"Charlie And The Chocolate Factory" teaser trailer

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Dec 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

2. FredCamp

FredCamp Senior Member

I'll see it. It looks interesting, but it will never replace the original.

3. taxman150

taxman150 Forum Resident

I will probably see it too, even though I also don't expect it to match the original. If there is a current "big name" actor that can pull off the role though, I think Johnny Depp is it. He seems to be at his best playing quirky characters such as this without taking it over the top like a Mike Myers or Jim Carrey would.

4. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

Did somebody say "Teaser"??
    ;)
    Peace-
    Norm

5. voicebug

voicebug Senior Member

OK. I'm not going to lie. I'm really, really looking forward to this one.

Loved the original movie, loved the two Chocolate Factory books as a kid.
    Tim Burton is so hit or miss but I really hope he pulls this one off. The trailer looks great to me.

Here's the big four I'm looking forward to this Summer:

1. Star Wars--Revenge of The Sith
    2. Charlie and The Chocolate Factory
    3. Batman Begins
    4. The Fantastic Four

Should be a good popcorn Summer!

6. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

7. whitenoise

whitenoise New Member

So, having read the book(s) before watching the movie (and having seen the movie for the first time in the late 80's), I've gotta report that the movie sucks. They completely missed the immersive quality of the book. How you get that obscenely mediocre movie from the incredibly vivid descriptions in the book is beyond me.

Further, (a) this material is perfect for Tim Burton. If anyone can do it justice, surely he can. And (b), the trailer looks really promising.

8. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

As a child I saw the movie before I read the book (I love both, by the way). When I heard Tim Burton was doing a remake, I was kind of excited. Sure he's made some bad films (Planet of the Apes anyone?) but it seems like the source material is right up his alley. Johnny Depp seemed an inspired choice to play Wonka.

I'm confuses by the teaser, is he remaking the original movie, or re-adapting the book? It looks like it will be a horrible mish-mash of both. I certainly hope I'm wrong, this is a film that suits Burton perfectly.

9. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

That's my feeling too...not to mention I'm not all that crazy about Gene Wilder either. Maybe it's just me--I get more out of books than I do films. But while I didn't hate the original movie, I didn't particularly care to see it again either. (And I saw it during its original theatrical run...this dates a person. ;) )

Does anyone remember what the second book was about? I haven't read it in decades!

10. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

All I can remember is the part where the glass elevator is up in space and gets attacked by the knids! :eek:

I always thought "The Twits" was a great Dahl book!

11. -=Rudy=-

I vaguely remember the elevator being up in space.

I also slightly remember James & The Giant Peach...also a bit surreal, as I recall it.

12. taxman150

taxman150 Forum Resident

I love all of the Dahl books that I have read, but my favorite is probably Danny the Champion of the World - a very nice father/son story with the typical Dahl humor that is so enchanting to young readers.

13. Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez Forum Resident

The visuals look amazing, and the initial thought of Depp in the Wonka role was intriguing, but watching the trailer and seeing Depp makes me feel this is so...wrong...

Hoping for the best!

14. voicebug

voicebug Senior Member

The second book is called 'Charlie and The Great Glass Elevator.' I don't remember a whole lot about this one either but I remember I loved reading it as a child. I know that it starts where the glass elevator goes to Charlies house and picks up the rest of the family. There are adventures in the elevator and also when they get back to the factory. One segment I remember is that the really old grandparents try one of Wonka's candies or pills and they turn into babies.

If Burton's version is a smash, there's probably a good chance that he'll make a movie from this second book. You think?

15. -=Rudy=-

That sounds familiar--you have a better memory than I do! :D
    I have heard this from more than one person...maybe the performance will surprise everyone!

16. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

WOW... looks amazing... although I haven't seen the original movie or read the book...

I like Burton, and I have to say, there's not one movie by him I dislike, so I expect the best:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.