Check out the new Artisan Fidelity Garrard 301 Statement

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Brian Gupton, Jan 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian Gupton

Brian Gupton Forum Resident Thread Starter

Pic is just one I pulled off the web. My iPhone is my only camera and I'm not sure I could pull off a great pic like that with it. :)

2. Brian Gupton

I don't have a mono switch like that, so I can't really say.

3. Brian Gupton

Great question. It was at first and was made even more awkward by the fact that this Schroeder CB-1 arm doesn't have a tonearm lift. But now I just stand on the side of the table and move the arm in place via the tonearm itself. It's actually a lot less awkward and getting less awkward every day.

Pinknik likes this.
  4. Brian Gupton

I bought a jazz collection with about 1,400 records, mostly really old stuff, so I have plenty of original mono pressings. I just haven't gotten around to cleaning & playing them yet, but will very soon (probably today).

Mad shadows and sberger like this.
  5. dmckean

dmckean Forum Resident

Have you thought about trying out a Shilabe, Madake or a Kansui since you like the Zero so much?

6. Brian Gupton

Not really. I already have two pretty amazing stereo carts. If anything, I may add a 1.0 mil mono cart down the road for playing older mono recordings.

I actually have a new Slagle Silver SUT arriving later this week to try out which is a better match for my Zero and Koetsu. I'm thinking it will make a substantial difference since my T2 Homage is optimized for the EMT which is a medium output cart.

When I play the Zero or Koetsu through the T2 withthe same settings I use for the EMT, I pretty much have to max the volume knob out to get it to my normal listening level. If I turn that gain up on the amps so that I'm not maxxing out the volume knob, the sound comes alive.

I'm thinking a better matched SUT will allow me to keep the gain tuned down to the same levels as the EMT and still get the music to come alive. We shall see.

7. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Crank the Beatles Mono Box, the way mono reissue vinyl should be done! I just have a mono setting on my amp and really enjoy those lps. I'm sure it might be better with a dedicated cart but that's not really a pursuit of mine at the moment. Enjoy!

Tullman likes this.
  8. Brian Gupton

I have and love it. Again, never played with a mono setting, but if you already like that I think you should try to acquire a mono cart thru hook or crook. You might be blown away by the difference.

I must say I was surprised. I'm already planning to add a lot of mono rock records. The sonic experience is very different and really engaging. Just sounds more live.

9. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I bet! My mono catalog is likely just 5% or less of my collection, so the investment wouldn't make sense for me. The one's that I do have, I really enjoy the sound. There are a few where I wasn't so pleased or thought what's the big deal but overall the mono masterings have been really enjoyable. The recent Kinks reissues sound good even though they are bare bones rock n roll.

10. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I should send you this to play on it: [​IMG]

11. Brian Gupton

I bet it's a good one!

12. rbp

rbp Forum Resident

This Was is a wonderful debut album from Tull with the great Mick Abrahams. In fact the first 3 albums are my favourites - before they went progy.

bhazen and Brian Gupton like this.
  13. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Some day I'd like to have a mono cartridge for my TT. For me I'll need a second arm as well but with the VPI I can swap arms out very easily. The only down side is the cost of another tonearm on top of the cartridge.

Brian Gupton likes this.
  14. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Yeah, I thought of this with my VPI but I just can't justify the cost considering how few mono records I have. I'd rather use the money to upgrade my cart.

mikemoon likes this.
  15. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Yep, I have plenty of old mono lps but a new arm would be a new cartridge + change left over so it will most likely not happen but I can dream!

16. Brian Gupton

See... the thing about records is that you're always gonna be getting more of 'em. If you get a mono cart (I'd even take a chance on a used one or a less costly model that is a match for your arm and phono stage/SUT), then you have a good reason to seek on more mono recordings.

Seriously, I always thought of mono as antiquated and never really "got" it until now. It's a very different listening experience. I don't wanna say better, but (in my setup at least) it sounds more "real", like I'm in the room.

It's been an interesting and kinda unexpected discovery.

17. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Brian, it's not just the mono cart, it's the new tone arm, as well.$$$ I get by ok with the double Y connection.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  18. Brian Gupton

This is why arms with removable headshell's are such a godsend. :)

But, yeah, I hear you. I was worried that having a second dedicated arm for mono was a waste of money. I'm pleasantly surprised how much I actually like the sound of mono and think it was totally worth it.

But I get that it's a nice to have. And if I had to choose between a nicer arm or cart for my stereo, it would be a tough choice, especially given the mono workarounds that others are using satisfactorily.

Mad shadows likes this.
  19. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Not to mention, there are not a whole lot of mono titles around to buy. I like some of the old Jazz but not enough to pay $$$ to play. I can't even get all of the stereo titles I want.

20. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Agreed. I bought "This Was" when it came out - but it wasn't the mono. ;)

rbp likes this.
  21. Brian Gupton

I don't know, man. I feel like there's tons of mono titles out there for less $$$ than many stereo versions, but it probably does depend on your taste in music.

22. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

There was a point when, perhaps with the exception of some collectible jazz records, most dealers couldn't give mono records away. I used to buy mono RCA shaded dogs and Mercury Living Presence records for almost nothing when the stereo counterparts were 3 figures- in the late'80s. For rock/pop/folk, i have far fewer but I still think there are bargains to be found among older pressings. I'm not really properly set up for mono but I still enjoy playing them, and someday, may go the distance with separate arm and cartridge. I'm glad you did this Brian because it adds a whole other dimension to collecting and listening. You should probably post some of your finds in the music section as you listen to various releases in mono- granted you have different cartridges and arms for the mono v stereo comparison, but it would still be interesting to read.

Brian Gupton likes this.
  23. MikeK

MikeK Forum Resident

I am so glad this thread is back. I've thoroughly enjoyed reading Brian's updates and experiences with all his new gear!

FashionBoy, IanL and Brian Gupton like this.
  24. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I'm kind of in the same mindset. I'm actually thinking of making a huge speaker upgrade. I've been debating this for nearly a year with more research the last few months. I take things very slowly with all high end purchases and upgrades. It can be a wormhole of diminishing returns and frustration if one is not careful and synergy is the most important aspect. So much about hardware is a worry for me and keeps me cautious.

I have to take a step back sometimes and think, how much this purchase really achieves for my return. I think the 5% of mono recordings I enjoy (Hendrix - Axix, Beatles - Box, etc.) already achieve a lot just by playing them in my current setup. Yes, a dedicated cart/arm will bring me closer (how much?) but it is also another hassle, worry and expense.

The more I'm into this thing, the less rationale it all becomes. I enjoy listening vinyl a little too much but in all honestly, I only 10 hours a week where I can even listen. I guess everyone has a different situation, so if someone is dedicating a substantial amount of time, the investment may be worthy from their perspective. With mono carts, I will have to pass for the time being but it's still interesting to read others insight. It's all about learning.

Voodoo Child and Brian Gupton like this.
  25. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Mono records sound awesome on a good tube system, even with a stereo cart. It comes down to synergy, good components, speaker placement and room treatments, etc.

I'd love to have a mono cart, but I can only listen to so many mono LPs in a row before I have to play a stereo LP, to change the listening/processing.

I can't afford a separate arm/mono cart, so I get by with a stereo cart. Yet, overall, I prefer mono over stereo. More magic, layers and insanely stunning sound staging. Blue Train (MM) and Pet Sounds (AP) are two examples of stunning mono. And the Beatles' mono box sounds amazing. Layers, layers, layers...

rob303, Tommyboy and mikemoon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.