Celebration Day (Led Zeppelin) 10 years on....

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Eric Weinraub, Nov 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident Thread Starter

We're about to celebrate the 10 year anniversary of their legendary one off performance at O2 arena in London. I have to say, this show absolutely kicks ass and had they backed it up with a full fledged tour it would have shattered every record for attendance/money out there. Overall, they deliver a better performance than they did on The Song Remains the Same. How are zep fans feeling about this show and recording 10 years on?

905, bhazen, enro99 and 4 others like this.
  2. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

Love it. Glad they did it. Extra glad it was a one off.

3. JPJs Bass Guitar

JPJs Bass Guitar Forum Resident

As someone who attended the show, it seems incredible that it was so long ago. Seems like a dream really.

At the show I was standing (with my pregnant wife) about 20 feet from the stage and it was surreal to watch Led Zeppelin.

Highlights were/are numerous but on the night I felt In My Time Of Dying, For Your Life, No Quarter and Kashmir were the standouts. Still do.

It was a privilege to have been there.

squittolo, Dflow, wwright and 39 others like this.
  4. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

Holy crap it's already been 10 years? I really wish they would tour, but I don't think it will ever happen.

longdist01 likes this.
  5. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I play selections from the audio release fairly frequently, but upon close examination, as a whole it is a bit of an uneven show. And really, JP is the weak-link at this show. Jason Bonham plays his heart out and plays with fire, JPJ is the consistent anchor that he always was, and Plant is in very fine form. JP on the other hand really struggles to execute his solos, some are quite cringe-worthy. Still, there are some tremendous moments and bona fide highlights. It is very cool that they did the show, played a great set one last time after the misses at Live Aide and the 40th Atlantic show. Glad they ended on a high note, glad Plant declined the lucrative follow-up tour.

Cledwyn, RyanC3082, audiotom and 18 others like this.
  6. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

I think I found a download the day after. I thought it was wonderful but haven't listened to it since. I keep meaning to buy the DVD

ohnothimagen likes this.
  7. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Along with "Trampled Under Foot," those still come across as the standouts ten years later.

8. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Just played the vinyl box last weekend. Still love it.

johnny q, Vinyl_Blues and Sean like this.
  9. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident Thread Starter

No doubt that Jason played his heart out.... I don't agree about JP. His solos on In My Time of Dying, No Quarter, and Since I've Been Loving You hold up very well against the glory days.

stax o' wax, 905, coffeetime and 4 others like this.
  10. nikosvault

nikosvault Forum Resident

Kashmir was almost too epic. Bordering on turning into a supervillain theme. It was the highlight of the night though.

Page had trouble when he tried soloing (I guess his injury had something to do with that), but the riffs were still tight.

Overall I wish they had been a bit more adventurous with the setlist. I think they picked "For Your Life" because it was easy to play.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
    PacificOceanBlue likes this.
  11. evh5150

evh5150 Forum Resident

They may have played some songs in a different key, and they may have fixed a few errors after the show. They may not have had Bonzo.

But boy did they knock it out of the park.

BDC, blind_melon1, Nielsoe and 15 others like this.
  12. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

I feel sad, same as I did 10 years ago when Ahmet Ertegun died.

The band did the right thing to play one show in his honor. For that , I have a lot of respect.

13. PDK

PDK Forum Resident

It was an impulse buy at Guitar Center.... 2 cd/dvd/blu ray. Pretty much an accidental purchase. I am extremely happy that i did. Love it.

14. The show was great, I thought it was fantastic. It was long overdue in being released, and I am very glad it was a one off and that it was their final show.

15. MicSmith

MicSmith Forum Resident

Not played the album for quite some time. Am planning to have a concentrated listen to albums released since 2000 as they tend to get forgotten about.... So this will get an airing sometime soon.

16. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

Loved it. I still get goosebumps just thinking about when Page launches into the solo on "Black Dog," it's the real deal -- Zepp shaking the steel girders and bouncing off the rafters of the arena like in days of old. I wish there had been more low-key Easter eggs like the rehearsal recordings. In fact I wish I could hear every solo Page played on every individual rehearsal of "Since I've Been Loving You," because both of the two we have are truly unique and just....magical. Clams and all!

blind_melon1 and Vinyl_Blues like this.
  17. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

A noble endeavor done for noble reasons, not to mention both a fine and fitting epitaph to the Zeppelin legacy (even though without Bonzo, it really wasn't Zeppelin to me).

Glad Plant didn't mess it up going on tour thereafter... when you hit a home run, leave the field. Zeppelin's reputation and legacy were cast in amber that night; again, why mess with that?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  18. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Great show, too bad it couldn't have been a better sounding release. My dog can't be in the same room with that high pitch noise

Isaac McHelicopter likes this.
  19. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

I really can't stand that that's ten years ago. Time goes too fast.

20. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

There's a few things to nitpick about, but it was a real Led Zeppelin show and historic event.
    It was a classic Led Zeppelin presentation, no wigs or noticeable hair dye, the energy wasn't contrived. Honestly I never play the album, but play the DVD now and then.

tmtomh likes this.
  21. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Wow, ten years ago. . . I’ll never forget it. The months spent securing a ticket, the postponement when Jimmy injured his hand, burning all my frequent flier miles to get there, landing late in the evening and not being able to sleep, going to the O2 where 20,000 people had to pick up tickets, falling asleep at some sushi place in the O2 and missing my chance at getting to the front of the stage, grabbing a spot on the side of the soundboard, cheering Paul Rodgers, booing Foreigner, being blown away when, despite all fears, they put on a great show, and foolishly leaving during the encore because I had a 6:00 am flight and I was sure they would tour.

You know, I guess I understand why they never played again, but I really wish that they had gone forward with the tour. Because, it would have meant so much to all those guys on the Zep fan boards to have been able to see them.

22. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

Been awhile since I listened to the show, but I remember trying to avoid setlist spoilers at work while the show was happening. Finally got the first recording a couple days later and sat on my couch in the dark, completely immersing myself. I was hopeful they would do a couple more one-offs in NY and LA, so I could bring my dad to see them at the Garden again (his first concert was 9/19/70 when he was 15), but the single final statement is perfectly appropriate. Especially considering how well they pulled it off.

ohnothimagen, Sean and PDK like this.
  23. Rudi

Rudi Forum Resident

Too difficult to tell. Tried watching the DVD, but the seizure-inducing editing made it impossible. I remember counting how many seconds each shot was. I don't think I ever made it past 1 second. Absolutely unwatchable. Shame. Never bothered with the CDs.

24. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

What a ridiculous reason to deprive yourself of experiencing such an historic event

RyanC3082, 905, bhazen and 7 others like this.
  25. Rudi

Rudi Forum Resident

Oh well, ridiculous or not, I couldn't deal with the editing. Maybe I'll try the CDs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.