Chris Robinson's new Black Crowes project

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cable hogue, Nov 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

It's nothing new. Just re-writing the same old feud again and again

highway chile and Matthew Tate like this.
  2. Rockin' Robby

Rockin' Robby Gettin' down so low I'm below ground!

Graham likes this.
  3. Graham

Graham Senior Member

What a tool. Steve has said exactly the same thing too.

And The Crow Flies was so transparently a money grab and an egotistical knee-jerk response to Rich, Marc and Sven playing Crowes songs again in The Magpie Salute. Not to mention being awful.

Just wish he’d shut up and stick to the CRB, who I really like, despite the revolting adulation given to him by those on the band’s social media platforms (all adopting his “cosmic”, “freak”, “unicorn”... vomit-inducing, faux-psychedelic codswallup.)

4. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

5. Further

Further Forum Resident

Isn't it interesting that every time Rich is doing something new and experiencing success in some way, Chris decides it's time to speak.

Says it all, really.

6. cable hogue

cable hogue Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hearing rumors about more ATCF shows, including New Years Eve in Port Chester..

Bonddm and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. Wiserforthetime

Wiserforthetime Forum Resident

I'd go again. Hope they come back to St. Louis

8. markelis

markelis Forum Resident

Sorry, but I am having trouble understanding how you consider the thrash scene as a subset of hair metal. Could you elaborate on how you are connecting hardcore thrash to Bon Jovi?

FourWalledWorld likes this.
  9. markelis

markelis Forum Resident

Kind of late to this thread, but just wanted to chip in with my two cents on my long time Crowes experience.

I had read about The Black Crowes and their debut, SYMM, in Kerrang Magazine before the album was even released and snapped it up the first day. Loved the Stones / Faces vibe. Saw them at a small but legendary club in New Haven CT called Toads Place on that tour, before the hits had even really started coming (it’s a long time ago, but I am pretty damn certain Burning Tree opened).

I waited with baited breath for TSHAMC to drop and, man, those first 10 seconds of Remedy just rearranged my world, such a quantum leap forward in sound, style and musicianship. Remedy, Thorn in My Pride, No Speak and Bad Luck all still are “crank it to 11 songs” for me to this day, 25 years later. Saw them again on that tour, and thought they blew the old line up away. 99 Lbs was such a great b-side as well.

Amorica kept the ball rolling, big time. On this one, i liked the ballads best. Descending, Wiser Time, Cursed Diamond and Non Fiction were so sweet and such chill vibes. Other than Gone, which slayed, I was less thrilled by the rockers. To this day, i never liked A Conspiracy much. That said, Chevrolet was a great rockin b-side. Maybe this thread will cause a 2 centuries later revisit to A Conspiracy and the other more upbeat tracks to see if I missed something.

TSAOC was the first let down for me. All the songs were “good” but they moved into too mid paced of a zone for me. I mix songs from this release into a playlist and enjoy it that way, but never was totally sold on the album as a whole. Additionally, and this may sound a bit harsh, I don’t think there’s a single song on this release that truly qualifies as a Black Crowes classic, all good, a few great, but not one that I would play to someone to show them what made TBC such a great band.

I am clearly in a very small minority here, but I actually really enjoy BYS. I will concur that the album was a step back artistically. Gone were the mind expanding jams and the cohesive and loosely thematic flow from one song to another found in particular on TSHAMC and Amorica, their best albums IMO. Instead though, you had a handful of truly catchy songs just begging for radio play. Unfortunately, the timing was off on that one and it was ignored. Like the rest of you though, Marc Ford’s absence was felt.

After the tour with Jimmy Page, I had such high hopes for Lions. I had really envisioned that playing with Page would light a fire under their rock ‘n’ roll asses. My expectations were not met, and I have just never been able to get fully into the album. I think Soul Singing is it fantastic song, but truthfully not very much else on that release stood out for me. Further, as with many of you, I saw that tour (after missing them touring behind TSAOC and BYS) and the show was just a disaster. I remember very clearly Chris Robinson acting very pissy throughout the entire show because “This is a rock ‘n’ roll show, why aren’t you people dancing?” I left thinking to myself “when you start putting out some good songs and playing them well, the then the people dance.” My only positive recollection from the entire show was how well they played Soul Singing. Sadly, I really lost interest in them after that.

Warpaint didn't get my attention at all, there are literally no songs fro that disc that make my Crowes playlists. although I probably didn’t give it a fair shake and I may revisit it now. BTF/ATF has a couple of songs I dig (I may be the only person on this thread that likes I Ain’t Hiding. There are a good half dozen other songs I like, but that’s still pretty pathetic out of a 20 song release.

Overall, I believe my main loss of interest was due to Chris Robinson. Sorry, I am not trying to pile on, but, sorry, I am not a jam band guy. I loved the Crowes stew of Zep, Stones, Faces etc. a/k/a old time rock n roll. Chris stopped being a rock and roll singer somewhere along the way. First it was his “hey, wtf, I am playing up here, so you NEED to dance and cheer”. Nope, sorry, I paid to see a rock band, it’s your job to entertain me. If you entertain me, I will dance. If you bore me, I will snore. TSAOC and Lions made me snore, and the Lions tour put me to sleep. It was a far cry from the firing on all cylinders band that rocked my world when I saw them live for TSHAMC and Amorica. ...and other than Freak and Roll Live, they never recovered. A few good songs per album doesn’t cut it.

The Crowes and G’n’R were breathes of fresh air in an otherwise dead late 80s early 90s rock scene. Those two bands captured the authenticity and danger of real rock (I might toss Tesla in too [no, they are NOT a hair band] and I am not saying there were no others, but those two bands were the real deal. Too explosive to hold back and too combustible to last. They both burned bright and then burnt out (both leaving behind the hollow husk of what they once were). I miss them both.

clhboa, KeninDC, twicks and 6 others like this.
  10. markelis

markelis Forum Resident

Can you imagine if Axl Rose had had the foresight to bring Ed Harsch into GnR? They could have moved in so many interesting directions. Stupid comment, I suppose, because I guess you could insert in any other band for GnR. Yet, with Axl’s obvious love for Elton John and Queen, if you had added that keyboard capability into the GnR mix, the sky could have been the limited. I know, incredible thoughts!

11. cable hogue

ATCF news forthcoming...stay tuned.

Hep Alien likes this.
  12. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

What's "ATCF"?

13. cable hogue

As The Crow Flies.

ianuaditis likes this.
  14. jazz_case

jazz_case Forum Resident

New Year's Eve at the Capitol Theatre in Port Chester, NY perhaps?

15. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Ah, I'm dumb!
    Will it be more shows, or a CD/vinyl release of that last tour?

16. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

With special guests, Rich Robinson and Steve Gorman!

17. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Pretty sure we'll see a Zeppelin reunion, with John Bonham, before that.

18. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Am I the only excited by the new Betty’s Blends ?

19. TSWisla

TSWisla Forum Resident

No, I just saw them last Friday in Madison. Wonderful band!

20. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

“I don’t have a brother anymore,” he continued. “I don’t speak to him. We don’t speak. I haven’t spoken to him in four years. And I think that that is what it is. So I would never wanna go down that road again.

"I don't have a brother anymore", says man who talks about his brother in every interview

21. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

I wish there was a CD option.

Erik B. likes this.
  22. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

To be fair, he's answering a question he was asked. It's not like he's bringing him up out of nowhere, also, refusing to answer the question would be weird too.

23. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

That is true, I think for me just some of the remarks me makes when asked those questions, like insulting Magpie in roundabout ways (or straight up lol) and all that, like it is for sure him not taking the high road on that feud

Hep Alien likes this.
  24. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

CDs are so 1993

Jack, walrus, Mr Mojo and 1 other person like this.
  25. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

Not all of us are so cashed-up that we can afford outrageous prices for vinyl, such as are being asked for this release.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.