Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #64)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Dec 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fafner88

Fafner88 Forum Resident

Yes, but that Brahms cycle doesn't sound so bad, I think it sounds better than his 60's Brahms recordings.

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  2. Fafner88

Fafner88 Forum Resident

Those are deliberate quotes, and they have some kind of meaning in the context of the piece, It's not like Shostakovich had run out of ideas and needed Rossini...

John S likes this.
  3. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Her Shostakovich Preludes and Fugues are also incredible.

[​IMG]

4. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

These musical quotes are a mystery, I don't think that I 've ever read a plausible explanation of why they are there.

5. Fafner88

Fafner88 Forum Resident

Indeed, and Shostakovich himself couldn't explain them either, but calling it "plagiarism" is a misunderstanding of the nature of the piece.

John S likes this.
  6. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I admire Shostakovich greatly but I don't seem to be able to enjoy his 15th symphony. To me, it is a weak and unconvincing work.

7. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

The quote from Wagner is a bit shorter, probably lasting no longer than around 5 seconds. JS Bach also adapted a Vivaldi piece and turned it into an organ work IIRC, though JS Bach clearly gave credit to Vivaldi for his adaptation ...

8. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Of course Puccini quoting our national anthem is a felony. :D

Fafner88 and Robin L like this.
  9. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Thw 1984 HvK/BPO/DGG digital disasters are from Zombieville, everything's on auto-pilot, the sound doesn't help at all.

The 1970's set is not half bad, my remixed CDs of 5, 6 and 9 sound more than good enough. The performance of the Chorale Symphony is particularly strong.

The EMI Philharmonia set is purdy good, has playing almost as good as 1960s Berlin Philharmonic. Sound is not EMI's best, so it ultimately loses on points. The Eroica in the Philharmonia set is a stand-out. But then again, so is the 1960's DGG recording. On top of all that, most of the copies floating around of the Philharmonia set on LPs are reprocessed for stereo—the Philharmonia Eighth was in Stereo, as I recall. In the Philharmonia's favor—this is easily the least mannered set of Beethoven performances from Karajan.

10. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

And Jimi Hendrix' realization of that barroom ditty is a masterstroke of improvisatory musique concrete.

bluemooze likes this.
  11. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Arne - The Masque of Alfred" performed by the Philharmonia Baroque Orchestra and the Philharmonia Chorale led by Nicholas McGegan from the "DHM 50 CD Collection."

[​IMG]

Mik likes this.
  12. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

On the other end of the tempo spectrum, we have Furtwängler's Pastorale recording with the Vienna Philharmonic for EMI, from November of 1952. Yesterday I was in San Luis Obisbo, which means Bo Boo Records, a great store for Classical LP buffs. I managed to get a copy of Unicorn Mono WFS 9, a 1972 transfer of the EMI recording, coupled with the Coriolan Overture from 1947. $3. For $5, got the 4 LP set of music of Anton Weber, Boulez and company on CBS. So far all the LPs are pristine. Also found 2 SACDs for the Frankenstereo, a Jordi Savall Book/Disc combo—Pro-Pacem. Finally, Dire Straits Brothers in Arms, encircling in surround.

I already had a copy of RCA LHMV-1066, the first U.S. issue of the Furtwängler/VPO studio Pastorale. The older disc has yummier sonics, with richer string tone and more body in the lower registers. The Unicorn has betters surfaces but sounds 'dried up' in comparison. However, surfaces are enough better that the newer pressing is probably going to get more time on the Strathclyde.

13. Fafner88

Fafner88 Forum Resident

And don't forget the Japanese anthem!

14. coopmv

I have the 77 cycle on vinyl and in the following box ...

[​IMG]

I grabbed the 84 cycle at an excellent price.

Mik and bluemooze like this.
  15. coopmv

Can you even find a record store in SLO with decent classical music selections? One of my siblings lives in SLO but I have not visited the town in over 15 years ...

16. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Boo Boo is great for LPs of Classical music, only OK for digital Classics.

17. coopmv

Is it anywhere near Higuera St? IIRC, Higuera is a thoroughfare in SLO ...

18. coopmv

19. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

20. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

The next street over, 978 Monterey Street.

21. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Perhaps not quite in the same league as similar works by Corelli or Handel, but they are engaging enough.

[​IMG]

bluemooze, Mik and Soulpope like this.
  22. coopmv

SLO is a nice little town. No wonder my sister moved there over 30 years ago to attend Cal Poly, got her master degree in architecture and decided to stay there. I am doing my best to avoid NYC ...

23. coopmv

I have not bought any music at ArkivMusic in a long time but continue to receive its promotional emails ...

24. coopmv

IIRC, Geminiani might have served as the first violinist in Handel's orchestra ...

bluemooze likes this.
  25. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Now enjoying another listen to this great (and inexpensive) CD.

bluemooze and Mik like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.