Chuck Prophet - UK dates in September

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by arthurprecarious, May 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident Thread Starter

Chuck in the UK IN September for a few dates with Stephanie and Jesse Malin

Chuck Prophet

windfall likes this.
  2. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Yep, and there are a few more announced with a handful still tbc
    Chuck Prophet acoustic tour with special guests Jesse Malin this September in Europe. Chuck will be joined by Stephanie Finch performing some rare acoustic shows in seated venues:
    11 Leiden, NL – Q-Bus dinsdag 11 september 2018 - vanPolanen presenteert: CHUCK PROPHET (all Seated)
    12 Rotterdam, NL - Lantaren Venster Chuck Prophet - LantarenVenster Rotterdam
    13 Arnhem, NL – Luxor Live Get your tickets for Chuck Prophet
    15 Groningen, NL – Lutherse Kerk Chuck Prophet (solo)
    19 Bury – The Met Chuck Prophet and Stephanie Finch - The Met
    20 Glasgow – Cottiers Theatre Chuck Prophet (acoustic)
    21 Newcastle – Gosforth Civic Double Bill - Chuck Prophet (duo) +
    23 Nottingham – Glee Club Chuck Prophet & Stephanie Finch + Jesse Malin
    25 Brighton – Komedia Buy - Komedia Brighton

Shows in London, Leeds, Bristol, Belgium and more tba soon!

arthurprecarious likes this.
  3. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

BTW, and slightly off topic, but Chuck's "Econoline" was part of the soundtrack to last weeks episode of "Billions".

4. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Chuck reckoned it was barely audible in the show! Is that right?

5. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Yes, unfortunately. I only knew it was playing because I was using subtitles. Still, in a show that has had a very eclectic soundtrack this season hearing Chuck on it kind of blew my mind.

windfall likes this.
  6. neilpatto

neilpatto Forum Resident

Still waiting for the Leeds gig to be confirmed, but booked in for Newcastle and Sheffield so far. Bring it on!

7. neilpatto

neilpatto Forum Resident

PS the Sheffield gig is Greystones on 24 Sept, not listed in Windfall's list.

8. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Chuck opened for The Pretenders in San Francisco at the weekend. Loved this tweet from him about James Walbourne, Pretenders lead guitarist and one half of the excellent folk-rock duo The Rails (with Kami Thompson, daughter of Richard and Linda).

Chuck Prophet on Twitter

sberger likes this.
  9. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Quick report on a couple of the Chuck Prophet / Stephanie Finch shows. The first, in Twyford, near Winchester, was a birthday gig for promoter Oliver Gray, who has taken care of Chuck's shows in this area for many years. A village hall, odd cross between a private party and a gig. Even Chuck was not quite sure what was going on in that regard, but it was a special evening, with opening acts Lucas and King and then a warm and loose set by John Murry. Chuck and Stephie played for just over an hour. You can tell it's still coming together. I think it all came together about 4 or 5 songs in when they did Dylan's Abandoned Love (I won't do too many setlist spoilers here - no surprise, I am sure, to hear they did that one). Got the crowd out of their seats for the last two songs. What I love about these shows is the way Stephie is given equal level on the vocal mic, with her piano/guitar just below Chuck's. Stephie's voice was clear as a bell, and they had some great and surprising harmonies woven throughout the show.

That was Saturday night. Sunday we drove up to Harpenden and after a rather lengthy soundcheck and a relaxed dinner it was the first "proper" show of the tour with Jesse Malin opening (a duo performance, never heard him before, high energy performance and some really good songs in a kind of Ryan Adams vein).

It's all starting to click. A longer show which also included a new song of Stephie's, which is way up there quality wise with the best of Go Go Market and her Cry Tomorrow album. It was a big hall, high stage, Chuck is having to get used to being disconnected from the audience (Twyford was similarly at a distance from the crowd), a very different vibe to a band show, more like a performance people sit back and listen to.

They rehearsed about 50 songs for this tour before cutting it down. Chuck tells me they have my frequently requested Heart Breaks Like the Dawn in the mix, so hoping I may get to hear it in London next Tuesday or at the final show of the tour in Brighton the following Tuesday.

As I say, it is really starting to gel as a show, they are growing in confidence and the arrangements are bedding down. It will only get better.

Looking forward to reports from @neilpatto!

DATE VENUE            LOCATION DETAILS TICKETS
    TUE SEP 11 Q-BUS LEIDEN NETHERLANDS Chuck Prophet acoustic with Stephanie Finch. Jesse Malin supports. BUY TIX
    WED SEP 12 LANTAREN VENSTER ROTTERDAM NETHERLANDS Chuck Prophet acoustic with Stephanie Finch. Jesse Malin supports. BUY TIX
    THU SEP 13 LUXOR LIVE ARNHEIM NETHERLANDS Chuck Prophet acoustic with Stephanie Finch. Jesse Malin supports. BUY TIX
    FRI SEP 14 DE SINGER RIJKEVORSEL BELGIUM Chuck Prophet acoustic with Stephanie Finch. Jesse Malin supports. BUY TIX
    SAT SEP 15 LUTHERSE KIRK GRONINGEN NETHERLANDS Chuck Prophet acoustic with Stephanie Finch. Jesse Malin supports. BUY TIX
    SUN SEP 16 LEFFINGELEUREN FESTIVAL LEFFINGELEUREN BELGIUM Chuck Prophet acoustic with Stephanie Finch. Jesse Malin supports. BUY TIX
    MON SEP 17 HEN & CHICKENS BRISTOL UNITED KINGDOM Chuck Prophet acoustic with Stephanie Finch. Jesse Malin supports. BUY TIX
    TUE SEP 18 BUSH HALL LONDON UNITED KINGDOM Chuck Prophet acoustic with Stephanie Finch. TBC supports.
    WED SEP 19 THE MET BURY UNITED KINGDOM Chuck Prophet acoustic with Stephanie Finch. Jesse Malin supports. BUY TIX
    THU SEP 20 COTTIERS THEATRE GLASGOW UNITED KINGDOM Chuck Prophet acoustic with Stephanie Finch. BUY TIX
    FRI SEP 21 GOSFORTH CIVIC NEWCASTLE UNITED KINGDOM Chuck Prophet acoustic with Stephanie Finch. Jesse Malin supports. BUY TIX
    SAT SEP 22 BRUDENELL SOCIAL CLUB LEEDS UNITED KINGDOM Chuck Prophet acoustic with Stephanie Finch. Jesse Malin supports. BUY TIX
    SUN SEP 23 THE GLEE CLUB NOTTINGHAM UNITED KINGDOM Chuck Prophet acoustic with Stephanie Finch. Jesse Malin opens. BUY TIX
    MON SEP 24 GREYSTONES SHEFFIELD UNITED KINGDOM Chuck Prophet acoustic with Stephanie Finch. Jesse Malin supports. BUY TIX
    TUE SEP 25 KOMEDIA BRIGHTON UNITED KINGDOM Chuck Prophet acoustic with Stephanie Finch. Jesse Malin supports. BUY TIX

10. arthurprecarious

I'll be there on 21st with my missus. Arriving back from holiday the night before!

11. windfall

windfall Senior Member

good timing!

12. Razzle123

Razzle123 Forum Resident

I was at the Harpenden show too. Really enjoyed it, and thought having Stephanie there too made it a lot better than the last time I saw Chuck playing solo acoustic (though that was by no means bad!). Strange venue though, and being seated at a Chuck gig is just wrong :) . Like windfall I hadn't heard Jesse Malin before but I really enjoyed his set too. So all together it was a pretty good night in Harpenden, if I can I'll try to get to the Bush Hall show in London next week as well.

windfall likes this.
  13. keyse1

keyse1 Forum Resident

What about Australia
    Ask him to bring Alejandro with him

14. windfall

windfall Senior Member

I am sure he would love to. My sense is that it would be impossible to make the numbers add up, unfortunately...

15. keyse1

keyse1 Forum Resident

Yes
    True
    I have friends who have seen Alejandro Escovedo a couple of times in the US
    I would love to see both of them but very much doubt it will ever happen
    Sadly

16. neilpatto

neilpatto Forum Resident

Hey Windfall & co, thanks for the updates. I'm just back in the country after a trip to France, really looking forward to the northern leg of this tour, starting at Glasgow next week. Great to hear that 'Abandoned Love' is in the set again, it's perfect in the duo setting.
    I've seen Jesse Malin a number of times before, so I know that he makes a great choice as opener.
    BTW Alejandro Escovedo is playing Europe and UK in a few weeks so look out for that too.
    NP

17. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Sad news from London that Chuck was unable to play last night, he was too sick. Knowing Chuck's level of commitment and how he battles through just about anything, it must have been really bad. The crowd was quite shocked when the announcement was made two songs into Jesse Malin's opening set. Stunned silence. Then Jesse started playing again and 3 or 4 times he got the crowd to applaud Chuck, or dedicated a song to him, and the crowd roared back. A lot of love in the room. Refunds were being offered to all, but Jesse just stood and played for a full 90 minutes.

Neil and any others, hope that the night off has given Chuck the breathing space he needs to get himself better for the rest of the tour. These tours without a night off, and sometimes with long, long journeys, are brutal. If he makes it, I will be in Brighton for the final night of the tour.

18. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

Not sure I can remember Chuck ever having to cancel a show in all the time I've been following him!

19. neilpatto

neilpatto Forum Resident

Windfall, thanks for the update. That's a helluva shame for all concerned. Hoping it's nothing too serious and Chuck will be able to pick up the remaining nights of the tour. Fingers crossed.NP

windfall likes this.
  20. neilpatto

neilpatto Forum Resident

A quick update - I'm just back from the show at Glasgow (Thursday). I'm pleased to report that Chuck is in good health and the gig was a treat. Stephie's new song was an early highlight, 'Abandoned Love' was a joy and 'New Years Day' was magnificent. The venue was Cottiers Theatre, a beautiful converted church in the west end. All seated venue, but both Jesse Malin and Chuck got us up on our feet by the end of each set. All parties are looking forward to the remaining dates of the tour, be there if you can.
    NP

21. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Great news, Neil. Thanks for the update! These are really special shows. It might be a while before we see them doing this duo thing again... make the most of it while it's there!

22. neilpatto

neilpatto Forum Resident

All good in Gosforth tonight, Chuck is clearly getting back to full fitness. Good crowd, slightly more vocal than Glasgow, that's Friday night I guess. No setlist surprises but thoroughly fine night! NP

23. neilpatto

neilpatto Forum Resident

Just back home after the Leeds gig (Saturday). The venue was the Brudenell Social Club, a great place for live music and well liked by Chuck, Stephie and the Mission Express guys. After seeing a couple of seated shows it felt good to standing in a dark sweaty room, a few feet away from the performers.
    Jesse & Derek really warmed up the crowd with a loud & rocking acoustic set with a punk rock edge. Jesse has switched up the songs on this tour but 'Bar Life' has been the singalong highlight each night. Tonight it had the added unplanned bonus of a second guitar part, the sound of Chuck noodling along on acoustic guitar from the other side of the curtain that separates the room from the 'backstage' area.
    Chuck & Stephie stuck to the same setlist as previous nights but the show was definitely looser and the performance benefitted from the 'in your face' crowd interaction. I suspect that Chuck & Stephie will particularly remember the gig for the on-stage yoga from the drunken stage invader (I'm not making this up).
    Another excellent night's entertainment, maybe not the perfect room sound but just more FUN than a seated venue.
    The tour draws to a close in a few days time, get along to Nottingham, Sheffield or Brighton if you get the chance.
    NP

windfall likes this.
  24. arthurprecarious

I enjoyed Fridays gig in Newcastle (Gosforth). Jesse was solid support and a good crowd. Nice "Abandoned Love".

During the gig Chuck Prophet told a good story about a night a few years ago on a solo acoustic USA tour with a female singer called Kim Richey and Ryan Adams not long after Ryan left Whiskeytown. They're sitting around jamming and Ryan goes off into a cupboard. Chuck can hear him strumming and singing a bit. After about 10 minutes he comes out and says "Hey guys, I wrote a new song - you wanna hear it?" Chuck says "Yeah, go on". So he plays "Come Pick Me Up". Chuck is bowled over and Ryan plays it at that nights show and it goes down a storm. After the show Ryan goes off somewhere and Chuck says to Kim Ritchie "Well, what about that new song that Ryan wrote in the cupboard in like 10 minutes". Kim says "Yeah, OK, he played that for me at least two weeks ago". Much laughter.

windfall likes this.
  25. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Thanks for the reports! Yeah, the sitdown shows have felt more like recitals. Which I kinda like for the format of the music and the song choices. But I know it's not Chuck's preference generally. In Harpenden, he got them to move all the seats forward so they were closer to the (high) stage.

Hoping to get to Brighton if my on-going family dramas allow!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.