Chord Hugo Portable DAC, an impressive device.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by LeeS, Jul 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan Thread Starter

Audio Friends,

I just thought I would share some listening notes on the Chord Hugo playing on the big rig running Amarra's latest and audioquest diamond usb cable (macbook pro with 8gb optimized for Amarra 3.0 using hirez files in "playlist" mode, the Hugo is connected to my Ref 3 preamp using Chris Sommovigo's Lectraline interconnects.) Scott Hicks from Brooks Berdan lent it to our local audio club for a week and we have been really enjoying it. It is actually Scott's personal DAC so it was well broken in.

One of my favorite albums is Alison Krauss and Union Station's Paper Airplane in 24/96. The Hugo has taken the digital playback to a whole new level with very clear individual instruments and a gorgeous bass that is nice and tight and real. Nice wide separation left to right. Nice depth front to back if a little less than the width.

I'm a huge midrange freak. If the midrange is not perfect I won't like the gear. This has a wonderful full midrange. Not too much, not too little. A nice natural, comfortable sound that will keep me in the listening chair all night.

Dynamic range is stellar. Truly a level above most of the DACs I have heard. It's in a small package but this behaves like a big box component. Listen to classical cuts like Bolero or orchestral fare like well recorded Beethoven and well it draws you into the music...

The level of resolution is truly spectacular. It has all the detail an analytical listener would love but it doesn't sound analytical-it's simply musical. I always thought the level of detail on my Benchmark DAC1 Pre and my friend's DAC2 were among the best you could get but the Hugo is at a whole other level like a really reference level DAC like an MSB or Berkeley. The Hugo just lets the music through with a eye-opening level of clarity. I really like the new Led Zeppelin reissues on both LP and the hirez files. Here the hirez files are brought to life so well. Plant's vocals are clear, Page's guitar work breaks through with sensational realism, and Bonham's drums just echo around on Zepp II like real drums. Breathtaking. And you probable know how much better the bass comes through in the latest masterings...deep but tight.

So what accounts for such fine performance? I'm not entirely sure but I am guessing it has a lot to do with the designer Robert Watts who used a Xilinx FPGA and did the chip coding from the ground floor up.

At our local club event, we had Grado PS500s and Audeze LCD-XC headphones both of which sound amazing with the Hugo. The level of clarity on the PS500s is shocking. We did an impromptu listening station at the club and people were blown away. The midrange is even more present on the Audezes. People love the Audezes too. The Hugo has a terrific amp and can drive hard to drive cans like the Audezes and the Hifi Man.

So in summary I think this is truly a reference level DAC. You can put it on the big rig and get world class digital. Then if you travel for your job like I do, you can throw it into your computer bag and listen to hirez files on the plane from your iPad (yep it has a battery!).

I'm very impressed so far with this small but powerful device. I wish I had the money now but I don't. I'm going to have to send it back tomorrow morning so I'm enjoying the final listening session tonight.

I'm going to miss it. One of the more impressive audio components I have experienced.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
    Shiver, ElvisCaprice and beowulf like this.
  2. Scott Hicks

Scott Hicks Active Member

Awesome Write up Lee!

i love my Hugo and after hearing a Yes Fragile 24/96 Flac on one I knew i had to own one.

LeeS likes this.
  3. LeeS

I'm listening to Crosseyed and Painless from the Talking Heads now. I've never heard the bass on this track sound so good.

Scott Hicks likes this.
  4. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

I've not heard this DAC, and it may well be great (though I never liked Chord's amplifiers), but don't get taken in by the bumf on their website about sampling rates and inter-aural time delays, etc.!

Scott Hicks likes this.
  5. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Might as well have three different threads for the same DAC.

6. LeeS

I don't know about that but the FPGA used in the AMR 777 seems to work well too. As for the Hugo, it's certainly one of the most transparent DACs I have heard.

Scott Hicks likes this.
  7. Ellsworth

Ellsworth Forum Resident

Thanks for the write up. I have a new DAC on my list for 2015 so this was of particular interest. There have been many great comments on this DAC.

Scott Hicks and LeeS like this.
  8. ElvisCaprice

ElvisCaprice Forum Resident

Awesome Lee,
    glad to hear you like the Hugo as much as I do with the Audeze LCD-X. :cool:

[​IMG]

Scott Hicks and LeeS like this.
  9. LeeS

Nice rig!

Scott Hicks and ElvisCaprice like this.
  10. LeeS

I wish the uploading of photos was easier here. I have some nice ones to share.

Scott Hicks likes this.
  11. ElvisCaprice

ElvisCaprice Forum Resident

Lee, just post them in a free photo upload site like photobucket then use the image link at the top to enter in the html address from photo bucket. Works great. I just copy and paste the address in.

c-eling and Scott Hicks like this.
  12. schugh

schugh Forum Resident

Oh man just when I'd talked myself out of buying it you had to go and get me fired up again! -- Sanjay

LeeS likes this.
  13. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

This DAC has had more buzz and praise than any component I can remember in the last 10 years. It must be something special. Maybe I will seek it out. The headphone capability is a turn off for me because I don't need portable audio, only main stereo use. But still, I have heard it delivers even just as a main rig component.

14. triple

triple Senior Member

I thought that the AMR was a NOS dac like their CD players, but they might have moved away from that technology for this dac to be able to handle DSD.

Has this Hugo AID been modified by the manufacturer to accommodate large RCA interconnects? I read somewhere that they are going to do that.

15. LeeS

I believe they introduced a newer case that solves that issue. Worked fine with my cables. On the 1/8" headphone input, it's too tight for the Grado adaptor but there is a 1/4" that works perfectly with the Grados.

16. LeeS

No worries, it is just as good as a main rig component.

17. rhubarb9999

rhubarb9999 Forum Resident

I am sure it is a fine sounding DAC .. but waaaaaaaay overpriced. Looking at the board itself and components used, there is nothing to justify that price. No heavy duty power supply, no high end caps. Most of the parts are SMD (a few pennies in bulk). Oh well.

I'll wait for the $300 clone that will most likely be out in 6 months.

18. triple

triple Senior Member

^ Battery powered electronics do not use massive power supplies.

19. rhubarb9999

rhubarb9999 Forum Resident

Exactly. So what is it in this thing that costs so much?

20. triple

triple Senior Member

Manufacturer's profit. As it is in all other goods. Why the fuss?

This thing is a very good dac and a headphone amp in the same (very compact) casing. Some users actually prefer smaller, transportable gear like this. I have a friend who is such a user.

If you like bulky gear, why are you even discussing the Hugo?

LeeS likes this.
  21. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

Good luck with the clone having the FPGA code that appears to create the Hugo magic.

LeeS likes this.
  22. LeeS

Some people don't realize how much development goes into a FPGA-based DAC.

Scott Hicks, Chris F and deadcoldfish like this.
  23. Ellsworth

Ellsworth Forum Resident

I am resurrecting this thread with what might be considered a fairly stupid question. How much of a pain is this to turn on and off if using as a stand-alone DAC?

My rack is in an awkward position and it looks like you need to press two small buttons simultaneously to use it as a standalone DAC. It is a small consideration but I don't want to have to do a yoga pose to power it on and off.

I am considering the Hugo, NAD M51, and the Perfect Wave DACII as an upgrade from my Rega DAC. Based on comments, the Hugo seems like the winner in terms of sound quality for dollars. The OP hit on my key points - great detail, natural tone, and good midrange. However, the form factor of the Hugo is a definite drawback.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.