Cheap Speaker Wire...I know...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Adam, Aug 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adam

Adam Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm really enjoying this forum. So, I'm about to run wire thru my attic and drop it down thru the ceiling to my 5 M&K S1B satellites. I'm currently using Monster Powerline 2 for my stereo pair (which is ugly and thick, but it sounds a heck of a lot better than zip cord) but I'll need a lot more for 5 speakers. I see some attractive deals on ebay for 100' runs, but I'd like to hear from you guys. I know it's a matter of personal taste, but I don't have the time, money or inclination to try a bunch of different brands. I figurre I need about 100'.
    As for interconnects, I have a few pairs of decent ones, and I'm reluctant to spend $75.00 per pair, tho the Grover cables are seductive...I'm rambling...Anyway, I only want to crawl into my attic once to run these lines, so I need something i can live with. THANKS!!!!

Regards,
    Adam

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

100 feet? That's a mighty long run. Beyond my area of expertise.

Anyone else?

3. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

How long is your lonest run from the amp? As in, the longest single run?

4. Clay

Clay Forum Resident

Hi Adam,

I used tributaries OFC 14g in wall wire for my ceiling run to my surrounds for my system in the family room. I like it because it is 2 discrete wires in a jacket. One consideration is OFC so it will last longer without oxidation.
    I ran about 35' runs to some Rock Solid surrounds.

It is nice looking, easy to use and not very expensive.

If you need any tips on running the wires down the walls let me know.

Clay

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Clay,

Thanks for helping.

That's what is great about this place!

6. Adam

Wow! That was a fast response guys. I think my longest run will be around 40 feet. I still haven't decided whether to keep all the electronics in the office and run the wire thru the attic into the living room for the TV & Speakers. The problem with that, of course, is no line of site with the DVD, etc. for the remote. On the other hand, it makes for a much cleaner living room. If I do put the electronics in the LR, then I'll need wire that wouldn't stand out. And yes, Clay, any advice would be appreciated. I haven't done this before. THANKS!

adam

7. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I agree with Clay.

You'll need to get some OFC rated wire to prevent oxidation. Straightwire makes some nice stuff that is relatively inexpensive. I forget the exact model name, but there are various ones in the $2-$4/foot range.

www.straightwire.com

8. Clay

Clay Forum Resident

Hi Adam,

I am not sure how much you want to spend. The 14/2 I suggest is around 50 cents a foot +/-. I attached a pic for you.
    The Tributaries wires are E171202 14awg cl3 75c Tributaries High Flex Speaker wire 14/2 Made in the USA. It does not say OFC on it, yet I am sure it is. It is the stuff used in $200k custom installations.

Installation out of sight is very good for the marriage.
    My VCR came with a little infrared unit that will send a signal to the cable box. I am sure you could rig up a remote sensor that would "relay" the remote from the Living room to the DVD, Receiver etc.

For the installation, get more wire than you need.
    guidelines, 8' for the wall, 5' minimum for run from wall. Straight line of sight in the attic +15% or so.
    Process:
    Drill the hole in the ceiling plate bigger than you need. It make it easier and if you want to run another wire later you don't have to drill another hole. Say 2x needed size. Check the wall for studs with a Zircon stud finder and then measure so you drill in the attic between studs. Use a reference like a wall or or vent or? so you know where you are drilling in the attic.
    For wires coming out at the bottom of the wall.
    Drill a hole in the wall about 1" big at the regulation height for the wall plates (so you can add a wall plate and it looks "right" Like a phone small hole in center plate).
    Get a 10" chain and tape the wire to it with duct tape.
    The kind of chain with all the little balls on it - like the chain on inexpensive keychains or on ceiling fans and lights.
    drop the chain down the hole in the ceiling. Have a friend insert a magnet into the 1" hole in the wall and find the chain with it. pull the chain though the 1" hole in the wall and then feed the wire down the wall as the buddy pull on the chain until the wire comes out. better to have too much than too short.
    Put on a wall plate and professional job.
    I just wired the whole house for Direct TV and ran all new RG6 and also added the rear speakers in the family room. My wife was right last year when she said the wires running all over the ceiling across the top of pictures etc :) did not look right. Now nice and clean no wires.
    The magnet on a stick from kragens is handy to retrieve the chain in the wall.
    Possibly more info than you need yet possibly someone else will try it with these tips. It is very rewarding. If you have trouble finding the wire, let me know. We ship almost daily for ebay and I can walk to the high end stereo shop that sells the wire and is owned by my High School buddy.

Attached Files:

9. hot_wax_man

hot_wax_man New Member

It does depend on how serious you are about the sound.

Monster Cable Powerline is good for all of your runs. But , What is more important than the Gauge of the wire is how many strands it has. I say a minimum of 65 strands.
    If the run is over 50 feet a min of 14 gauge; over a 100 then 12 gauge. In general larger is always better on any length. More than 65 strands is always better since the highs travel on the skin of the wire and more wires means more skin.

Bass likes to travel on the solid core of the wire. that is why Litz wire construction is good. this is employed on many of the Monster designs as well as a host of other High quality competitors.

for permanent install I prefer to use a jacketed wire. that is your two conductors individually insulated inside of a neoprene jacket. This helps preserve the wire from oxidation as well as being rodent and insect resistant.

10. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

One "strand" for each side here.

Regards,
    Geoff

11. Adam

This is great stuff! I'll let you know about the wire, Clay. THANKS.

Adam

12. Clay

Clay Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.