Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #64)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Dec 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Now enjoying some Arrau playing Brahms PC 1. 1964 stereo recording.

Soulpope, Mik and bluemooze like this.
  2. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now on the turntable, "English Music for Consort of the 17th century - Lawes/Byrd/Purcell" performed by the Leonhardt-Consort led by Gustav Leonhardt on Das Alte Werk/Telefunken.

[​IMG]

5-String, Mik and Robin L like this.
  3. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I don't know the answer to your question, but I listened to that two days ago as part of the 60's box.

Six String likes this.
  4. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I'd take a closer look, might be from another country. I had a Tchaikovsky "Pathetique" with Mravinsky/LP with one of those thick covers. Was from the UK.

5. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now on the turntable, sides 13 & 14 "Liszt - Sonetto 104/123 del Petrarca/Ballade No. 2 in B minor/Vallee d'Obermann/Valse oubliee No. 1 in F sharp/Les jeux d'eaux a la Villa d'Este" performed by Claudio Arrau on Philips.

[​IMG]

Mik and EasterEverywhere like this.
  6. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now on the turntable, side 4 from "Mendelssohn Piano Music (Complete) Vol. 1 - Songs Without Words/17 Variations Serieuses in D minor, Op. 51" performed by Rena Kyriakou on Vox.

[​IMG]

7. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now on the turntable, side 6 from "Gregorian Chant" performed by the Benedictine Abbey Munsterschwarzsach on Archiv.

[​IMG]

Mik likes this.
  8. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now on the turntable, "Plainchant & Polyphony from Medieval Germany" performed by Schola Antiqua led by R. John Blackley on Nonesuch.

[​IMG]

Mik, John S and ToddBD like this.
  9. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now on the turntable, side 3 from "Schutz - Sacred and Secular Vocal Works" performed by The Greg Smith Singers from the "A 300th Anniversary Edition 1672-1972" Vol. III Vox box.

[​IMG]

10. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

So many.Autofo Arghenta may be my favorite,but other that are up there are Ansermet,the Munch Societe du Concerts du Conservatoire (French Columbia 78s),his first Living Stereo from 1956,Rene Liebowitz on Westminster,Both of the Monteux,The one with the SFSO on the original shellac,and the Decca/RCA Living Stereo,Andre Cluytens,Beecham,1956 I think,the famous early stereo EMI recording,the mono Mercury with Dorati...

Lenny even did a couple good ones.Need to relisten to Dutoit and

11. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now on the turntable, "Haydn - Symphony No. 104 'London'/Symphony No. 100 'Military'" performed by The Academy Of Ancient Music led by Christopher Hogwood on L'Oiseau-Lyre.

[​IMG]

Mik, Soulpope, ToddBD and 1 other person like this.
  12. EasterEverywhere

The Dorati is my second favorite recording of The Birds,after Desire Defauw and The CSO.

13. EasterEverywhere

Monteux made his first record in 1903 for Pathe as a violinist.It is insanely rare,and can sell well into the four figures.

All of Monteux's recordings in the 78 era that I know of were done for HMV/RCA.The first one in 1929 of Sacre du Printemps.

14. EasterEverywhere

Have enough of live Richter Liszt on Melodiya vinyl to agree with you here.The quality of the tapes must not have been that great from the start.

15. EasterEverywhere

I spin only vinyl and shellac.My main setup now is a restored Thorens TD-135.I do not use a dedicated mono stylus.I have a Shure V-15 Type III,that I switch styli on back and forth between 78 and LP.I have Fisher and Scott tube amps,that have multiple settings.The Scott has stereo and mono record settings.The Fisher has stereo LP,78,and two RIAA settings.Mono LPs sound best on the RIAA1 setting.This type of amp may be te way you'd want to go.

ToddBD and bluemooze like this.
  16. EasterEverywhere

I have a bunch of these.I can tell you these date from the period of around 1962-65,when Deutsche Grammophon was distributed in the US by MGM Record,who printed the covers in the US.

Six String and Walter H like this.
  17. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

:righton: You have been giving your turntable some sersious workout ...

bluemooze likes this.
  18. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I had the original release on LP years ago, but it is long gone. I'm glad to have these performances on CD, now. The Piano Concerto is more poetic and gentle than I recall, but the big moments have sufficient power. I haven't listened to the Violin Concerto, yet. Good sound.

[​IMG]

Mik, ToddBD, bluemooze and 1 other person like this.
  19. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now on the turntable, "Palestrina Masses" performed by The Tallis Scholars on Gimell.

[​IMG]

Mik and john greenwood like this.
  20. coopmv

Another recording we both have except mine is CD. I do not have any Gimell recordings on LP ...

bluemooze likes this.
  21. coopmv

Now playiing SACD3 from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

Mik, J.A.W. and bluemooze like this.
  22. coopmv

This is the version I have but they should be the same recording ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  23. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I'm sure they are. This is the original LP cover. I've always wondered what language they used, as Berman didn't seem to speak English when I met him, and I doubt that Karajan spoke Russian or Berman spoke German!

[​IMG]

Mik, bluemooze and EasterEverywhere like this.
  24. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Ludwig van Beethoven – Complete Piano Sonatas, Vol.VII – No.12 Op.26, No.18 Op.31/3, No.22 Op.54, No.28 Op.101 — Timothy Ehlen (Azica Records)

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  25. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now on the turntable, "Mozart - Piano Concerto No. 27" performed by Murray Perahia with the English Chamber Orchestra on CBS.

[​IMG]

john greenwood, Mik, J.A.W. and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.