Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #32)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Dec 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

I think so, he's been recording since at least the 1920s (for Polydor back then.) Of the stuff I own (and I know I don't have it all), I add up 36.

Beethoven stereo - 9 (8 sonatas, 1 shorter works)
    Beethoven mono - 8
    Schubert - 7
    Schumann - Stereo - 4
    Mono DG/Decca (Schumann, Brahms, LvB, etc) - 5
    Bach - 5 (or more?)
    Brahms - stereo - 1
    Chopin - Stereo- Decca - 1

Then all the pre war stuff. Would be great to get all of it on CD.

Here's a link to his discography.

I love this quote from that discography:

2. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

That's a great quote, and it makes me want to go back and listen to that piece again.

It would be phenomenal to have all of Kempff solo in one set, or in any event some huge box of solo Kempff. I would be all over it.

Off tonight to go see La Scala's "Don Giovanni" opening. It is being shown in a local theater. I'm really looking forward to this.

3. George P

Yeah, I plan to do just that later tonight.

I would buy a set of unreleased (on major label CD) stuff, as I already have the other stuff that I want.

Enjoy! :wave:

4. drh

drh Talking Machine

Up for one of my periodic gulps of air; missed the last few pages of the preceding thread, so will eschew matters of substance (if any) until I've had a chance to review them. Meanwhile, if you'll forgive me a "here's what I've been buying" type post: in the past couple or three weeks I've needed to top off some Christmas gift Amazon orders that fell slightly short of the $25 free shipping threshold and added in a few "fulfillment by Amazon" marketplace SACDs as gifts to *myself*. Each was less than $6 shipped (you can save quite a lot if you're not picky about cracked jewel boxes); the Handel disc was nothing that I'd been desperately craving, but Kirkby is dependably lovely and the disc was effectively free, as it cost less than what shipping would have been without it. Was particularly happy to snare the Berlioz, long a back burner item on my want list (Colin Davis seems to be many listeners' "go to" conductor for this composer, but for me it's Munch). Respighi does not usually rank too high on my list of favorites, but I'd never heard (of) either work and thought them worth having as unusual repertory fillers in my library, if for no other reason. As to Ameling, in my experience it's impossible to go wrong with that delightful singer, and Baldwin was an accompanist of the first rank. Now, if only I can find some free time to *play* the silly things.....

Attached Files:

5. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

The Respighi CD is the only one I do not have. The other three are all pretty good IMO ...

6. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

I listen to WinAmp Pro ShoutCast Radio now and then.
    AVRO Baroque Around The Clock
    Venice Classic Radio
    Classical 102

I found I can now get these on my iPhone as well! :righton:

7. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Deutsch Grammophon 136 487.recording director:Wolfgang Lhose.sound engineer:Klaus Scheibe.nice recording from the 60s.

Attached Files:

• 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      51.3 KB
      Views:
  8. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Now playing:
    • Karlowicz: Serenade for String Orchestra, Op. 2 + Concerto for Violin and Orchestra in A major, Op. 8* - Kaja Danczowska*; Antoni Wit / Polish Radio & TV Orchestra, Kraków [Le chant du monde 1993, Sound engineer: Zbigniew Kusiak, Producer: Stanisław Dybowski, A co-production by Le chant du monde and Selene (founded by Dybowski), a great Polish label that now seems to be defunct — I like this recording better than Wit's latest 2011 takes on these works for Naxos with the Warsaw Phil and violinist Ilya Kaler, who is clearly (IMO) not as richly idiomatic and virtuosic as the Polish favorite, Danczowska (check out her early 80's Szymanowski recital with Zimerman for DG) — this CDM disc is, of course, OOP and not reissued and commands a pretty penny]

[​IMG]

9. George P

[​IMG]

First spin of this new (to me) CD. As always, a great transfer from Opus Kura.

10. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Played this last night....

[​IMG]

great sound, good playing but I still like Ashkenazy's version better:hide:

11. Graphyfotoz

This should be interesting!

I recently bought the Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A710 Network AV/Receiver.
    I had initially hooked a wireless Bridge to it to communicate with my router.
    Didn't work for _____! Soooooo today I'm gonna go get a STP Cat 6 network cable...
    drill a small hole next to the baseboard by the PC....
    run it thru the basement and bring it up in the corner of the living room where the Receiver is and hook it direct.

Benefits of this IF it works right:
    I'll be able to access Pandora and Inet radio online for my Classical FM stations and Classical Music.
    Be able to place music from the PC via my receiver.
    Be able to control and setup receiver from my PC.
    Use my Remote APP via my iPhone to control the receiver.

Man I love technology!! :D

12. Graphyfotoz

WOW you should :hide: :laugh:
    Everyone has their likes and dislikes.
    IMHO it's the Best Rachmaninov Preludes out there so far!

I haven't yet found anything by Steven Osborne that wasn't spectacular.

13. Graphyfotoz

Be able to PLAY music from the PC via my receiver. :rolleyes:

On my first cup of coffee! :D

14. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I have a lovely disc of Ameling singing Schubert - "An Die Musik." An early Philips CD. More recently I bought a PentaTone twofer of Ameling singing Haydn's complete songs. I need to give that another listen.

15. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Yeah, Spotify and my Squeezeboxes have really changed my music listening habits more radically than anything I can think of. I don't even think the advent of the CD was as consequential.

Now if I can find an old PlayStation 3 to rip my SACDs, I may never use a disc player again. :)

16. George P

Me too. :agree: No need to hide.

17. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I got scared when I read some reviews on amazon :D

18. John S

John S Forum Resident

Geez, go away for a few days and miss most of thread #31. You guys don't mess around. :);)

Right now:
    Music of the Crusades
    The Early Music Consort of London
    David Munrow
    (1970)

[​IMG]

Considering how primitive musical notation was in the 12th and 13th centuries, I've always wondered how authentic these recreations are. As an Amazon reviewer writes...

19. George P

I'll have to look.

20. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

Wow, was the Karajan 60s box ever really priced at $80 U.S. at Amazon? I just checked, and it's currently listed at $357.

21. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Get it to work right, and you will love it. Have you copied ("ripped") your discs?

22. Tangledupinblue

Tangledupinblue Forum Resident

Would love to hear some of his Schubert. Wasn't he along with Arthur Rubinstein one of the first pianists to really put the Schubert sonatas on the map?

Were any of them recorded during the LP era? I'm not too fussed over sound quality when it comes to older recorded classical/jazz music (I love the early Tatum solos and Ellington masterpieces from the 20s/30s, for instance) but I'm more picky when it comes to classical chamber and especially solo piano music.

23. George P

I think you mean Kempff and Schnabel, but yes.

You'll have no issue with the sound of Kempff's Schubert. They were all recorded in the mid-late 60s.

24. Tangledupinblue

Tangledupinblue Forum Resident

Ah, I stand corrected - those two (Schnabel and Rubinstein) blur together for me for some reason!

25. Graphyfotoz

Yeah I got it now! :righton:
    Radio Venice Classical on my AVR.....PRICELESS!

I rip a CD now and then to carry on my iPhone is all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.