Changing music tastes, recommendations welcomed

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by draganm, Jan 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

Sounds like a job for The Mule...

D.D.

2. Davey

Davey NP: Jane Weaver ~ Love in Constant Spectacle (LP)

That Caspian Dust and Disquiet is good. Very heavy, dark, and emotional, and beautiful at times too. Didn't get much talk around here, but mostly instrumental, in fact, four songs in before any vocals. Pretty good sound for a modern rock release too, DR9 on the CD. It was album of the year at Records Of The Year - 2015 which is where I first heard of it.

StarDoG likes this.
  3. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

To add to my prior post:

klockwerk likes this.
  4. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

5. calgary669

calgary669 Forum Resident

Another vote for Airbag! Lovely material (but not all instrumental).

StarDoG and TheSeldomSeenKid like this.
  6. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

7. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

Its 2018 & you appear to be able to use the internet (after all you're on this forum) & yet you can't find new music.

I find new music every day - some is old stuff I haven't heard before - some is new. I wish I had enough time to listen to it all to get a full appreciation.

There's gold in them thar hills

Terrapin Station likes this.
  8. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

Halfwit likes this.
  9. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Go nuts, dude (or dudette): Bert Jansch | official website

10. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

or

(Listen all the way thru. It goes places.)

11. Gregster

Gregster Forum Resident

Here you go....

* Stone Temple Pilots....Their whole catalog is awesome, & will sit well with you. A great "modern band" IMO.

* Be Bop Deluxe...Great band from the 1970's that closed-shop way-too-soon. You'll love this.

* Robben Ford...A great musician that will give you your modern sound needs, whilst infusing your ears with classic rock & blues guitar tones, but with very creative jazz melodies. If only music in general was moving in this direction....

Enjoy,

Gregster

12. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Mahavishnu Orchestra's Inner Mounting Flame and Birds of Fire, Weather Report's Heavy Weather are great starters for jazz/rock fusion.

13. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Have you explored Steely Dan yet? If not, check out -

Katy Lied
    Royal Scam
    Aja
    Gaucho

If you have never heard the Pat Metheny Group, an influential, important, and accessible jazz fusion group, check out -

Still Life Talking

Have you ever heard the Doobie Brothers' album, Takin' It To Streets, the first album with Michael McDonald, a frequent contributor to Steely Dan? He contributed the jazzy hits including the title tune and "It Keeps You Running". It's a great album.

I don't know if you're familiar with a lot of Earth, Wind and Fire, but their live album, Gratitude, is spectacular! From funk to soul to jazz, they incorporated a melange of music, including African rhythms. They even had a hit collaboration with soul/jazz pianist, Ramsey Lewis called "Sun Goddess." I actually have a live straight ahead jazz Ramsey Lewis album with Maurice White, the lead singer for EWF, playing the drums in the band. Gratitude is a 3 sides live, 1 side studio album, which is an amazing introduction to EWF.

Are you familiar with Tower Of Power? They are considered to be the finest brass section around, and have played behind many rock bands. But they're known for their James Brown inspired jazz/soul/funk. Hits include "What Is Hip?", "You Ought To Be Having Fun", and "You're Still A Young Man." Check out -

"Live and In Living Color", a great live album that shows off everything that is great about them.

14. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

Bonobo: Black Sands and Sweetness are really great.

15. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

Return to forever.

danielbravo likes this.
  16. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I agree with @Tristero's recommendation of Canterbury music. When I read that the OP flipped his lid over Traffic's "Low Spark of High-Heeled Boys", this is the first thing that jumped into my head (that he might dig):

Egg - "A Visit to Newport Hospital"

17. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

Another vote for the last three Talk Talk albums. I’d start with Spirit of Eden. If you find that too accessible, then go for Laughing Stock; if not, try the Colour of Spring. All ace, but LS in particular requires some work from the listener to appreciate it.

18. draganm

draganm Forum Resident Thread Starter

wow, that's a lot to p4rocess, will take a me a while. I quickly realized most things you guys listed are very hard ot find on vinyl. I asked or Camel at the record store and the guy just said " good luck, but it's the rock section if we have it". I wound up grabbing some stuff kinda randomly, stuff I'm not familiar with
    this is what I picked up, I probably won't like most of it but it was free with the store credit so
    Eurythmics, just because they were on the radio when I was a young man and kinda ground breaking in their sound, got 1984 and their Self titled 1st album.
    John Kasandra A Higher Plateau 1969
    Ben E. King, a Best of, German pressing
    A couple of John Mayall, Blues Fusion and Memories
    Art of Dave Brubeck, pretty sure it's a best of
    I'll keep an eye out for the stuff listed above

19. Audioresearch

Audioresearch Forum Resident

Sigur Ross'
    Takk, ()
    Great albums

20. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

Check out Poco's s/t album from 1970. Has quite a bit of rock-jazz elements (which is surprising since they are country-rock lol):

21. jalexander

jalexander Forum Resident

I think The War on Drugs would be a good option for you. They are a current band who draw on a lot of the influences you like. Strong roots in 70s and 80s rock with a mellow, instrumental vibe.

22. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Porcupine Tree

23. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

Get some of David Sylvian's stuff. It's slow and meditative, but never boring. The music really draws you in. He's a great artist and songwriter. Try Secrets Of The Beehive, Rain Tree Crow, or Dead Bees on A Cake. Or dial up the Everything And Nothing compilation on YouTube and give him a listen.

24. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

That’s a fantastic list! I have a lot of it, and I’m definitely looking into the ones I’m not familiar with. I haven’t bought an album in over a year, and thought I was done, but I may have to pick some of those up. I never heard that term before, I thought those albums were either fusion or spiritual jazz.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  25. Spinmeout

Spinmeout Forum Resident

Steve Hillage - Fish rising

Manuel Gottsching - Inventions for the electric guitar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.