Chicago Into The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame: What Happens Next?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tonyc, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

this isn't being recorded.....is it?

krock2009 and Nostaljack like this.
  2. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

I'm not sure who I liked least in the 90's line up, Champlin or Dawayne Bailey.

Autotune Sucks likes this.
  3. Matt A

Matt A Forum Resident

Even in an industry rife with annoying egos, almost every inducted band has done their best to make the HOF ceremonies work.

Peter Cetera is delusional and clueless. If you can't get some perspective on life by age 70, you are one sorry m_____ f____.

4. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident Thread Starter

Your assessment of Champlin is spot on. I actually remember seeing a show sometime towards the end of his time with the band when Lamm introduced him as not wanting to be here or something to that affect.

krock2009 and Nostaljack like this.
  5. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident Thread Starter

My take on the Cetera issue is that there is still two months for something to be worked out so I would not be surprised if this is not the last of it.

6. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

Glad you know him so well based on so little.

Ed

Comet01 likes this.
  7. Tom Perry

Tom Perry Senior Member

Chicago Release Official Statement on Peter Cetera
    February 9, 2016 5:20 PM
    By Radio.com Staff

The rock group, Chicago, is honored to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on April 8 in New York and are looking forward to performing at the event.

The four original band members, Robert Lamm, Lee Loughnane, Jimmy Pankow and Walt Parazaider, will be there as well as former original band member Danny Seraphine.

Peter Cetera, despite the best efforts of the Rock Hall and the band to reach a happy middle ground, made his decision not to participate. He has made it clear twice now that he will not attend or perform. Cetera, who was an original band member, has been gone for over 30 years.

Chicago have performed consistently every year heading into their 50th anniversary without ever missing a year.

Says manager Peter Schivarelli, “The band has looked forward to this day since they got word of their induction. They’ve waited a long time and are excited to perform for their fans and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame crowd.”

http://radio.com/2016/02/09/chicago-release-official-statement-on-peter-cetera/

8. Matt A

Matt A Forum Resident

This entire incident makes him look like the world's biggest prima donna. Stop apologizing for him.

utopiarun and AudiophilePhil like this.
  9. Nostaljack

You've decided it does. You don't know. We have a PR letter and two emails from him. There's no way that tells anywhere near the whole story.

Ed

Comet01 likes this.
  10. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Senior Member

To me (based on Lamm's remarks, as well as Cetera's), it sounds more like the band refused to accommodate Cetera's reasonable request to perform the song(s) in a key that he can handle. That makes them look like the prima donnas. I'm not sure why anyone would be faulting Cetera in such a situation.

AudiophilePhil and Comet01 like this.
  11. Nostaljack

It's really hard to know. Likely, everyone played their part in this kerfuffle. Impossible to tell from any of this how much fault any party actually carries.

Ed

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  12. David R. Modny

David R. Modny Гордий українець-американець

While we may not know all the exact details as to what the points of contention were yet, it's my own feeling that Cetera hasn't done himself any favors in terms of how he's simply handled this whole thing.

From the initial pimping of the "tune in for the big announcement," to the overall excitement and attention generated by his acceptance to perform [with him also acknowledging that the solidarity would indeed be a "great Rock Hall moment"], and then, a complete 180 with the whole "I don't want to play with those guys/ex-wife" stuff and the inane "50%...25% " blog updates, he really turned the whole thing into a sad, overblown PR stunt. It probably would've been better if he just remained silent until after any details were worked out.

Beyond that, the whole publicly-exposed "I'm not coming, just send my award to so-and-so/I have to get back to my life and career" attitude smacks of the maturity and self-awareness of a toad (IMHO). I don't know...maybe it's just pride and anger talking? We've certainly all said stupid stuff "in the moment." It's just a shame that no one seems to be able to get through to him on how much this would mean, no matter who's at "fault" in the demands here. What could have been a great coda to the band's musical legacy and, more importantly, a great moment of closure to the fans now looks like a bad reality show. He holds the bulk of the cards for a potentially cool and historic reunion. Would it really be that bad/painful to concede any of those demands, within reason, and bury the hatchet for just one night?

Oh well...congrats to the band as a whole for finally getting in. They deserved it. I'm truly looking forward to seeing Danny up there with Chicago once again, if only for that noted one night. If anything, his eloquently released statement shows that he gets it.

PS - Call me an eternal optimist, but I'm still holding out a shred of hope that folks on all sides can smack their own heads and come to their senses in the next two months. If not........I'll live. It's just music. :)

13. Matt A

Matt A Forum Resident

Say what? Why in the world would they refuse to change keys? Good grief. That makes zero sense. Zero. What are these quotes you're referring to?

14. David R. Modny

"He decided he wanted to play [the song] in a different key if he was going to play with us, which is definitely not going to happen...."

http://www.billboard.com/articles/c...-cetera-chicago-rock-roll-hall-fame-induction

(This was most likely in reference to PC originally stating in his "acceptance announcement" that he would strap on his bass and "play 25 or 6 to 4 in the key of E.")

*And this is one area where Chicago really does need to bend a little. If he can't sing it in the key of A anymore......he can't. End of story.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  15. EdgardV

EdgardV ®

"He decided he wanted to play [the song] in a different key if he was going to play with us, which is definitely not going to happen...."

IMHO, Lamm's vague comment could be interpreted in at least two ways — but most likely with the bolded sections above, going together. Meaning that Peter would definitely not be playing with them; not that they would definitely not be playing the song in his key.

painted8 likes this.
  16. Matt A

Matt A Forum Resident

Ok, dropping the key from A to E is a pretty significant change, especially when you're dealing with horn players. Lamm also mentioned Cetera wanting to use his own band, which is ridiculous.

17. David R. Modny

Split the difference....and make it F#? Good horn key! ;) :laugh:

18. Nostaljack

Not particularly. Just alter the voicings the horns are playing and it's not a big deal at all. It's done all the time. There's always a way. Heck, Peter himself likely has access to charts that'd help them get it done.

As for the rhythm players, that change isn't a big deal. No tri-tones involved.

Ed

19. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

It really doesn't make sense to take it that way because the first part refers to Peter's requirement in order for him to play. Unless Lamm and the band are outright refusing to play with Peter regardless, It wouldn't make sense for the second part to be unrelated to the first part and simply mean he won't be playing with them. Peter has said he would play under certain conditions, I think it clearly means the band is refusing to change keys. It's the only thing that makes sense in context.

20. David R. Modny

FYI, here's the actual full quote:

Should we call this "Keygate?" :laugh:

"Lamm was communicating with Cetera by email and said "there was always a desire and assumption on my part" that Cetera would be there and perform during the ceremony. But Cetera apparently had other ideas. "He decided he wanted to play [the song] in a different key if he was going to play with us, which is definitely not going to happen, and then he wanted to play with his band but not with us and sing his songs or sing whatever songs the Hall wants him to sing," Lamm said. "It's all very strange."

21. Nostaljack

Did he bring up the idea of playing with his band because Chicago wouldn't change keys? I see how this can read two different ways.

Ed

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  22. Jack o' the Shadows

Jack o' the Shadows Live and Dubious

4. We get the Creedence Clearwater Revival treatment.

23. David R. Modny

I'm waiting for the cardboard cutout to show up......

krock2009 likes this.
  24. EdgardV

EdgardV ®

I see your point but I'd suggest that you may be holding live speech of an oral, improvised discussion/interview to a higher standard of written pros as in a letter or email, carefully thought out and edited.

As many of us have, I've read and listened to many if not most of Robert's interviews over the last 50 years, and he often speaks like this (as many people do) where he ties different thoughts together in an imperfect manner.

Just my opinion, but I think that makes more sense than not being willing to change the key. I'd guess that Peter wanted to perform his songs with his own band from his solo career, to demonstrate the separation from Chicago and highlight his personal success. But the RRHOF probably said, "no, this induction is about the original band Chicago, which you were a part of, and the performance will only be by the band Chicago and the other founding members, and only Chicago's original songs."

AudiophilePhil likes this.
  25. David R. Modny

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.