Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by -Ben, Nov 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I am in the same situation. I can track my CD collection much better since every CD I own is recorded on my computer.

2. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

Thanks George I will get a copy :righton:

3. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

I enjoy this version Stuart. I picked it up based on my great enjoyment of his 4th on EMI. It would be fun to compare.

[​IMG]

4. coopmv

I have Symphony No. 5 with the Royal Scottish Orchestra and Tintner. I have no doubt this HvK Symphony No. 7 has been re-mastered. The sound quality is quite good and I generally agree with the reviews found in the link attached.

http://www.amazon.com/review/produc...cm_cr_acr_txt?_encoding=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

5. coopmv

I have Bruckner 4th by HvK on EMI as well. That is a pretty good recording. I probably should get this 7th on EMI as well. I have the complete Brucker Symphonies by Kurt Masur and Eugene Jochum.

6. coopmv

Kurt Masur Bruckner and the Gewandhaus (it surely beats NYPO) ...

Attached Files:

7. darkmatter

As a whole set to buy, what would be the best overall compromise of SQ and performance?

8. darkmatter

Thanks, just answered my question!!

9. coopmv

The Complete Bruckner Symphonies by HvK is the most expensive set out there. I found the set by Kurt Masur and the Gewandhaus a better overall compromise.

10. coopmv

Now playing: Liszt: Dante Sonata; Six chants polonais de Chopin; Funérailles
    Claudio Arrau

Oh well, this CD is now priced around $50.

Attached Files:

11. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Hey, this morning when I posted this thread was in p. 2, now it is 5 already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have you guys heard Horenstein's Bruckner?

His live recording with the BBC symphony orchestra (Symphony no 9) is really something.

12. coopmv

Here are some works composed by Frederick the Great. These obscure works may not have been released on CD.

Attached Files:

13. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Hollywood Bowl

Now playing while firestorms rage and burning embers fall all over Southern California:
    • Rachmaninov: Piano Concerto No. 2 - Artur Rubinstein with Leopold Stokowski/Hollywood Bowl Symphony Orchestra
      Biddulph 1997, Transfers by Ward Marston, unreleased studio recording from 1945.
    And I will let the disc play out afterward with:
    • Grieg: Piano Concerto - Percy Grainger with Leopold Stokowski/Hollywood Bowl Symphony Orchestra
      Unreleased live air check from the Hollywood Bowl 1945 (with rapturous applause after the first movement). One of the finest performances of this concerto I've heard.

14. coopmv

Wilhelm Furtwangler's Wagners on EMI.

Attached Files:

15. coopmv

HvK and BPO - Mozart and Mahler

Attached Files:

16. coopmv

Karl Bohm and Complete Schubert Symphonies

Attached Files:

17. coopmv

Neville Marriner and the Academy of St Martin in-the-fields with an all-star cast in Bach Brandenburg Concertos ...

Attached Files:

18. coopmv

darkmatter: Here is the LP-set for Neville Marriner and the ASMIF 1976 recording of Handel Messiah under the Argo label.

Attached Files:

19. coopmv

Wilhelm Kempff and Schubert Piano Works

Attached Files:

20. coopmv

I have heard of Horenstein and do not own any of his recordings.

21. coopmv

Now playing: Rachmaninoff For Romance
    Various ensembles

A very delightful CD ...

Attached Files:

22. coopmv

Next: Liebestraum [European Import]
    Various Artists

It is bubble-gum music central ...

Attached Files:

23. drh

drh Talking Machine

Grainger was a Grieg protege, and one of the great sins of omission by the record industry was failing to make a commercial recording of his interpretation of this work. For that matter, he made far fewer recordings than he should have in any literature (although one of my record-collecting friends expresses extreme distaste for his performances on grounds of Grainger's, er, personal peculiarities.) His recording of the Chopin 3d Sonata is far and away my favorite of that work.

Not in the "finest performance" category, but an interesting curiosity: RCA released a recording in totally modern stereo sound of the concerto with Grainger and the Sydney Symphony Orch. under John Hopkins. The kicker: we hear Grainger in the guise of reproducing piano rolls. I've heard plenty of reproducing roll recordings before (and generally have not found them very convincing), but that's the only one I know backed with an orchestra.

Another interesting curiosity, not recorded: Marie Novello, to whom I referred in the first installment of this thread, once publicly performed the Saint-Saens Beethoven Variations for 2 pnos., 4 hands, with a reproducing piano taking the second part.

24. coopmv

I still go to my 1984 edition of Penguin Record Guide for ideas since I have been buying very few recordings that were made after 1990. The reason is simple, there are few new bloods in classical music that excite me. I can always go for new recordings by the tried-and-true artists, the Mutter, Argerich, Brendel, etc. I bought the 3rd Handel Messiah recorded by Colin Davis early this years and this SACD title was released just last year or 2006. Of course, I did not recognize any of the soloists. In all honesty, I was underwhelmed by the singing. I like the 1967 Colin Davis's, his first version much better. This is a clear sign that classical music as a genre is in serious trouble.

25. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

One CD is indicative of an entire genre? I've seen you post cover shots of CDs by Helene Grimaud and Janine Jansen, released well after 1990, so I think I know where your interest is!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.