Chicago "v" Dvd-a

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris C, Aug 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last! Thread Starter

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

A huge "CHRIS C" thumbs up to the folks at Rhino/Warner for the just released DVD-A of Chicago "V"!

While I've never been a huge fan of this particular Chicago album, I can only say that it's certainly NEVER sounded so good as it does here! NOTE: I'm referring only to the 5.1 surround. I rarely ever dig into the Stereo or Mono tracks when buying DVD-A. I buy DVD-A purely for the surround mix and this is a near-perfect example of how ALL companies should presernt music in 5.1! Very low bass, clean highs, hiss to a minimum and a great soundfield. If you enjoy Chicago at all...get this!

A+ to Rhino/Warners and here's to releasing Chicago VII, IX, X and XI in this format too!

Chris C.

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Great!

How about getting the multi of Chicago Transit Authority too? Heck, don't forget that album. That one's a biggie in my book.

I ordered V last week....

3. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Got my V the other day with "Pet Sounds" from CC. Haven't had a chance to throw it on (still trying to figure out whats up with Pet Sounds).

Good to hear someone likes V in Surround!

4. mdp7751

mdp7751 New Member

I'm very anxious to hear the DVD-A version of "Dialogue--Parts I & II". Any reviews?

5. YaQuin

YaQuin Formerly Blue Moon

I picked up the DVD-A early last week mainly for the Dialogue songs. Well I think the sound is quite a bit more detailed and relaxed compared to CD. What I mean is that the vocalist sound as if they are singing "with" the music and not "over" the music.

If you listen to the CD version of Dialogue for comparison you will notice much more compression, and the dialogue sounds more like an argument...you'll hear what I mean. Trust me, the DVD-A version is quite nice.

6. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

Where are you guys finding these Chicago DVD-A's. I'm not having any luck in my search.

7. Dean De Furia

Dean De Furia Senior Member

Yeah, I love this too. Always one of my Fav Chicago LP's the 5.1 mix is just excellent. I hope the rest (up to 10) is released in 5.1.

8. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I've found mine at circuitcity.com. $13.99 with free shipping if you order two titles.

9. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

I just got a copy on your reviews. I only have a stereo set-up but the sound and mix sound splendid. Much better than the cd. Got mone at Best Buy fro $12.99 ($2 discount).

Joe Lee

10. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Gardo, I haven't been to a Circuit City store in awhile, but Best Buy has been very slow to get in new DVD-Audio discs. The Best Buy stores I've been to still haven't gotten in Pet Sounds or either Chicago disc. Just yesterday, one of the Best Buy stores in my area had all the DVD-Audio discs pulled off the shelves! An employee there told me that they had taken them to the back to sort through them and then send "extra" discs to other stores. Extra discs? They have a paltry selection to begin with! This can't be good!

:(

It looks like I will be going online for DVD-Audio discs. :(

11. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

My brother finally deigned to bring my copy up(he forgot last visit). Review to come later this evening after giving it a few spins. But if it's up to the quality of II, it should be a must-have, not just for Chicago fans. He got it at Newbury Comics for $15.99, so about the same had I ordered it online, factoring in postage and shipping.

About "Dialogue": the original stereo mix does tend to compress the vocals(as the Quad version does not), since the title itself suggests a back-and-forth between the singers about which way to go politically, what and whom to trust, etc(hearing this on AM radio, with the mono DJ 45, makes it even more busy). Done at the peak of Nixon's popularity and youth apathy toward voting(this was the first year there was a concerted effort to get the 18 vote out--remember those Columbia/Epic label record sleeves exhorting us to do so?), the album has a turbulent undercurrent to it, with a few exceptions. Still my fave Chicago album, a #1 jazz and pop Lp, and probably where Robert Lamm really started being the #1 driving force of the band.

ED:cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.