in charity shops, but very few that I will actually buy.

ChazFromCali and Fullbug like this.
  19. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I played one of my CD-Rs that must be at least 15 years old the other day & had no problems.

bluesky and fluffskul like this.
  20. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

And I don't give a **** what happens after I'm gone. I just need something to play my CDs on while I'm around. I don't know enough to predict how long CD-playing drives will continue to be made. Reasonably-priced turntables are still being manufactured. Is there some reason reasonably-priced CD playing devices can't continue being produced?

21. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Well, ignoring conflating official pre-recorded CDs with CD-Rs, I've only had a few problems over the years myself. I'd say fewer than 5 percent ever gave me any problems.

22. Optical drives will still be commonly produced for many more years. There is just too much content out there on DVD and CD for that market to evaporate overnight.

23. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

It s difficult to get a cd-player in the car these days. Took out my new car-a beatiful BMW-manufactured mini-Cooper in june. I tried but no cd-player. I drive a lot and own lot s of cd-s. Is this bad. Not really since a lot are available on streamingsservice and the rest I want to listen to I have in my I-pad. At home I still play my cd-s though and still buy some -ecspecially boxed set.
    Don t think cd ever will go away but it s not the way most people experienc music these days. Neither is vinyl to be honest. People stream and download-that s a fact
    To talk about a Come-back for cassettes is laughable exept within small circles of nostalgic nerds
    Music will live on-had existed for thousands of years compared to the maybe 100 years of recorded music

24. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Oh, I have no doubt that the big factors driving the shift to streaming are cost and convenience, which are always the drivers in a music media format's adoption. But I also think that people in the U.S. have come to like the service model for media vs. a product model. Netflix's success has been pivotal, as has the rapid adoption of all-you-can-eat cell phone data plans. People like not having physical stuff and the like being able to stream whatever they want when ever they want wherever they are. This shift is more fundamental really than just a shift in format, its a shift in consumption model from product model to service model.

Hermes and Bevok like this.
  25. sleeptowin

sleeptowin Forum Resident

not this again. the other thread hasn't finished yet

The_Windmill likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.