'Classic Track' - 'Lies' - The Knickerbockers (1965)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob Lovely, Oct 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam Thread Starter

Friends,

After a one week absence, the 'classic track' returns. For this week, I have chosen a fun track from 1965 - 'Lies' by the Knickerbockers. 'Lies' is a very interesting and energetic track. I can clearly recall some of my friends thinking that this song was by The Beatles. Was that the goal?

I have three (3) Stereo mix versions on my collection:

1) From the Sundazed CD as mastered by Bob Irwin. It sounds pretty good but the EQ choices do not seem quite right to me.

2) From the Ace 'Chartbusters U.S.A., Vol. # 3' as mastered by Duncan Cowell. It is obvious that Duncan was trying to match the tonality of the original '45'. To my ears, it is a bit 'toppy' as Sckott would say. Otherwise, it sounds very compelling.

3) From the Varese Sarabande '12 Hits Of The 60's, Vol. # 1' as mastered by Steve Massie. To my ears, this version is pretty much a flat transfer from the master tape. With a Parametric EQ, this version can be worked with quite readily.

Here is one story about 'Lies'

The Knickerbockers were mentored by Jerry Fuller who'd penned several sings for Rick Nelson prior to Jerry being drafted into the U.S. military. Upon his discharge, Fuller, a Texan working out of California, was sent yo New York to run the East Coast office of Challenge Records, the Hollywood based label that employed him. He chanced upon The Knickerbockers in a bar in Albany, New York, In 1965, he and his newly signed band re-located to Los Angeles where The Knickerbockers soon became a popular club attraction. They were essentially a good 'cover' band.

'Lies' was their third 45 on Challenge. Band member Beau Charles later said, "We desperately tried to write something that sounded like the British Invasion'. We wrote 'Lies' in less than on half hour. We demo-ed it in New York." After a Jerry Fuller inspired re-arrangement, the track was recorded at Sunset Sound in West Hollywood with Bruce Botnick as the Engineer. Things were not quite right, so the multi-track master was taken to Leon Russell's house in Hollywood Hills. Jerry Fuller knew Leon and "Leon had this great little studio - just a four track". The band recorded the vocals there and overdubbed a new guitar part that was recorded from a beat up old Fender guitar amp that gave the guitar sound a meaty, edgy feel.

Controversy over the identity of The Beatles soundalikes drew attention and helped stir interest and 'Lies' became an immediate hit.

Your comments and observations are most welcome!

Bob:)

2. billh

billh Senior Member

When this song came out the rumor going around--even on the radio stations if I recall correctly-- was that it was really The Beatles. Maybe they were trying to accomplish that. I ordered this CD directly from Sundazed when it was new and got a nice note from Bob Irwin himself thanking me for my order.

3. Bob Lovely

Hi Bill,

I suspect that 'the rumor' was a bit of marketing hype. I was 14 when this track was released and I remember one of buddies swearing that it was The Beatles....I never bought it - the sound was wrong but, still purchased the 45!

Nice gesture from Bob Irwin!

4. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

Another great song :thumbsup: ...

From Wayne Jancik's book, "One Hit Wonders" ... the group members were Beau Charles (Bergenfield, NJ/guitar), Buddy Randall (Dumont, NJ/sax, vocals), Jimmy Walker (Brooklyn, NY/drums, vocals) and Johnny Charles [Beau's older brother] (Bergenfield, NJ/bass) ... originally called the Supremes, they changed to the Knickerbockers (a street in Randall's home town) when Randall joined the group in '62 ... Randall had been a member of the Royal Teens and co-wrote "Short Shorts" ... they met Fuller at the University Twist Palace in Glenn Falls, NY in the spring of '64 ... their first 2 Challenge singles ... "Bite, Bite Barracuda" and "Jerktown" didn't sell very well [who would have ever guessed it? ... with tiles like those] ... Lies was demoed at the Variety Arts in NY ... Bruce Botnick, who went on to do the Doors, was the engineer on the recording at Sunset Sound ... Beau still had the Fender amp in '98 ... one station played the song for a week w/o identifying the group - listeners thought they were the Beatles ...

5. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Truly a great rock song. We did think it was the Beatles when released. I have the Sundazed 2 cd set which also contains an alt version of the backing track. Nice addition!

mud-:D

6. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

The record sounds uncannily like the Beatles. Perhaps it was just one of those unconscious things that happen.

I never heard the song until the late 80s when I got it on some awful CD comp I don't remember the name of.

I don't know why, but this song reminds me of "Gilligan's Island". I dunno, my mind works weird! Maybe I heard it on the radio while watching an episode of it when I was a kid.

7. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

It's still one of my favorites on Rhino's original Nugget's CD.

You know if this song had been out 4 or 5 years earlier, it would not be too hard to picture The Beatles performing this at the Cavern Club.

8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

One of the coolest singles! Great melody, driving...I have a demo version of "Lies" on one of the Ace comps. The Ace Knickerbockers "Rave Up" has a fine sounding "Lies"...I like the cold ending on The Sundazed 2 Cee Dee Set! Sadly, Buddy Randall passed away a few years back:(

9. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I remeber the review of Rock & Roll Music(The Beatles comp)in Rolling Stone in 1976 mentioning this as a "Beatles" song missing from the song selection!

The best non-Beatles Beatles song ever. Perfect John and Paul impersonations here.

Evan

10. badfingerjoe

badfingerjoe Senior Member

Michael, What Ace comp is that demo on? I have a demo of "Lies" from a Sundazed LP...I did'nt know it was available on CD. I did myself a nice needle drop of the demo..sounds nice...would like to find it from a CD.
    Was a mono mix of "Lies" ever released on a CD?

JF

11. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

One of those songs was "Travelin' Man" which, according to JerryFuller.com, Jerry had written " for Sam Cooke. But when Ricky Nelson's bass player, Joe Osborne, happened to hear it in Cooke's office one day, he quickly played it for Nelson, who recorded it without Fuller's even knowing."

12. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

I've always thought that Lies sounded a little bass shy - but I think that a lot when I hear Bruce Botnick engineered tunes... Sundazed's first cd was a Knick's comp - man, what a revelation it was to find out they cut soooo many cool tunes...

13. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

Bob Irwin should be commended, for the work he has done on the Knickerbockers catalog. There was more to the Knickerbockers than "Lies" that's for sure. If it wasn't for Bob Irwin a lot of this stuff might not of seen the light of day.

I have this LP as well, mine is on blue vinyl, great record. The demo of "Lies" on that LP is great, and great sound. Did I say great enough? :p

Great thread Mr. Lovely, and a good song for you to pick! Keep these coming! :thumbsup:

14. Bob Lovely

Thanks Joe - I appreciate the encouragement!

15. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

But is it STUNNING?

mud-:D

16. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

LOL, Mud! :p

No, it's ultra-rare and STUNNING!! :laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.