Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #60)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Sep 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Thanks.

2. Collector Man

Collector Man Well-Known Member

The Sir Adrian Boult version on EMI alone -IMHO - besides a few others - would as they say, 'kill the Bohm version'. And yes, I happen to own a copy of the Bohm's 'consciously contrived - languishing' version. Bohm in my book, was a much over-rated conductor, besides - if one looks at his background- was definitely , a somewhat nasty s*#t of a person, around the 'infamous 1940s' period.

geralmar likes this.
  3. Collector Man

Collector Man Well-Known Member

I can remember some of those old Phase Linear and SAE 'noise removers' models -when they were first released for sale & offered in the market place. In addition I remember a professional Hi Fi mag review of one model. Where it stated, if the user wanted to actually hear, what was being 'removed' by a particular setting...the equipment model under review, provided 'reversing' where the user heard the noise/ clicks and any ' possible strains of music'. If the user heard any hint of the latter - "music" , they were advised to cut back on the noise removal setting.

4. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

IIRC, he was originally a lawyer by training ...

5. Mogens

Mogens Forum Resident

I see that they haven't been mentioned in these precincts, so I'd thought I'd recommend my most recent obsession: the Pacifica Quartet's complete cycle of Shostakovich's string quartets on the Cedille label. I'd never heard much more than Kronos' version of No. 8, so these are very new to me. The performance, recording, and liner notes are all great. Also wonderful is Stephen Harris's website on the quartets at quartets.de

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  6. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I'm now listening to: Mozart: Piano Concertos 21, K467; 22, K482 - Murray Perahia/English Chamber Orchestra - 12 CDs, Sony - Murray Perahia Plays Mozart: The Piano Concertos

[​IMG]

7. irwin69

irwin69 Forum Resident

Just listening to this. Full silver version Made in USA which sounds great. Incredibly rich and superb dynamics.
    Does anyone have experience of whether the CDs in the recent Mercury Box collection boxes sound as good as the full silver originals. Obviously the boxes are such great value.

[​IMG]

8. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

Erich Kleiber, unfortunately, didn't had a chance to record a full set. So Böhm - for some mysterious reason - is quite special to me. (My first listenings of Beethoven and Mozart symphonies were usually by Kleiber and to a lesser degree Böhm, I think. And recently I've noticed that most of the stuff I've bought & listened since ain't that fantastic - though some of it really is.)

And yes -

- I was partly kidding. I just find it to be better to write in a light, kinda kidding way, especially when using a "foreign" language (i.e. language that one really doesn't master). I'm afraid my other "tone" would be all too argumentative, or aggressive, without me really really aiming that.

Good for you! Now I know that you loathe both Böhm and von Karajan. Hopefully not only & purely on ethical grounds!

I know neither Böhm's political views nor his life story. I learned quite early that there's no perfect humans - except, perhaps, Mr. Gandhi, or G. Buddha - so I've tried to keep out of picture the dimensions that can be evaluated ethically, if the focus is on aesthetics. But hey, Mr. Kleiber at least left Germany quite early & didn't came back until the NS-state was collapsed. On the other hand, I just visited Russia last weekend, thanks to a visa that's valid for a year, I can cross the border when I want - does that make me a friend of the Soft Totalitarianism? Or am I only a Friend of Vodka? :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
    bluemooze, Mik, kevinsinnott and 4 others like this.
  9. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Böhm

Böhm's Beethoven 6 and 9 are excellent, the other symphonies are, well, let's say not quite my cup of tea. Neither are his Mozart and Schubert. For me he's a representative of the old-style romantic school. Erich Kleiber (not to be confused with his son Carlos) was a great Beethoven conductor. His recordings with the Concertgebouw Orchestra Amsterdam are wonderful - at least to my ears.

Mik likes this.
  10. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I've seen these but haven't heard them. I have the Pacifica Quaret's Eliot Carter quartets and they are very enjoyable.

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  11. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Mine too, used to have Erich Kleiber's Beethoven recordings on Decca's "Richmond" series. Have to say I like Böhm's Mozart a lot and his recording of Beethoven's 'Eroica' is excellent.

12. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

13. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

From what I've read, the only remastering was for the SACDs (and the consensus is they were improvements). Even the redbook layer of the SACDs was not remastered.

Mik likes this.
  14. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I have talked to others about it and looked over the score of the symphony. True, Bohm takes liberties with the tempos (especially in the first and second movements) but most conductors do, including Boult. Boult especially takes liberties with the dynamics in his readings of the symphony. I assume you think the Bohm is contrived and languishes due to the tempos? You have not stated why you do not like it. I like it because it is slower than most readings even if it does stray from the score.
    I have no clue what kind of person Bohm was and I am not sure why you had to post that you don't like the Bohm Pastoral and criticize it in response to my statement that I like it.

PS- If you are going to post "IMHO" at least be humble. Your criticism was far from being humble especially in light of your comments.

Soulpope likes this.
  15. john greenwood

I don't think there is anything wrong with offering a differing opinion as long as it is clear that it is only an opinion. To state it as a matter of fact can be grating. We all do it from time to time, often for emphasis, but discretion in choice of words (or heaven knows even a :)) can make that clear.

16. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Having read the references to Karl Böhm's past I hope we can keep the Nazi years out of this discussion. There were quite a few musicians whose conduct during those years was at least dubious, but that's totally out of place here in my opinion. After all, this is a topic about classical music. Besides, political discussions are not allowed on this board - fortunately :)

kevinsinnott and Rose River Bear like this.
  17. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I agree. I am not sure why he had to mention it. The implications are pretty far reaching IMO considering I stated I like some of Bohm's work. I have no clue what he meant by his statement but now I know. I totally agree with you. This is not the place for mentioning it and especially in response to someone who states they like his work. Like I said, the implications are far reaching IMO.

18. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(CD RCA Living Stereo 09026 68976 2) - two splendid Beethoven Symphony performances, whereby the (IMO) excellent sound of the regular CD reissue doesn`t make me long for an SACD upgrade....

Edit (based on Robin L`s correction) : I presumed this was also reissued as SACD, which seemingly is not the case...

bluemooze and ToddBD like this.
  19. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

There's a SACD upgrade for this? Have owned/listened to these recordings many times but never found them satisfying. There's a powerful, direct reading of the Eroica with these forces, haven't run across a CD but used to own the original LP. Looks like there was a transfer to CD in 1992, Amazon still has a few via third party retailers:

[​IMG]

20. coopmv

Nice bottle ... :righton:

21. coopmv

I don't think I have ever seen any Reiner conducting Beethoven Symphonies with the CSO on SACD ...

22. coopmv

Ordered the following box this morning, as this is one of the few Handel choral works by the AAM/Hogwood I do not have ...

[​IMG]

23. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

24. john greenwood

I do have an XRCD of the 7th.

25. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

I rather like this reading of Shostakovich 10...
    [​IMG]

bluemooze and kevinsinnott like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.