Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #59)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Aug 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Now: J.S. Bach: Overtures, BWV 1066-1069 - Petra Müllejans/Gottfried von der Goltz/Freiburger Barockorchester - 2 CDs, Harmonia Mundi France

[​IMG]

2. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

No, I wouldn't say so. I think such compilations are mainly intended for non-classical music lovers or casual listeners, irrespective of what their nationality might be.

Since you mentioned the Beatles, something peculiar to Europe, for which I had such disdain btw, was called Stars on 45.:realmad: I really don't know who bought that crap.

3. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

4. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I remember in the wake of "2001" a slew of "Soundtrack" lps, licensed from the same labels as the MGM soundtrack. Amazing number of people turned on to Ligeti by such means.

5. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

Yes, but we're still talking genuine compositions, whether only movements or shorter pieces just as Kevin observed, usually exquisite performances, but Stars on 45 really was a sacrilege, far want of a better word.

kevinsinnott likes this.
  6. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

who produced and engineered it?

7. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

Speaking of mics, this recording is incredible. One mike only. Wonder why nobody makes 'em like that anymore. :confused:

[​IMG]

Btw, does anybody know when was the last mono recording made? I wish Madonna did a mono album, I bet we would soon be having a great mono revival. :D

8. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I don't know. It hasn't been released yet, and DG's site doesn't mention the producer or engineer.

Scott Wheeler likes this.
  9. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Cash-in? Sell-out?:shh:

ToddBD and Joe071 like this.
  10. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

Cash in, all the way.

[​IMG]

drh, Robin L and ToddBD like this.
  11. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

You're right, this is killer good…haven't listened to it in a while, need to pull it out again.

Joe071 likes this.
  12. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

On the turntable…Elgar Introduction and Allegro, Serenade in E minor; RVW Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis, Fantasia on Greensleeves. Sir John Barbirolli, Sinfonia of London and Allegri String Quartet. Great recording, blue label Angel that sounds pretty good!
    [​IMG]

13. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

For some reason his Dvorak 9th is not as great sound-wise.

14. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I can't remember any titles right now, but in my experience not all of Mercury's "Living Presence" recordings (or RCA's "Living Stereo" recordings, for that matter) are sonic marvels.

kevinsinnott and Joe071 like this.
  15. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

John Mellencamp's 'No Better Than This' album, recorded in 2009 & issued in 2010, is mono. It's probably been over 50 years since the last classical mono recording that wasn't taken from a radio broadcast.

Joe071 likes this.
  16. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

Yes, you're absolutely right.

17. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

Thanks for the info, I'll check it out. :righton:

18. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing CD11 - Lieder by Edith Mathis and Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau with Christoph Eschenbach on piano from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  19. HelloPoodle

HelloPoodle Forum Resident

IIRC, Ravel has one of the smallest outputs of any of the big-name composers, so I hesitate to add more recommendations since pretty soon everything of his will have been recommended. But...

If I had to pick one work that seems quintessentially Ravel-ian to me, it would be Valses Nobles et Sentimentale. Ravel often sounds nostalgic, but it's always a kind of modern, piquant nostalgia. For a solo piano work, try Gaspard de la nuit - this is one of the most difficult pieces in the piano literature. Lastly, if you want pure impressionism, try the orchestral suite from Daphnis and Chloe.

Robin L and kevinsinnott like this.
  20. coopmv

Now playing SACD8 - S11 from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

Joe071 and bluemooze like this.
  21. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Now: Beethoven: Piano Sonatas 27, Op.90; 9, Op.14/1; 14, Op.27/2; 28, Op.101 - Annie Fischer - 9 CDs, Beethoven: Complete Piano Sonatas, Hungaroton; disc 5

[​IMG]

Joe071, bluemooze and Robin L like this.
  22. drh

drh Talking Machine

Do you have that on LP, or on CD? In the great War of the Formats, I'm a Neutral, but in this particular case I prefer the LP, because the opening harp has a huge depth that the CD just doesn't capture. At least, didn't on my system when last I played it ages ago.

ToddBD likes this.
  23. coopmv

This is still the most expensive box I have ever purchased in terms of price per disc ...

24. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

And in my case, one of the cheapest. No ifs, ands or buts, the greatest Beethoven Piano Sonata Cycle devoted to discs of any sort.

25. coopmv

Now playing CD28 - works of Johann Joseph Fux from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.