Classic Hip Hop Year-By-Year: 1986-1995

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kanno1ae, Mar 15, 2017.

1. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident

This is true, I probably need to get a lot more into 80's Hip-hop anyway.

kanno1ae likes this.
  2. kanno1ae

kanno1ae Forum Resident Thread Starter

Nice. My first time hearing this track. This must've been one of the earliest singles on Def Jam, too, coming out in '86.

3. kanno1ae

For me, the pre-1987 stuff I like is mostly singles. Admittedly, I only own a handful of full-length albums from this time period, but there are some really good compilations that summarize the early era nicely. The 15-disc Rapmasters series on Priority Records includes a lot of the essential tracks, and of course the Sugarhill Records compilations (especially the Rhino ones) are excellent.

4. hayden10538

hayden10538 Well-Known Member

The only skipping to be done around here is to this classic

:unhunh:

Machiventa and kanno1ae like this.
  5. kanno1ae

6. hayden10538

Hearing Doug E. Fresh's The Show reminded me of this track. Both came out in '85 and featured the Inspector Gadget theme:

But my favourite track from 86 has got to be this one, the last great Grandmaster Flash track:

Grandmaster Flash - Fastest man alive

7. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

There's so much here I need to go through! Great thread.

kanno1ae likes this.
  8. kanno1ae

While we're on 1986, we have to talk about this guy:

[​IMG]

Doctor Dre (Andre Brown), in 1986, was also affiliated with Def Jam. He toured as the DJ for the Beastie Boys while they were promoting License To Ill. (Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he might have done some or all of the cuts/scratches on the album.) He also recorded the classic 12" single with Original Concept, "Knowledge Me/Can You Feel It," and both tracks have been heavily sampled in other hip-hop songs.

Of course, he would later become the host of Yo! MTV Raps, which brought rap and hip-hop into the living rooms of millions of kids around the world, including mine. I'm sure we will be discussing that show heavily when we get to 1988. Sadly, Doctor Dre has battled with diabetes, which caused him to go blind as of a few years ago.

A personal story about Dre: A very good friend of mine, who is a collector of 12" hip-hop and R&B singles, came across someone selling sealed and mint 12" singles online. After inquiring about the records, he found out that they were from Dre's collection. As it turns out, in the early 1990s, Dre had asked a friend of his if he could store some of his stuff in a tractor trailer somewhere in NY. (Apparently, Dre's friend had a business that bought and sold tractor trailers.) So, about 10 years went by, and Dre's friend asked him to come get his stuff from the tractor trailer, which had been sitting in the middle of a field for all those years. Another several years passed, along with more prompting to "come get your stuff," but Dre never came back for his belongings, and the people at the tractor trailer business decided to start selling it. My close friend then made an offer to buy a good chunk of the collection, which included vintage clothing, a few pallets (yes, pallets) stacked with boxes of un-played 12" records, a handful of Gold & Platinum plaques, some old DJ mixers, a vintage keyboard, and the original master tapes of Original Concept's recordings for Def Jam. :yikes:

VH3FAN, druboogie, ianuaditis and 5 others like this.
  9. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I really liked those old DJ Cheese cuts like this one with Word Of Mouth from '86.

Coast To Coast

10. nmesen

nmesen Forum Resident

This has always been one of my favorites...
    Rappin' Duke!

VH3FAN likes this.
  11. kanno1ae

Love this record! Also a favorite of mine, even though it's a novelty song. (Forever immortalized in the lyrics to Biggie's "Juicy" - "Remember 'Rappin' Duke,' da-ha da-ha / you never thought hip hop would take it this far.")

VH3FAN likes this.
  12. djej

djej Forum Resident

Yes, I believe you're right that INAB was Def Jam's first single. That is the CD I was thinking of; I just thought it came out earlier than that. Clearly, I was wrong.

13. kanno1ae

You weren't wrong at all. We're talking about two different songs. The original "I Need A Beat" was a 12" only release, just like you said. Your original comment about a Def Jam CD compilation was in regards to "Rock The Bells," which I do know exists on a UK LL Cool J Twelve Inch Mixes comp. And it appears to be on the same Japanese Def Jam V/A as the original "I Need A Beat": Various - Def Jam Meeting - I do not know if "Rock The Bells" is also a dub from the 12" on this disc.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  14. Naughty Chord

Naughty Chord Hole in my Socrates

I didn't really get into hip-hop until the 90s so the 80s stuff I heard was all individual songs via radio, MTV or early 80s break dancers in Waikiki. I'm still not a big fan of 80s hip-hop. Most of it sounds kinda corny and singsongy to my 2017 ears.

This track is probably the first time I actually was interested in a hip-hop song. So I fit the demographic that can claim this song as a hip-hop gateway. I considered Aerosmith a washed up band at this point but I was gratified to see this collaboration breathe new life into them. I thought the video was pretty cool, funny and original. Still do.

Of course I saw Fight For Your Right on MTV. You couldn't escape it. I thought it had a cool punk vibe to it. Later on I got into the Beasties heavily. This is still the only Beastie's title I don't have on vinyl and I really don't care. It's really the only one I don't spin frequently.

kanno1ae likes this.
  15. kanno1ae

Do you think this collaboration led to Aerosmith's revival as a hit-making act with Permanent Vacation? I mean, without "Walk This Way," would we have had "Dude Looks Like A Lady," "Angel," and "Rag Doll"?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
    ianuaditis and Naughty Chord like this.
  16. Naughty Chord

Naughty Chord Hole in my Socrates

At the time I was absolutely sure that this collab revived Aerosmith. I loved them in the 70s but hadn't really listened to them since Rocks. This brought them back into public consciousness. And the rap/rock intersection woke up a lot of rockers to the fact that rap could be pretty cool after all.

ianuaditis, Stormrider77 and kanno1ae like this.
  17. Sister Disco

Sister Disco Forum Resident

1996 should also be part of hip-hop's golden age...

18. kanno1ae

If there's interest, we'll just keep right on a-going past 1995!

havenz and Naughty Chord like this.
  19. hayden10538

Any particular reason why?

20. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

I loved this back in the day and remember going to see DJ Cheese play in a club in Manchester.
    I was blown away, he just ripped it up ... Apparently he didn't pay for his deck rental on the tour or something and had people chasing him for the cash!

VH3FAN, Naughty Chord and Synthfreek like this.
  21. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

Gotta say I would have started at 1985 - I've just looked through my 12" hip-hop vinyl and there are so many stone-cold classics from 85 ...

VH3FAN, druboogie and Synthfreek like this.
  22. kanno1ae

Feel free to discuss '85 releases among the '86 discussion. Let's just try to reserve the '87 stuff for a little later. What's your favorite track from '85?

23. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

That would have to be the mighty Roxanne Shante - Queen of Rox
    I was / still am a big fan of Shante …

Here are some of my favourite other 12”s from 85 -

B-Boys Stick up Kid
    Roxanne Shante - Runaway
    Rockmaster Scott and Dynamic Three - Roof is on Fire
    Afrika Bambaata and Family - Funk You

I'm going to have to have a session with these - my new neighbours might be in for surprise!!

24. D.H.

D.H. Forum Resident

Hip hop albums in the similar vein as Beastie Boys

I was only turning two that year, but I can imagine PB was a head scratcher to some, even though it's hard to understand why today.

kanno1ae likes this.
  25. hayden10538