Chris Pine out as Captain Kirk for new Star Trek movie. Really?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by soundboy, Aug 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

Meh, they were both weak sauce... I still contend Generations is the one and only TNG film worth watching; it felt suitably epic, had heart and some genuinely touching scenes to it, and it was the only TNG film that didn't look like an extended television episode, thanks to John A. Alonzo's gorgeous cinematography.

It has it's flaws (the script could have been better and it's a pity Paramount nickle-and-dimed them on budget) but it always felt like a suitable epilogue for the TNG crew to me... never cared for the others that followed thereafter.

First Contact had real promise, but it looked like a television episode writ large instead of an epic battle for the future of the human race, plus the very concept of the Borg Queen betrayed everything that alien race was supposed to be about originally... and don't even get me started on the Borg having time travel capabilities to begin with.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    David Campbell and dkmonroe like this.
  2. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I've always wondered why they insist on calling it "NCC-1701", instead of the more accurate, "U.S.S. Wiley Coyote".

The Hermit and David Campbell like this.
  3. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

The only decent Star Trek The Next Generation film was FIRST CONTACT, even if it felt like they were attempting to " wrath of Khan" it.

Generations was somewhat mediocre, Nemesis was indeed pretty bad and i don't even remember Insurrection aside from the fact Jonathan Frakes shaves and gets it on with Troi. Oh and F Murray Abraham was in it for some reason.

The Hermit likes this.
  4. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

5. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I re-watched Generations for the first time in several years recently and I was surprised at how well it holds up. The whole concept of the Nexus was interesting and both Shatner and Stewart turned in great performances.

I like First Contact better than you do, but there were some of what I considered to be huge plot holes in it.

The Hermit likes this.
  6. David Campbell

I guess Star Fleet is fine with Kirk and Picard getting their ships blown up as long as they don't blow through the alphabet. There could be trouble if the Enterprise NCC-1701-Z doesn't make it back. ;)

Runicen, Gumboo and The Hermit like this.
  7. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

So did Generations... specifically, how did Picard (and later Kirk) exit the Nexus... short answer is they didn't and indeed couldn't have... which makes every TNG film that followed thereafter (and the upcoming series) merely Picard's illusions, stuck forever in the Nexus, imagining/experiencing further adventures that never really happen... meanwhile he's considered dead in the real world and given a big Starfleet state funeral... Troi cries, Worf howls in typical Klingon mourning fashion and scares the kiddies, and everyone gets royally hammered on Picard family wine at the wake afterwards (Data passes out and falls face-first into the pastries, much to everyone's amusement), staggering out of bed the next morning with colossal hangovers.

End of franchise :cool:.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  8. David Campbell

Id kill to see that movie

The Hangover IV: Star Fleet hijinks!

9. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

The above made me think of "Klink" which led to a crossover between Star Trek and Hogan's Heroes where, due to flawed time travel, the crew of The Enterprise ends up in a certain POW camp during WWII.

Gumboo likes this.
  10. Solitaire1

I replaced my keyboard because I strongly disliked the flat keyboard that came with my computer (it very difficult for a touch typist to type on). Instead I purchased a Logitech keyboard with actual mechanical keys. It's so nice to have a real keyboard once again.

Michael likes this.
  11. David Campbell

Runicen and wayne66 like this.
  12. Solitaire1

I think a reason that Star Trek works better on the small screen is that due to the number of episodes in each season we are given time to get know the characters and for them to develop. As an example, in the First Season Worf went from not-even-there character (Encounter At Farpoint) to the center of a story (Heart Of Glory).

Likewise, when I watched Enterprise I didn't have much interest and dropped it after a few episodes. Later, I finally watched the later-season episodes and was surprised at how good it was. For me, some of the episodes are just as good as the best from the other series and the character that didn't like at first (T'Pol) became my favorite on the series and may be among my favorites in all of Star Trek.

I think that part of reason that the first J. J. Abrams Star Trek movie worked is that we are already familiar with the characters. They didn't have to develop from scratch. With Star Trek - The Original Series it took us a full season to get to the point that the previously mentioned movie started with.

In a related way, the current Doctor Who was built on the foundation of what has gone before. When the series returned after a long hiatus, they already had a massive amount of story resources available. Plus, they gave us mysteries that had to be answered (such as what happened during The Time War).

As far as a Kirk-less Star Trek, as the series that followed The Original Series has proved it is possible to do a successful series without the Original Crew. For me, I just want a good/great Star Trek series/movie.

Ghostworld likes this.
  13. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

According to the Hollywood Reporter article, Chris Pine and Chris Hemsworth aren’t holding out for money; they expect Paramount to honor deals that are already in place.

wayne66 and Deesky like this.
  14. David Campbell

Interesting. So two possibilities...

The previous deals were made before Star Trek Beyond under performed and Paramount wants to try and renegotiate their deals down and they are refusing.

Or...as I've theorized in Pine and even Hemsworth's case they want to squeeze another film in at a lower rate and that's a sticking point.

I think ultimately Pine will return. Hemsworth probably won't and he frankly doesn't need to. Meaning they recast George Kirk ( which they frankly could given he only had like 5 minutes of screen time in the 09 Star Trek and a lot of people wouldn't notice or care ) or just rewrite the script not to include him.

wayne66, dkmonroe and Encuentro like this.
  15. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

:sigh: Anybody know how many characters the Vulcan alphabet has....?

16. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Pine presumably has a multi-picture contract, but how could Hemsworth have had a deal in place before these negotiations? Was he signed for this movie before Beyond?

17. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

I hope this works out. I like Pine as Kirk. Don't know that I'd make it a point to see the next release if the current players are a no show.

GentleSenator and MekkaGodzilla like this.
  18. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yes, I have a real one as well but the keys are now sticking...time for a new one. : )

19. Michael

LOL!

20. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Honestly, I don’t know. I was referencing the Hollywood Reporter article which states that both actors say they have existing deals in place that Paramount is trying renege on. The article states that Hemsworth’s attachment to the film has been murky.

The deal points came down to the usual suspect: money. Pine and Hemsworth, among Hollywood’s A-list when starring in DC or Marvel movies, are said to be asking the studios to stick to existing deals. Paramount, according to insiders, contends that Star Trek is not like a Marvel or Star Wars movie and is trying to hold the line on a budget.

The actors, according to sources, insist they have deals in place and that the studios are reneging on them, forcing them to take pay cuts as they try to budget a movie that is following a mediocre performer.

Pine, at least, has had a deal in place for several years. The actor, now a key player in the Wonder Woman franchise, signed up for a fourth movie when he made his deal for 2016's Star Trek Beyond. Hemsworth has been attached to Star Trek 4 since Paramount, then run by the previous regime headed by Brad Grey, announced the fourth installment in 2016, although his exact status remains murky.

21. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I guess they planned ahead.

They might want to take this opportunity to think about whether they really have a story worth telling or whether they've just contrived something for the sake of having Chris Hemsworth in the movie. Would they have made this if Kirk's dad had been played by some other guy who never became famous?

Encuentro and David Campbell like this.
  22. David Campbell

Before Beyond came out the studio already said a Star Trek 4 was going to see Hemsworth return as George Kirk. So yes it appears that there was some tentative deal in place.

Encuentro likes this.
  23. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Jim Kirk reuniting with his father seems like a natural course for the reboot films. The series begins with George Kirk saving his unborn son. Jim Kirk struggling to come to terms with the fact that he never had the chance to know his father is a constant theme that runs through the three films. It is rumored that this fourth film will close the Kelvin timeline films. Having Jim Kirk save George Kirk to close the timeline loop would bring the series full circle. The loop is opened when George saves Jim. The loop is closed when Jim saves George.

MekkaGodzilla and budwhite like this.
  24. Michael

25. I saw the first reboot movie, and really hated it. WAY too action packed, and barely believable scenarios -- (individual jet-pack-suits, zipping around in the middle-atmosphere of a planet, really???) -- and I think the only reason I made it all the way through was that I think(?) I actually paid to see it in a theater. (Though to be completely honest, I disliked it so much -- that I honestly cannot remember if I saw it in a theater, or on cable TV later.) Never even bothered with the 2nd reboot movie (has there been a 3rd one? - I guess so, but I haven't kept track).

Maybe I'll get around to seeing them on cable eventually, but I think I've DVR'ed the 2nd one twice already -- only to later delete it (unwatched), simply because I was running out of DVR space at the time (twice, mind you).

I'd MUCH rather Enterprise had gone on 3 more seasons, than ensure any of this new "lens-flare-riffic!" Star Trek. Gack!

mikeyt and Deesky like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.