Classical "Mega" CD Box Sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dajokr, Jan 28, 2012.

1. 6138

6138 Forum Resident

bluemooze and RiRiIII like this.
  2. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

I'll save anyone else the trouble of clicking, the sale has ended!

[Edit] No, I didn't buy, as I don't have any interest in this box at any price.

bluemooze likes this.
  3. 6138

6138 Forum Resident

Yes, ten minutes after I posted the message the last one was gone.

4. fnord

fnord Well-Known Member

I don't know if this has been shared already but the Tafelmusik box (47 discs, Sony Classical/Vivarte) is less than 44€ on Amazon.de.

bluemooze likes this.
  5. Octave

Octave Shake Appeal

I am happy to see that the Bernstein SYMPHONY EDITION is back to th 61 Euro price at Amazon DE; apparently that price jump (back up to 95 Euro) was brief. "Back in stock Oct 11." So a reprint, hopefully: Bravo Sony. Chapeau, Henley.

For anyone considering those four little EMI Celibidache boxes, looks like they will be combined into a straight reissue---I haven't compared contents, but the number of discs is the same, save one bonus disc with a 1948 recording of Prokofiev 1:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Sergiu Celibidache: THE MUNICH YEARS (Warner, 49cd, 2 Nov 2018)
    (via Amazon DE, ASIN B07G273SJK)

I like many of these recordings, not just the Bruckner. I recently scored a lightly used copy of the recently OOP dvd/cd set of some more of his Bruckner released by Sony. Also great aside from dodgy video quality.

Moonfish and bluemooze like this.
  6. Walter H

Walter H Santa's Helper

What happened to the Tchaikovsky Romeo & Juliet? It was the coupling for Mussorgsky's Pictures on single CD. Anything else missing?

7. Octave

Octave Shake Appeal

Re: Celibidache/EMI:
    Well I'm bummed, the Tchaikovsky doesn't seem to be in my little FRENCH & RUSSIAN box, either. I see two different previous single discs with what looks like the same Sept 1993 Mussorgsky Pictures, with the Tchaikovsky on one disc, and Ravel's Bolero on the other. A pity to miss it.

Walter, if you know Celibidache's catalog very well, I wonder if there's anything outside that EMI collection that is a must-have, for someone who likes his approach.

Possibly of interest, albeit neither a megabox:

[​IMG]

Messiaen: ORCHESTRAL WORKS (Sylvain Cambreling - SWR-Klassik, 8cd, 2018)
    ASIN B07GGPNXP5
    (Looks like straight reissue of the 2008 set.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Shura Cherkassky: PIANO MASTERPIECES (Hanssler/Profil, 10cd, 2018)

hvbias and bluemooze like this.
  8. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Price alert: half price on the Piatigorsky box at french amazon: 42 EUR (tax incl.)

[​IMG]

ClassicalCD and bigstar87 like this.
  9. Walter H

Walter H Santa's Helper

I'm sure others on this forum are more familiar with Celibidache's recordings, but I would recommend this item:

audite! - Sergiu Celibidache: The Berlin recordings

One attraction of this set is the repertoire that he didn't conduct later in his career. For those who must have physical product, audite offers the 13-CD set for EUR 44.99, but the 24/48 FLAC download comes complete with full documentation and a bonus item at EUR 27.49, a real bargain IMO.

10. fnord

fnord Well-Known Member

The first volume of the Eugen Jochum Deutsche Grammophon complete recordings has being priced at 54€ on amazon.it for a few weeks, quite a good price !
    I bought it together with volume two, being very pleased with the Fricsay boxes I got earlier.

ClassicalCD, bigstar87, Mr. H and 3 others like this.
  11. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

I have and enjoy the Fricsay boxes. I have some Jochum on Lp but not the cd boxes.

12. cartologist

cartologist Just the son of an Iowa girl

I started listening exclusively to classical only four months ago. Superb recordings are so inexpensive compared to pop music... I will admit I have gone a little nuts.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. cartologist

cartologist Just the son of an Iowa girl

14. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

This is great. Centuries of music are here for you to love. I mean pop rock are alright but are really limited only to some decades of human creativity.

RobCos02330, bigstar87 and audiomixer like this.
  15. dr jazz

dr jazz Forum Resident

Never used classic select. Com before but they have free shipping with order over $15 and 30 percent off over $30. Picked up some nice jazz but you classical fans might be interested

aperfecttool likes this.
  16. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Those are very”rational” choices-ha.

bluemooze likes this.
  17. Lije Baley

Lije Baley Forum Resident

Your collection is very much like where I started three years ago.

You may find that you've entered a land of musical potato chips. It is very difficult to eat just one.

Start building new shelves now.

18. Octave

Octave Shake Appeal

Yes, there is zero nuts about that, compared to where the obsession will take you. You could never buy another classical record again and you would have a very, very nice feast of music. If you get really into HIP/early and/or modern/neuemusik, then you are f****. Stop collecting now!

This was surely mentioned a year ago, but it's 20 Euro at Amazon DE (not much of a break compared to Amazon US). Does anyone know these recordings? How interesting are they?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Kurt Masur: EURODISC RECORDINGS (Gewandhaus Leipzig - Sony, 16cd, 2017)

I shortlisted this Schumann cycle once, but I cannot remember the source of the recommendation. IIRC the Bruckner cycle was also issued in Sony's cheapo 'Masters' box series.

bluemooze likes this.
  19. Octave

Octave Shake Appeal

In case there's anyone who doesn't have the classic Kubelik/BRSO Mahler cycle, and wants it, the newest small-box re-edition (UPC 028948356560) being released soon will have a Blu-Ray Audio disc in 24/96. Same with the Kempff/Schubert. I have seen nothing about new remastering, but I didn't hunt very hard.

I am a little bit disappointed that the Blu-Ray wasn't included with the big Kubelik box, as close the release of these two has been. That would have really sweetened the deal. Whatevs!
    I would really like Audite to box up his live Mahler.

bluemooze likes this.
  20. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

Now that I'm more attuned to the world of mega-sets, I'm finding myself more and more disappointed about what isn't available, especially performers with significant tenures with a label. My most recent disappointment has been no Heinz Holliger Philips box (of any size).

MrSka57 likes this.
  21. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

Don't feel bad ... no E. Power Biggs set either.

22. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector Thread Starter

Isaac Stern is the one I'm waiting for...

MrSka57 and bigstar87 like this.
  23. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

Another neglected Columbia artist (you'll probably get yours first).
    I'll continue haunting the thrifts and make a mega-vinyl set.

24. Åke Bergvall

Åke Bergvall Forum Resident

Stern was born in 1920 so perhaps we'll have to wait until 2020?

25. Carlos Bejeeber

Carlos Bejeeber Forum Resident

Looks like a nice set and I'd be interested in hearing about it when you get it ( - - sorry: "if" you get it:)).

I'm thinking about the Venias boxes of Reginald Kell and Dennis Brain -- though the Kell one seems to have a lot of overlap with his smaller box of American Decca recordings, right?

Also, while hunting around at hmv.jp.co, I did pick up three performer sets on the Ars Nova label, including this Mischa Elman one: [​IMG]
    The Elman recordings are mostly but not exclusively from the 1950s, and I would have preferred earlier recordings, but so far I'm very happy with this box anyway. I first listened to a lovely disc of Mozart's Cti numbers 4 and 5, and then a disc of miniatures from the 1940s.

bluemooze likes this.