Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #35)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Mar 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing the following CD, another recent arrival for a first listen. I have had the LP version forever but have not spun any vinyl in months ...

[​IMG]

2. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

Hey new thread! :wave:

This arrived yesterday, but has not been listened to yet:

[​IMG]

I've heard this M9 on an earlier pressing which was unfortunately marred by odd digital noises (which were apparently corrected for this reissue).

3. coopmv

Now playing CD2 from the following trio, a recent arrival for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

4. Collector Man

Collector Man Well-Known Member

An extremely good pianist. His earlier releases of Debussy'...were very notable indeed.

5. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Angel Digital DS-37337,released 1981.producer:patti Laursen.engineer:
    Robert Norberg.disc mastering:Eugene Thompson.although Norberg has
    been much criticized for his remastering work,the sound on this is very good.
    i find Shchedrin's reworking of Bizet at times impressive,at times goofy-
    but it's fun.

Attached Files:

• 190.jpg
      190.jpg
      File size:
      42 KB
      Views:
  6. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

One of the best readings for me.

7. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

I am playing an old favorite: 'Eine Kleine Nachtmusik' with Bruno Walter in the USA:

[​IMG]

The sensitivity of the man is fully apparent here. What a conductor!

8. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

IIRC, Hogwood used a different version of the Requiem for this recording.?

9. I've only recently developed more of an interest in classical, although I always enjoyed it and was greatly exposed to it via my father's love for it. I worked for Polydor Records in my late teens and was able to pick-up about 30 Deutsche Grammaphon vinyl pressings, but they've mostly rested on the shelf, as I was much more interested in Progressive Rock, Jazz, Blues and R&B.

About a year ago I started picking up some DG's and Angel recordings at Record Fairs and slowly my interest in the genre returned. Then a few weeks ago I got a call from a friend who said that someone had some vinyl to give away. I ended up getting 4 boxsets of Beethoven on DG conducted by Herbert von Karajan, Ferdinand Leitner, Wilhelm Kempff (piano) and the Berlin Philharmonic. I also scored a DG Boxset of HvK with the Berlin Philharmonic of Beethoven's Symphonies. They are all in MINT CONDITION, so I was pretty happy about that. (I have pics if you want)

Being a novice classical music fan I have no favourites (yet), either in terms of conductors, orchestras or composers, but I am a fan of the Cello and Barogue. As such I found my way over to Amazon UK and bought 2 CD's featuring Yo Yo Ma and Janos Starker performing some of Bach's work. I'm really looking forward to how they sound.

I won't say that I'll become as avid of a fan as most of the posters in this running thread, but I hope to learn from you all as I build up a collection.

Thanks!

10. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Delightful chamber music from the great french winds tradition, in a recording featuring the solistes of Orchestre de Paris.

11. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

May I suggest a gander at this?

http://stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=273777&highlight=intro

12. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Listening to Klemperer's recording of the Missa Solemnis. Haven't played it in years.

13. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

True, this is the Maunder version and this is the only cd that I know of that contains it. The most common is Sussmayer's.

14. George P

George P Way Down Now Thread Starter

15. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

Actually the cabbage is starting to speak to me! LOL

16. Beer and Wings are speaking pretty loudly themselves this morning! LOLOLOL

17. coopmv

Now playing CD3, the last CD from the following trio, a recent arrival for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

18. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

The best Sonata #2 on record IMO. :righton:

19. coopmv

Zoltan Kocsis is an excellent pianist IMO ...

20. coopmv

You could be right but I have not looked over the booklet.

21. coopmv

Now playing CD1 from the following set, which arrived back in January for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

This CD is the same as the following CD.

[​IMG]

22. coopmv

Jim, I know you are into early music like me, here is the tracking listing for this CD ...

[​IMG]

23. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Excellent conductor also!:cheers:

24. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Forum Resident

I have yet to hear his work, but I remember the name because a good friend of mine who is a pianist and a huge fan of Bartok's piano music told me that Kocsis is one of only two pianists he's heard who plays Bartok's piano works "correctly." His position is that even the most talented pianists can't get Bartok "right" unless they've pretty much spent their careers working on it. I imagine that others might disagree, but my friend is very discerning, so I expect to be pretty impressed once I get a chance to hear Kocsis.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.