Cheapest 7.1 HDMI receiver with preamp outs

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Peacekeepr73, Dec 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peacekeepr73

Peacekeepr73 Digitally Remastered Member Thread Starter

I'm trying to upgrade the surround sound portion of my system which is built around a Technics Dolby Digital and DTS processor, Sanyo rear channel amp and a Sansui G-7700 Stereo for the front channels. I would like to take advantage of the DTS-HD, Dolby TrueHD, and 5.1 LPCM Audio on my Bluray and Wii U but my processor predates all of this. So I would like to replace the processor and Sanyo with a modern receiver which will decode and power my rear speakers but be able to output via analog the front channel information to my Sansui. So I would like to know the cheapest receiver available new or used to look for.

2. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

In general, and without researching it, I'd say look at Onkyo AVRs for the most features for the fewest bucks.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  3. CarterB

CarterB Well-Known Member

Marantz has slim line 7.1 receivers that have 2.1 preouts (NR1604) that should fit your needs. Their previous model might as well (NR1603). Accessories4less is an authorized refurb reseller and you should get a nice discount.

c-eling likes this.
  4. Peacekeepr73

Peacekeepr73 Digitally Remastered Member Thread Starter

I'm thinking something at or below 250$

5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I bought an Onkyo TX-NR616 receiver for a smaller room, which has eight HDMI inputs and 115-watts-per channel (as a 7.2-channel receiver), which was a mere $319 on Amazon -- a huge bargain. I think it was originally a dog when released at twice that price a year ago, and they had tons of defects and design flaws. Later fixes solved the problems, but they had to slash prices to get sales going. The first unit I had was almost D.O.A. -- no audio out during HDMI -- but the second one was fine.

6. CarterB

CarterB Well-Known Member

7. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

I was in your dilemma a few years ago searching for an affordable with pre-outs, (I had a channel poop out on me) Cheapest at the time was the Onkyo 709 which I still use, didn't Harmon have one with pre-outs?, I do like that Marantz listed above

8. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

I'm thinking you need to re-think that figure.

Or try to find a 7- or 8-year old model and take a chance with old HDMI performance.

9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The problem with old receivers is that they simply don't have enough HDMI inputs. Nowadays, for a modern home theater system, you need at least 3 or 4 HDMI inputs if not 5 or 6. A lot of older receivers from that era maybe had 2 at best, along with a whole lot of analogue connectors.

10. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

My 20+ year old Pioneer Elite VSX 21 can't even spell HDMI.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  11. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

The bigger problem is that HDMI receivers from 7+ years ago may not play nice with modern HDMI cable boxes, etc.

12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Eh, they usually work. I've seen 1.0 inputs flake-out on TV sets, particularly with audio: video passes, audio doesn't. HDMI is very fragile, and my theory is a lot of it is the HDCP copy-protection.

13. StimpyWan

StimpyWan Forum Resident

14. DTS-MA 7.1

DTS-MA 7.1 Forum Resident

I have had good luck with Pioneer, i have two receiver's that are 3-6 years old, the hdmi in's and out's on the new entry level units will work well,

i'd check new egg, buy .com or ebay to see to get last years model's to get the most bang for your buck. check the specs on the pioneer web page. ( like your avatar Grunkle stan)

15. Trapper J

Trapper J Senior Member

I just picked up one of the Sony STR's.. the DH740

It doesn't have Phono, but for the money you're saving, pick up a cheap pre-amp (ART PRE DJ II $50 or so.)

I'm really happy with the receiver. It doesn't have phono, but it's 7.1 and 4k ready (when you upgrade, or are inevitably forced to upgrade to 4k)

I'm not sure where my $275 Sony falls short against the bigger names/models being suggested, but I'm happy with it.

Just my 2 cents.

16. Trapper J

Trapper J Senior Member

HDMI cables suck, imo, almost all of my electronics HDMI ports never feel like a good solid connection, wiggly and loose.. I love HDMI, but they need to tighten that **** up!

17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yeah, I'll never dispute that. The HDMI connectors are indeed very fragile. A few companies have come out with screw connectors, but until the hardware manufacturers make screw-connection jacks, it's kind of futile.

Trapper J likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.