Chord Mojo - FPGA technology for $600.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by LeeS, Jan 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eb24

eb24 Active Member

can only answer your second question - yes you would but you can also let it permanently plugged in...

i honestly think the mojo is one of the best buys in hifi out there at the moment, so if you can make the connection work i would give it a try

2. audiohound

audiohound Forum Resident

Thanks very much!

3. Fregly

Fregly Well-Known Member

Has anyone compared the Mojo to the Oppo portable or any of the Centrance products or anything else in the category?

4. ernest787

ernest787 Forum Resident

I haven't had a ton of time with hit yet, so this is very fluid right now... but so far I'm very, very impressed with the Mojo.

Ran it through my Macbook with a pair of Sine headphones and was really blown away.

I also stuck it in my main system. I previously used the Wyred Dac 2 in the system. I've only had an hour or so of listening time with the Mojo in the system, but right now I think the Mojo is better.

I need to listen more, but I don't regret my decision to let go of the Dac2 for the Mojo. In fact, I'm even more interested in the 2qute or Hugo now.

LeeS and eb24 like this.
  5. NYMets41

NYMets41 Forum Resident

I'm so hooked on Mojo that I cannot bear to listen without it. It's stunning.

Isaac McHelicopter and LeeS like this.
  6. Jlbrach

Jlbrach Forum Resident

For 600 dollars it sure is...I also own the higher end Chord desktop DAC's and they are even better but as a portable choice you simply cannot beat the Mojo

7. ernest787

ernest787 Forum Resident

Just as an update to my last post. Have had the opportunity to listen to it quite a bit now and I must say I love it. It works great in my main system and sounds more "musical" than the Wyred ever did. The music just seems to come to life more.

I love the portability of it too. Being able to unplug it from the system and take it to the bedroom to plug into my Macbook is amazing. Cannot recommend this DAC enough.

LeeS likes this.
  8. Isaac McHelicopter

Isaac McHelicopter Possession is a clue but not the game.

A word of warning about the Mojo....

I mentioned in an earlier post that it's potentially LOUD. Well, the other day, I was out walking with the Mojo and Fiio X5 in my pocket and Sennheiser IE80s in my ears, ready to enjoy some high quality sound on the move. I fumbled in my pocket to turn things on, but must have accidentally pressed the two Mojo volume buttons at the same time as powering it up. Arrgghhh! The loudest sound I've ever heard hit me, because I'd switched it to line out mode by mistake. My hearing survived, because I pulled the plug out within seconds, but the same, sadly, can't be said for the Sennheisers, which were blown to bits. :shake: An expensive mistake!

Enjoy the Mojo everybody; it's a great piece of kit, but be careful when you switch it on....

Shiver likes this.
  9. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan Thread Starter

This should really be an issue as the volume buttons light up with the gain levels indicate by color. So turn it on and adjust to whatever color you need for the volume. Then insert the headphones...

Also, the plus side of how loud it plays indicates how it can drive difficult cans like the Audeze.

10. EmmEff

EmmEff Well-Known Member

I hope I'm not hijacking the thread... I'm intrigued by this unit, however for me, it'll never be used as a portable DAC/headphone amp, so this functionality would be wasted. Having to put it into line-out mode after each power on would certainly grow tiresome.

Does anybody know if the 2Qute would be a comparable DAC without the headphone amp/portability? I do not have a local dealer where I could audition either.

11. ernest787

ernest787 Forum Resident

My understanding is the 2qute would be comparable and possible a little better than the Mojo. After using the Mojo in my main system, I would like to eventually purchase a 2qute to leave connected.

EmmEff likes this.
  12. TakiJones

TakiJones Senior Member

Chord Mojo $430.95 USD to USA from Amazon UK. Can this be correct?

13. YtseJammer

YtseJammer Forum Resident

I also bought the Mojo from Amazon UK. Wow, match made in heaven with my AudioQuest NightHawk.

anothertribe likes this.
  14. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

" the new Stereophile" are they changing something ?

15. LeeS

No, was referring to the latest issue back when I typed this last year.

16. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

Has anyone compared the Chord Mojo to the iFi Micro iDSD Black Label?

How about the Mojo against the Pono Player?

Thanks

17. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

Dow anyone have the Chord Poly streamer add-on for the Mojo. I'm considering it but it seems quite expensive at £500.

18. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

I just sold my Mojo/Poly; had it since it was released—what would you like to know?

19. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

Is the Poly worth the money? I use my Mojo as the DAC is my main system, currently with a Chromecast Audio supplying the digital signal.

20. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Since you’re using Chromecast, does that mean it’s staying pretty stationary?

When I bought Poly, it was the best/only way for the Mojo to be a Roon-Ready DAC. I used it in my main system and loved the sound. Now that Chromecast is Roon-supported, you could probably come up with a way to do the same thing and get acceptable quality/user experience from it.

But if you want to use it as a headphone/mobile setup, I still think Poly is the best solution.

Note that if you use it on home WiFi, it’s 2.4ghz only.

21. LeeS

I don't have one but I think it is based on what it does and how it stores data on an SD card. The sound quality is very good.

I suspect a Mojo 2 may be around the corner. Pity I was not able to hold on to the Hugo 2 I had in for review from Moon Audio.

22. Omnio

Omnio _ _ _ ____ ____ _ _ _

I'm still embarrassed to admit, but I use the mojo in my system after selling some big ass serious dac units in the past.

NYMets41 and JMAC like this.
  23. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

Yeah, it's a really nice sounding DAC. Slightly annoying that the battery keeps running out but other than that. I'd love to get one of the more expensive Chord DACs for my system.

24. NYMets41

NYMets41 Forum Resident

Love poly. Use it w SD card daily.

Spaceboy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.