Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #33)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Jan 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

This sounds great, just ordered myself a copy. :cheers:

2. Collector Man

Collector Man Well-Known Member

Now we are talking. Excellent stuff. I also especially love Bax's Symphony No 2 for its very unsettling, brooding mood.
    Another sleeper to show off its fury and what a hi fi can do is Korngold's Symphony in F sharp.

3. Collector Man

Given the planning and logistics faced , even to recreating some authenic musical instruments for the task: it could be said to be the best recorded achievement of the 20th Century.. The sound wizardy Decca used to achieve some of the sound effects ,was ground breaking .I:E The singer Kurt Boehm when he was playing Fafner (transformed into a Dragon in Siegfried) :was placed in a separate sound booth in the Sofiensall with music monitor headphones. His own vocal 'growling contribution' was then sent to one of the big empty ballrooms, played through 20 bass loudspeakers, recaptured now enhanced at the other end and then given a track allotment on the main master tapes. A lot if not all of that Wagner's Ring was recorded pre Dolby. Even at its final completion Decca was only then getting the use of...what are now primitive... 16 track recording machines! I heard from one Decca engineer I know , that part of the 'magic' for the exceptional Decca sound on vinyl was that, without announcement, they got added benefits by quietly cutting at half speed - besides using their famous variable -width groove cutting.

4. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

5. Collector Man

I have the Solti Wagner Ring on vinyl, plus the 3 vinyl disc 'Introduction' I also have a set of the Cycle on CDs I also once had this Ring on cassette tapes which I later gave to a friend.

6. George P

7. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Kapp KCL-9018,mono.i believe this is the only classical recording i have on this label.recorded in the Chapel at M.I.T. on the Holtkamp organ.the Chapel
    was designed by Eero Saarinen,with acoustic design by Bolt,Beranek & Newman

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      43.3 KB
      Views:
  8. George P

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.