Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #59)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Aug 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I have the first two you mention plus Karajan's recordings for EMI.

2. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Ah yes, they're quite special too, at least the later symphonies - in my opinion.

Robin L likes this.
  3. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I am done with Sibelius ...

4. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Ashkenazy's was the last Sibelius cycle issued on vinyl I believe. I have heard him in concert and his interpretations were fairly close to the recordings. Vahti has an interesting cycle with a great 4 and 6 but like virtually all it has its pluses and minuses. I don't know any cycle that is great for all 7 symphonies. Of course Sibelius had a severe stylistic break between #2 and 3. The EMI late 70s recordings by Karajan were variable but he did do an excellent 4 and 5 for them. His EMI #6 was much poorer IMO than the DG performance. Two other cycles worthy of investigation were done by Maazel on Decca and Rozhdestvensky on Melodiya, both in the 1960s. The Maazel cycle had great sonics on LP but the CD transfer was not very good. The Rozhdestvensky had the usual Russian recording sonics and Russian orchestra idiosyncracies but is very unusual in its intense lyricism. Below is the Symphonies 6 and 7 from that cycle. They were reissued on CD

[​IMG]

5. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Grand music-making beautifully captured by the Philips engineers back in 1984.

[​IMG]

6. coopmv

Now playing the following CD from my Brahms collection. I have a good number of versions of this work but believe this version is among the best if not best ...

[​IMG]

Joe071, ToddBD and bluemooze like this.
  7. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

I like Le Tombeau de Couperin

no.nine, kevinsinnott and Robin L like this.
  8. coopmv

This was a live performance at some cathedral in Bavaria IIRC. I bought the VHS (those were the days) back in the early 90's, shortly after I bought the CD. I don't believe I have ever seen the DVD for this live performance, which was very impressive ...

9. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

Now playing...love this CD...
    [​IMG]

Mr Bass, bluemooze and Joe071 like this.
  10. coopmv

Thanks for sharing and reminding me to give mine a spin ... :winkgrin:

11. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

Funny you should mention this, I just borrowed a friend's Ravel Greatest Hits CD last night. He's not into classical music and has two (2) classical CD's in his collection. I usually avoid compilations like this one, but when I saw the names Ormandy and Bernstein and that is was an early CBS CD release (originally released in 1969) I decided to give it a try. I listened to it twice this morning and must say that it's an excellent album throughout, both sonically and performance-wise. I assume it's safe to say it could be a perfect introduction to Ravel's orchestral music. ;) Just checked the Amazon site, it could be had cheaply.
    [​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  12. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

Now off to spinning these two CD's from my RCA Living Stereo box:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

13. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Why take it out on Chopin? It wasn't his fault that he didn't win. ;)

14. coopmv

Unfortunately, that is the irony in life. The best or the most deserving does not always win in competition ...

15. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Now: Beethoven: Symphony 4 - Herbert von Karajan/Philharmonia Orchestra London - 6 CDs, Warner (EMI recordings); disc 3. This is the remastered set with Karajan's 1951-1955 Beethoven cycle with the Philharmonia Orchestra.

[​IMG]

16. coopmv

Are the Europeans generally into these great hits of classical tunes? I have two or three of these from my real early days of venture into the classical music world. Obviously, I have much disdain for these recordings these days ...

I remember an LP titled 25 World Famous Melodies, which cost me a whopping $1.99 in the mid 70's, started me on a quest to get the full and unabridged versions of all those beautiful tunes. The rest, shall I say, is history. This was how someone who grew up listening to the Beatles and the Rolling Stones get to be a serious classical music listener and collector ...

17. coopmv

This is no doubt the folks at UniversalMusic are seething with anger whenever they see release of Karajan recordings by WarnerMusic as their onetime dream of uniting all Karajan catalogs under one roof was dashed in the name of ensuring competitions in the market place ...

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  18. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Now: Symphony 5 on the same disc. The remastering doesn't sound bad so far :)

bluemooze likes this.
  19. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

I have found an occasional disc of this series at a used CD store and, so far, been impressed. There's a difference between discs where short excerpts are used to tease me to getting the real thing and these. Some of the tracks are movements, of course, but they are always that at the least, or shorter complete pieces. I have to admit sometimes when I have friends over I prefer a more radio-like music bed in the background with its variety of orchestras, soloists and small combos. They're also great loan-out discs for someone who's shown an interest in a composer and looking for a non-overwhelming overview.

Joe071 likes this.
  20. coopmv

Most of these samplers on LP last no more than 2 minutes for obvious reason ...

21. coopmv

I bought the same set a few years ago when it was released by EMI. IIRC, the SQ is not bad ...

22. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

Then I addend my accolade. I would seek out something with some full pieces, or as I said, full movements at least. Too trailer-like for me. Thank you, coopmv.

This one, featuring Debussy's works, has a number of good selections. La Mer is complete.

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  23. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

It's not quite the same set: the new one has 6 discs while the earlier one had 5, the Warner set was newly remastered and has a previously unreleased stereo mix of the 9th.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  24. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Now: Händel: Concerti grossi, Op.3 - Trevor Pinnock/English Concert - 11 CDs, Handel/Pinnock: Complete Orchestral Recordings, Archiv; disc 3

[​IMG]

bluemooze, ToddBD and Joe071 like this.
  25. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.