Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #13)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Jul 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Scratch that. I did get an email. It was in my SPAM folder. :sigh:

2. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

I am feeling like Spain in the World Cup right now. We have a chance on the LvB set, but there seems to be stormy weather ahead.

3. I'm adding a few more classical 'Black Triangles' to my collection, mainly a collectors thing but I wonder if you guys have a view on these early JPN releases?

4. :evil::angel:

5. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

Maybe yours is an import?

I ordered yesterday before posting, yes.

6. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

3 Newbies for me in the mail today....THANX Jay F!! :righton:

[​IMG]..[​IMG]..[​IMG]

7. villicodelirante

villicodelirante Forum Resident

The chick on the first one is one hot mamayama.
    If the recording is half as good, that's a real deal.
    On the other hand, they ripped you off with the third one.
    A Brendel recording without his Cyrano faces on the cover is like strawberries without cream.
    :D

Seriously, how's the first one like?

8. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

Ha! I forgot I had that one when I ordered the Living Stereo SACD of Reiner's version. I guess I might be putting it up for sale in the classifieds, as the Reiner is supposed to be the reference recording.

9. villicodelirante

On the wake of last week's discussion about HvK, I've just listened to a few online samples from his Brandenburg concertos with the BPO.
    I'm not a HIP maniac, especially when it comes to Bach which would still sound great on a toy piano, but gosh, when a conductor makes works from 3+ centuries sound more or less the same, it's suspicious.

10. villicodelirante

Ahem, I might be interested.

It's wholly OT, but who is the chick in your avatar anyway?

11. George P

+1

12. villicodelirante

You know the only thing I am knowledgeable about is pizza, so take this cum grano salis, but after a few complete listens I feel compelled to say I think it's a recording of unspeakable awesomeness, both in terms of performance and sound.

13. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

Some like the 'big orchestra' sound. I'm presently minus a copy but may try hunting down the Linde Consort which was on Virgin or Hanover band on Emi as they have from what I've read more of a 'bloom' in the sound. Can't be doing with wiry strings, sorry.The one to totally avoid is Goerbel with the Koln Musica Antiqua on DG Arkiv as the Allegros are hectic beyond belief.

14. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Speedmetal Baroque is the technical term. Must be heard to be believed. I'm sticking with Savall.

15. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

Heard alright. Ouch! :eek:

16. Now playing

MFCD 865
    Hayden, Concertos For Cellos With Orchestra
    Alexander Rudin and the Lithuanian Chamber Orchestra

17. George P

This illustrates the point I made at the start of this thread. I feel that we should listen for ourselves whenever possible before avoiding anything, for we just might be avoiding our favorite interpretation of a given work. I happen to love the Goebel DG Brandenbergs. In fact, I thought the Brandenburgs were boring prior to hearing this set. I am playing the CD now to ensure my memory is accurate. Yes, these are beautiful, vibrant readings that were wonderfully captured by the DG team. I wasn't even aware that these were performed on historic instruments prior to today, I just thought that they were great readings of these pieces.

That doesn't mean that they are for everyone, as they clearly are not. I just want to underline the importance of individual taste when choosing performances. Enjoyment is what we all seek and I think the effort involved in finding the most enjoyable reading is well worth it. Luckily, we live in an age where we can sample almost any recording we want prior to buying.

18. autodidact

autodidact Forum Resident

19. George P

I wasn't familiar with him either. But I took a suggestion from a friend and loved the performance, sound and yes, the price.

20. villicodelirante

+1.

21. George P

I wasn't either. But I took a suggestion from a friend and loved the performance, sound and yes, the price. Let me know what you think if you decide to get it. :righton:

22. villicodelirante

Mmmhyes, but.

Now that I think of it, it's THE foremost and most widely available classical recordings on CD (I don't know how things are over the pond, but in stores near me DG/Karajan+BPO is often the "standard", for each and every work there's the Karajan that sits nicely on display on the racks and then there's something else tucked away) that share that 'big orchestra' sound...

Could it be that, when you are the Barilla of classical recordings in a world where quite a few people think that "classical music all sounds like violins and trumpets going dum dum dum deeh", you are somewhat supposed to give to the general public consistent and respectful - hence diverse - performances?
    Or it doesn't really matter?

Is the slowly but constantly eating away of DG's market position by Naxos and other labels somehow related to all this?

(Those are open questions not necessarily implying a specific answer, I'd really like to hear your opinion :goodie: )

Cheers :cheers::D

23. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Just started playing Brahms German Requiem (Tomova-Sintov/Leib/Runfunk-Sinfonieorchester/Koch). Germany-Spain 0-1 after one minute in it. :eek: :angel:

24. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Well, you're so very welcome, Jim.

25. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

I'm an addict!!

Well another B&N order made to ship home.
    I stopped in to enjoy their A/C as it's 95F out here!
    I couldn't resist to order 2 more Reference Recordings.
    At $13.50 each....free shipping shipped to my house.....I couldn't fight the urge! :D

Collecting Classical Music CD's is sooooo freak'in addicting!! :angel: :laugh:

[​IMG]..[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.