Classical "Mega" CD Box Sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dajokr, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Åke Bergvall

Åke Bergvall Forum Resident

2. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

3. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Posted this in the "Listening to Classical Music..." thread and thought I'd post it here as well. I checked the Claudio Arrau Complete Philips Recordings box I got last week to see if it is complete - it is, no duplicate or missing discs or stuff like that - and I'm looking forward to listening to at least parts of it soon, for instance some of his American Decca recordings that are included. The box has the same concept as the excellent Alfred Brendel Complete Philips Recordings box, it is arranged by composer rather than original jackets and I prefer that setup. One thing that's not so great is the packaging of the CDs, it's not so easy to take them out of the tight jackets.

[​IMG]

SteveKn and bigstar87 like this.
  4. deus62

deus62 Mega everything.

Ar the Arrau CDs in double-digipacks or tight double sleeves? I'm asking because often these images are mock-ups or generic images.

5. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Don't know exactly what you mean by "tight double sleeves", but the sleeves are indeed tight.

6. deus62

deus62 Mega everything.

I meant (thin) cardboard sleeves.

7. Martin H

Martin H Forum Resident

Not a reply, but I just wanted to mention that Amazon.es have a few copies of a Discotheque Ideale de L'Opera set (which came out last year, I think) at €35.69 for 25 operas/56 CDs. It's essentially Sony material from RCA & CBS, from the 50s up to around the end of the century. Some standard - and good - recordings of Verdi, Puccini etc, but also rep which is less frequently anthologised, such as Vanessa, Akhenaten, La Donna del Lago and Die Tote Stadt.
    International postage seems reasonable, at least to the UK - at under €5.

8. Michael H

Michael H Forum Resident

Thank you! - have just ordered. It's twice that price on the other Amazon sites.

9. Åke Bergvall

Åke Bergvall Forum Resident

The Discotheque Ideale de L'Opera set is now even cheaper at Amazon.es, only €32.39.

fnord and bluemooze like this.
  10. fnord

fnord Well-Known Member

I like the selection of works in this set. Got both Fricsay boxes and ordered a few things from Hyperion a few days ago, so I think I'm mostly done with classical purchases for the month, else this might have nicely filled a number of holes in my limited opera collection.

11. Michael H

Michael H Forum Resident

Thank you - I've just cancelled my earlier order... and reordered! :)

bluemooze, fnord and SteveKn like this.
  12. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

:righton:

13. George C.

George C. Forum Resident

I don't visit the thread in ages and the 1st 3 box sets I see are Serkin, Szell and Nilsson, all of whom I love! And they aren't cheap either!
    :cussing:

I've got to stay away from this thread

Robur, arley, bluemooze and 2 others like this.
  14. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

The Szell box is still months away, it's scheduled for August 2018. The Serkin box is excellent and I just got the big Arrau Complete Philips box, which I'd also recommend, though I realize that his playing is not to everyone's taste.

hvbias and bigstar87 like this.
  15. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Did the box make you change your opinion on Serkin? Do you mind saying if the Arrau booklet is hardbound or softbound? Thank you.

16. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Yes, it did, I like his playing more than I used to, though it can still be a bit "forceful" at times. The box is a wonderful document.

The Arrau book is softbound, unfortunately.

hvbias likes this.
  17. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I agree, I have always liked his wonderfully lyrical playing, the box let me appreciate him more for the unreleased Beethoven and discs I hadn't heard.

Has anyone seen this program on Rudolf Serkin? TV: Portrait of Rudolf Serkin

18. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

48-disc Martha Argerich boxed set announced: complete Deutsche Grammophon and Philips recordings.

snowman872, Wes H, crispi and 2 others like this.
  19. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Runicen likes this.
  20. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

George P likes this.
  21. David*M

David*M Forum Resident

22. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

That is identical to the set I already have.

I see George P deleted his post, but from from my link above:

"Between 2008 and 2014 Universal Classics reissued nearly all of Martha Argerich’s Deutsche Grammophon recordings in a series of boxed sets, largely according to genre (solo, chamber, duo, concerto, and so forth). There also was a box containing her output for the Philips label and another devoted to her complete recordings with Claudio Abbado. All of this material appears anew in DG’s 48-CD collection Martha Argerich: The Complete Recordings on Deutsche Grammophon, with the addition of the 1977 Stravinsky Les Noces conducted by Leonard Bernstein, the Chopin and Schumann duos with cellist Mstislav Rostropovich, and more recent releases like the Berlin and Cologne Chopin Radio Recordings, the 2014 duo piano recital with Daniel Barenboim, and the 4-disc Lugano Concertos collection. The discs are packaged in original-jacket facsimiles and sequenced in more-or-less chronological order by release date."

There is more info on the contents on the Arkiv site. I do not suggest anyone buy from there though, judging by the price.

Sordel likes this.
  23. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

24. Lije Baley

Lije Baley Forum Resident

I've got this, the Warner box and the Sony boxette. All are wonderful. I had a ticket to see Ms. Argerich and Itzhak Perlman playing at Davies Symphony Hall in San Francisco last Friday. Sadly, Ms. Argerich canceled her North American tour this year for health reasons.

If you don't have the DG box, get it! Remember prices vary widely and wildly at the various European Amazon sites.

Sordel and bluemooze like this.
  25. Lije Baley

Lije Baley Forum Resident

snowman872 and bluemooze like this.