Cheap Trick reissues september 2017 ???

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RnRmf, Jun 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RnRmf

RnRmf Senior Member Thread Starter

HMV Japan has the Cheap Trick back catalog listed as being released on September 7, 2017 but by the number of bonus tracks on each, these would be different from what has been released in the past, if I'm not mistaken.

They are being released on Sony's Blu Spec 2 disc format.
    Perhaps they've been remastered, again.

I thought it curious that there haven't been true hi res releases on HdTracks for most of the early releases.
    I'm not sure why the early albums were released as 44.1/24. It seems odd if they were remastered at that sample/bit rate. Maybe these will be the cd versions of new hi res transfers?

Does anyone have any information on these upcoming releases?

Here's a screen shot of some of the listings:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  2. On a somewhat related note, the debut and All Shook Up are just dying for the 5.1 treatment.

PS... that's a lot of bonus tracks! Could be interesting.

3. RnRmf

RnRmf Senior Member Thread Starter

I found some new info on CDJapan.
    They are new DSD Remasters. The source of the remasters isn't specified, at this point.

"Cardboard sleeve reissue release from Cheap Trick features the high-fidelity Blu-spec CD2 format and 2017 DSD remastering. The mini LP faithfully replicates its US first pressing LP design. Includes an obi, replicating the one included with its Japan first pressing LP. Comes with new liner notes and bonus track(s). This series features the following titles: "Cheap Trick," "In Color," "Heaven Tonight," "At Budokan," "Dream Police," "All Shook Up," "One On One," "Next Position Please," "Standing On The Edge," "The Doctor," "Cheap Trick," and "Busted."

"Cheap Trick, paper sleeve collection to commemorate the 40th anniversary of debut! -paper jacket specification by the latest DSD mastering (2017)-Exterior bag is faithfully reprinted us first edition LP edition-Japan Edition reprint-New liner-new bonus track recordings"

Clanceman, Tuco, xj32 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Purplerocks

Purplerocks Forum Resident

Good news; obviously keeping fingers crossed for good mastering

RnRmf and xj32 like this.
  5. xj32

xj32 Forum Resident

watching this thread with eager anticipation

6. readr

readr Forum Resident

I suspect they tag on the tracks from the archives collections to beef up the bonus sections, along with the other existing bonus tracks from the reissues. It would be sweet if we actually got real unreleased stuff......though, highly unlikely.

7. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

The chances are slim to none that the new bonus tracks are anything other than the tracks from the recent odds and sods compilations and the previous bonus tracks.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

Not again!! I've bought these albums 3 times already not including vinyl and had the entire round of Japanese mini-lps they released previously....

Currently I own the Complete Epic Collection boxset which is great.

9. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

I'm really curious what the One on One bonus tracks will include.

10. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

Got the email from cdjapan today and pre-ordered the 1st 3. I really hope they're great!

11. readr

readr Forum Resident

Let's try to guess the 8:
    Born To Raise Hell
    I'm A Man
    Ohm Sweet Ohm
    All I Really Want To Do
    If You Want My Love (demo)
    Don't Make Our Love A Crime (demo)
    Saturday At Midnight (Super New Dance Mix)
    If You Want My Love (extended version)

12. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

They should throw "Speing Break" on there too.

13. readr

readr Forum Resident

Spring Break and it's b-side Get Ready were recorded around the same time as Dancing The Night Away, all produced by Ian Taylor, the later included on Next Position Please, probably belong together, IMO. I was thinking more about Reach Out and I Must Be Dreaming.....where's their home? Probably All Shook Up bonus tracks. I did a deluxe version of Found All The Parts, which looked like this (which is something I can't believe CT hasn't done for this EP):
    Found All The Parts (album)
    Day Tripper
    Such A Good Girl
    Take Me I'm Yours
    Oh, Boy
    Loser
    I Need Love
    Ain't Got You
    I Was A Fool
    You Talk Too Much
    Fan Club
    Bonus Tracks:
    Can't Hold On (live)
    Day Tripper (extended version)

Hard Panner and ampmods like this.
  14. bataclan2002

bataclan2002 All You Need Is Now.

I had always heard CT recorded an album that was rejected by Epic before they did One on One. Those tracks would be great bonuses!
    Anyone know anything about that unreleased album?

15. TheLoveDrags

TheLoveDrags Senior Member

Not an actual album, just a album's worth of demos...
    It's hard to find a concrete list of songs because every source I can find lists different songs but the def. did
    Day Tripper - because the one they recorded live had too many problems
    Loser
    Such A Good Girl
    Take Me I'm Yours
    Oh, Boy
    I Need Love

from Wikipedia:
    • "I Need Love" (Available on the Sex, America, Cheap Trick box set)
    • "Loser" (Available on the Legacy Rock Experience sampler) now on "The Epic Archive, Vol. 2 (1980-1983)
    • "Oh Boy (w/Vocals)" (Available on the Oh Boy (Demo)/If You Want My Love (Demo) promotional single) now on "The Epic Archive, Vol. 2 (1980-1983)
    • "Fan Club" (Available on a "Trickfest (I)" prize cassette)
    • "Ain't Got You" (Available on the "Trickfest (I)" prize cassette)
    • "You Talk Too Much" (Available on the "Trickfest (I)" prize cassette, later re-recorded for the album Next Position Please)
    • "I Was a Fool" (Unreleased)

01-05-80 - Publishing Demos [from the book "Reputation Is a Fragile Thing"]

Such A Good Girl - "Found All The Parts"
    Take Me I'm Yours - "Found All The Parts"
    Loser
    Ain't Got You
    You Talk Too Much
    Lovin' Money
    I Was A Fool
    Oh Boy
    I Need Love - "Sex, America, Cheap Trick"
    Day Tripper
    Fan Club

bataclan2002 likes this.
  16. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I wish they'd reissue CHEAP TRICK (the 1997 album). I don't have it.

art and jon9091 like this.
  17. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

Nope, that track, and it's B-side "Get Ready", along with "Up The Creek" would more rightly go on an extended version of Next Position Please, as they were recorded after it, but during the same year, 1983.

18. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

Pretty easy to find a used copy of that, and cheap, isn't it?

That said, I'd like an extended version of it just for the wealth of material the band demoed at the time, but didnt release. Early versions of tracks which would later show up on albums like The Latest ("Every Day You Make Me Crazy"), Bang, Zoom Crazy...Hello ("Heart On The Line") and their new album, We're All Alright ("Radio Lover"). Plus, they could officially add the Steve Albini single tracks "Baby Talk"/"Brontosaurus", which were only included as an added CD single on limited pressings of the album.

Clanceman, npgchris and rstamberg like this.
  19. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

Yes! A Vinyl release would be awesome. We got "Woke up With a Monster" this year, but I wish it was the 1997 Self Titled.

As for all these Bonus tracks, I really hope they're not just a rehash of The recent epic archives/ Sex, america... stuff. But for later albums, there's tracks that I still want.

Also, please give us the Steve Albini "In Color"!

melstapler, rstamberg and RnRmf like this.
  20. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

Yeah I guess that could work. For me that song came out way before the album Next Position Please and was released (by nearly 6 months) and it wasn't from the album... so to me it could go on either album as a bonus track.

21. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

I should also add that "Roll Me" off of Bang, Zoom, Crazy...Hello and "Brand New Name On An Old Tattoo" also came from the CT '97 sessions. I'd forgotten about them until revisiting that material again last night. That's two songs from the most recent albums that date back 20 years. Can't blame them for not wanting to waste decent material, though.

22. van1

van1 Forum Resident

The listings for the extra tracks are on the cheap trick message board.

Not sure if all 3 'epic archive' releases will make it to cd (so far only vol1) but there aren't many things on the 2017 reissues which aren't on the complete box set or epic archives

NEW BLU-SPEC CD Japanese Remasters Coming in September

carrick doone, Tuco and Christopher B like this.
  23. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

Thanks, Looks like nothing new and most likely nothing new (or old?) exists. That's a big bummer. I hope they soon release some old filmed footage.

24. readr

readr Forum Resident

Off by one....they put DMOLAC (demo) on the Next Position Please bonus section, and doubled down on the silly Saturday remixes. I said they were just going to spread out the archives releases amongst the Epic albums as bonus tracks.....there are a few gems not included on the Archives volumes here, like In This Country.

25. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

Why isn't Lap of Luxury being included in this reissue campaign?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.