Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. drh

drh Talking Machine

Keith Jarrett's recorded Handel, from my recollection of the one time I heard it, was just as dull--but as far as I know he recorded only one issue (a set of the keyboard suites), not release after release after zzzz-inducing release, and at least Jarrett redeems himself with a fine traversal of the Shostakovich Preludes and Fugues.

DeepFloyd11 likes this.
  2. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Forum Resident

Good morning everyone! TGIF... On the TT....:tiphat:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Eigenvector likes this.
  3. DeepFloyd11

Interesting....I must say I have never heard Keith Jarrett's classical interpretations, only his jazz and jazz fusion recordings. My first record was the Koeln Concert back in the 70s, that I got from a good friend of my Mama who was a huge fan and introduced me to his work when I was a young teen...He is OK...but I certainly don't get goosebumps from his interpretations.

4. Eigenvector

Eigenvector Well-Known Member

I'm jealous! I have this on CD but I've been on the lookout for it on LP for years and have never run across it. Oh well, eventually it will turn up!

Enjoy it!

DeepFloyd11 likes this.
  5. George P

George P Forum Pianophile Thread Starter

:agree:

I always say that patience is the most valuable asset to have as a collector.

ToddBD, DeepFloyd11 and Eigenvector like this.
  6. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

I just listened to a box that I missed in 2006. Jean Martinon: Complete Decca Recordings 1951-1960. Lots of London Philharmonic and London Symphony recordings with a few from Paris Conservatoire and Israel Philharmonic. Mostly excellent sound. Kenneth Wilkinson was the engineer on the majority of the recordings. Fairly rare and hard to find.

[​IMG]

crispi and DeepFloyd11 like this.
  7. George P

Those Decca original master sets are wonderful! My first one was the Backhaus Beethoven stereo sonatas.

crispi likes this.
  8. sherrill50

sherrill50 Forum Resident

As I mentioned earlier, I enjoyed Jarrett's recording of the Shostakovich Preludes and Fugues. But, as with his jazz performances, one should choose carefully: I found his Goldbergs (on harpsichord) plodding and mannered.

On a positive note though, do try his recording of Bach's Flute Sonatas, with the always delightful Michaela Petri taking the flute part on recorder. Admittedly, these are not Bach's most challenging works (and a couple perhaps not even by Bach), but the musicianship and performances here are very enjoyable, imho. Recommended!

drh and DeepFloyd11 like this.
  9. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Now, from this excellent set: String Quartets Op.74/1-3; disc 16. Recorded in 1995.

10. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

This recording of the Beethoven Diabelli Variations has become a favorite. It was once mentioned favorably by Robin:shtiphat:.
    Charles Rosen on LP by Symphonica label, 1977, recorded in London. The balance engineer was Michael Sheady.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wes H and Eigenvector like this.
  11. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Now playing, CD 27:
    Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
    – Vesperae solennes de confessore K 339 — Gwynne Howell (bass), Ryland Davies (tenor), Elisabeth Bainbridge (alto), John Constable (organ) – London Symphony Chorus
    – Kyrie in D minor K 341 (368a) — John Constable (organ) – London Symphony Chorus
    – Ave verum corpus in D major K 618 — John Constable (organ) – London Symphony Chorus
    – Exsultate jubilate K 165 (158a) — John Constable (organ) – London Symphony Chorus
    – Zaide K 344 (336b): Ruhe sanft mein holdes Leben
    – Die Zauberflöte K 620: Ach ich fühl's es ist verschwunden
    – Così fan tutte K 588: Ei parte...Per pietà ben mio
    Dame Kiri Te Kanawa (soprano) – London Symphony Orchestra – Sir Colin Davis (Philips)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

12. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying Op. 2, nos 1 and 2. As expected, Arrau is slower than usual in outer movements and brings profound beauty in the slow movements.

hvbias, Mik, Wes H and 1 other person like this.
  13. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Some of you may be surprised to learn that Anthony Burgess, author of A Clockwork Orange, was also a composer, and quite a fine one at that. He writes in a busy, quasi-tonal style that certainly must challenge the players. Very good playing and sound--which does capture a few harsh notes in the heat of the moment.

[​IMG]

14. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

A crushingly intense performance of No.2. Very good sound.

[​IMG]

SteelyTom likes this.
  15. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

True...but I'm not patient enough to learn how to be patient :D

DeepFloyd11 likes this.
  16. George P

:laugh:

17. drh

drh Talking Machine

Wholeheartedly agreed. A lovely disc, and in addition to Petri's contribution Jarrett plays with liveliness, grace, or sensitivity as the music demands. It makes a particularly nice companion in the car when stuck in traffic. It is, by the by, an RCA recording, issued on CD as RCA 09026-61274-2. Note that most of the pieces are transposed from their flute keys to suit Petri's recorders.

sherrill50 likes this.
  18. sherrill50

sherrill50 Forum Resident

As Carrie Fisher said 'The trouble with instant gratification is that it takes too long.' :p

ToddBD, DeepFloyd11 and Wes H like this.
  19. drh

drh Talking Machine

Or perhaps better put this way:

"The trouble with instant gratification is that it takes too long," said Carrie Fisher, Forcefully.

Which brings me to a question that came up a few days ago: why did Arthur Fiedler's recordings not get better treatment from RCA after his passing? I have no definitive answer, but I can speculate on a few things. One is that the Boston Pops latched onto a glamorous figure to replace him in the person of John Williams (composer, not guitarist); when you're pushing the composer of Star Wars music, probably a guy associated with Leroy Anderson and his ilk seems just a bit old fashioned. Second, unless my (proven faulty) memory is, well, faulty, didn't Fiedler jump ship for Philips at the end of his career? Jump ship or get pushed, one of the two? No label ever wants to promote a former member of its roster. Third, while in his prime Fiedler was a real master of "light classical" music, by the end he was doing more and more stuff like Beatles for Big Band, again pretty lame when put up against that new, exciting Star Wars type material. Fourth, but related, one of Arthur Fiedler's stocks-in-trade was orchestral arrangements of popular tunes, and by his end popular music had swerved away from anything that a "pops" orchestra could present without sounding a bit silly.

Just a few thoughts. No authority behind them beyond having mulled over the matter for a while since the question came up. These views reflect the author's opinions only. YMMV. Etc., etc., &c.

ToddBD and Wes H like this.
  20. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

According to Discogs, he did a number of recordings for DGG in the 1970s. I've also heard that the relationship between Fiedler and the musicians became downright toxic near the end of his tenure - they resented having to play what many considered hackneyed and lowbrow material. As I understand it this actually continued to be a problem under Williams, and was only ameliorated when musicians got more choice about whether or not to do Pops concerts. Also, the contemporary orchestral pop hasn't aged well at all - the stuff that's aged best is the light classical and big band type stuff.

In other words, I pretty much agree.

Wes H likes this.
  21. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Now playing, CD 16:
    Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
    – Concerto for Violin No.1 in B flat major K 207
    – Concerto for Violin No.2 in D major K 211
    – Concerto for Violin No.3 in G major K 216
    David Oistrakh (violin) – Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra – David Oistrakh (EMI Classics)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

22. DeepFloyd11

[​IMG]

crispi, alankin1, Wes H and 1 other person like this.
  23. DeepFloyd11

On the TT....:tiphat:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ToddBD, crispi, Wes H and 1 other person like this.
  24. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

In the '70s, I would occasionally watch PBS broadcasts of the Fieldler/Boston Pops concerts... and often wince. The programming was mostly light classics peppered with arrangements of some pop/rock tunes of the day. Cameras would pan down through the audience and you'd see that the seats on the floor in Symphony Hall had been removed and replaced by cafe tables & chairs. Waiters were scurrying between tables, pouring wine, etc. Hard to take any of it seriously.

ubertrout likes this.
  25. oxenholme

oxenholme High Quality Posts™ a speciality

I've had the Ciaccona from Partita BWV 1004 for some time now, played by Yves Rechsteiner on pedal harpsichord. It is quite remarkable.

However, I was wondering about getting a version on solo violin. Can anybody recommend any especially good performances on CD (or SACD or Blu-ray or DVD-Audio)?