Chicago Into The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame: What Happens Next?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tonyc, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. videoman

videoman Senior Member

Yeah....never felt the love for "X" sorry. Don't know if it's "underrated" though. It was one of their best sellers ever ---due largely to "If You Leave Me Now---was one of the only ones chosen to be remixed to 5.1--etc. If anything, I think it's OVER rated.

Side One:
    "Once Or Twice" --- I like, but kind of a just going-through-the-motions rocker from Kath. Sounds more throwaway than album-opener to me.
    "You Are On My Mind" --- My favorite track on the record. One of the last great Pankow compositions. Held back a bit by his vocal, but still love it.
    "Skin Tight" --- S'all right. Don't hate it don't love it. But they are trying TOO hard to be funky. You guys aren't the Ohio Players, sorry.
    "If You Leave Me Now" --- classic track, but some love it or hate it. I love it.
    "Together Again" --- filler made worse by Loughnane singing it.
    "Another Rainy Day In New York City" --- Lamm's last good composition for the band. Good solid track. One of my favorites on the album, but doesn't take much to make that cut. Peaked at #32 on the singles chart. About right.

Side Two:
    "Mama Mama" --- Yuck.
    "Scrapbook" --- Someone here said they love it for a great guitar solo? I don't remember that. I'll check it out again, but I just remember it as typical Lamm filler.
    "Gently I'll Wake You" --- More Lamm filler.
    "You Get It Up" --- Silly jam/filler track supposedly made better by everyone in the group singing? Didn't save it. Probably made it worse, in fact.
    "Hope For Love" --- Of all the soft Kath ballads on various albums, this is my least favorite. Give me "Till We Meet Again" or "Alma Mater" over this all day long.

No offense to anyone with different opinions, but these are mine. Others are just as valid, of course.

2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

3. EdgardV

EdgardV ®

Great question Myke. I'd just love to get ANY version of it. Vinyl, CD, mp3...

Myke likes this.
  4. EdgardV

EdgardV ®

Hep Alien, AudiophilePhil and Comet01 like this.
  5. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

I saw them play this live on the X tour. IIRC Terry played bass and Pete played 12-string.

AudiophilePhil and Comet01 like this.
  6. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

I think "This Time" is pretty great, even with the misguided choice of Loughnane on lead vocals. Kath's extended solo is outstanding and Cetera's vocals on the chorus mitigate the Loughnane mistake to some degree.

And while I'm at it, might as well give some praise to "Baby, What a Big Surprise." It's easy to roll your eyes and say "oh, just another Cetera ballad", but it's a well-constructed tune with a lot of interesting little bits.

7. David R. Modny

David R. Modny Гордий українець-американець

One of my favorites. Love the bridge. And Carl Wilson is a nice bonus for me.

Personally speaking, the whole "70s Cetera-sung ballads = evil" during the Kath era is a nonstarter for me. Most of them were impeccably produced earworms, IMHO. Great orchestral arrangements by Jimmie Haskell, great vocals, the usual Guercio flourishes, etc.

That, and they were just complimentary to plenty of bluesy, rocking and/or upbeat tracks that the album's still had sitting side-by-side with them. Their legacy is that they just happened to be the (very successful) singles in an era that was rapidly changing. If it typecast the band during that time, so be it for me. It doesn't diminish my overall appreciation of the albums one iota.

8. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

There are other remarkableTerry Kath guitar solos from Chicago X - "Skintight" and "You Get It Up".

EdgardV likes this.
  9. videoman

videoman Senior Member

I don't have any problem with the Cetera ballads of this era. They are some of Chicagos best songs and were all huge hits for a reason

Hep Alien likes this.
  10. zen

zen Senior Member

Back to the thread topic...
    What is next?

11. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I think I agree, for the most part. X is just a very weak album, overall. Hope For Love is a favorite of mine, when it comes to Terry Kath lead vocals.

EdgardV likes this.
  12. videoman

videoman Senior Member

There are some good solos on the album. That's true. Unfortunately I just find the songwriting to be weak overall.

"X" is also the most thoroughly pop of the Kath era albums. No extended suites, no extended solos or jams, no multi-part songs, no serious political/social lyrics. Which wouldn't be bad, necessarily, if the pop songwriting was stronger throughout.

But I'm glad some people love it.

13. videoman

videoman Senior Member

For Chicago? Or for the HOF?

For Chicago? Probably another Christmas album, a few more compilations and another live record or two so they can get to "Chicago 50" before they all croak.

for the RRHOF? Yes and The Cars get in next year. And some rap act just to piss everyone off.

14. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

One of the things I really like about it is the various Beatles tributes it features throughout the song

Hep Alien and AudiophilePhil like this.
  15. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident Thread Starter

Nothing changes. Chicago continues with EWF and then endless touring by themselves with little or no new recordings. Cetera continues his very occasional touring. Seraphine does his thing with Champlin. Hopes dashed for this thread starter that the RRHOF event would lead to something more.

Hep Alien and zen like this.
  16. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Which, besides the "Penny Lane" trumpet?

17. AudiophilePhil

An obvious Beatles influence is the short but melodic guitar solo by Terry Kath. He was such a gifted and versatile guitarist. He can play a rough guitar solo on "Takin' It On Uptown" and a more subdued but beautiful melodic Beatlesque solo on "Baby, What a Big Surprise".

Hep Alien and Hall Cat like this.
  18. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Now that you mention it, the short lead guitar part on "Baby..." (not really a solo, but the bit going into the bridge) is really "Carry That Weight" sounding.

19. EdgardV

EdgardV ®

Have never seen this before. Anyone else?

Meanwhile Back At The Ranch. 1974

Hep Alien and AudiophilePhil like this.
  20. AudiophilePhil

I've seen that long time ago in the 70s. It's nice to watch it again. The highlights are the studio scene showing the band rehearsing "25 or 6 to 4" with Phil Ramone and the outdoor concert just outside Guercio's Caribou Ranch Studio.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
    EdgardV likes this.
  21. AudiophilePhil

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  22. Myke

23. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

http://pinterest.com/pin/214695107209422038/

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  24. Myke

I'm assuming it was a pic of Garfield ?

25. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

Tried to, having some issues with images on here. Well anyway, I know who you mean!

Myke likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.