Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Looks like the following CD is the only recording by him in my collection, though it is possible I may have some LP's ...

[​IMG]

2. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

In the disc player tonight...Schuman has a very distinctive personal style.
    [​IMG]

crispi, George P, SteelyTom and 2 others like this.
  3. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

np:
    [​IMG]

geralmar likes this.
  4. drh

drh Talking Machine

The Roy Harris "Symphony 1933" (aka "Symphony no. 1") received a recording during the 78 RPM era led by none other than Serge Koussevitzky--as far as I know, his sole outing on the Columbia label. The set ran to 7 sides of 4 12" disks; to fill out the last side, Harris, on the spot, wrote a composition called "Four Minutes and Twenty Seconds" (the typical running time of a single 12" 78 RPM side) scored for flute and string quartet, beating John Cage to the titular punch by a good dozen years or more.

ostrichfarm and ToddBD like this.
  5. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

According to German TV conductor Jeffrey Tate has died. He was 74.

6. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I just received and listened to the Solti Rite of Spring XRCD. On my first listen I am a bit disappointed with the sound of this XRCD. I was expecting a nice warm balanced sound like I get with my Analogue Productions classical discs. However I found the XRCD to be too bright for my liking. Listening to Reiner "Spain" now on Analogue Productions SACD and the sound compared to XRCD is much more warm, pleasant and easy on the ears.

7. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Then you could try the Japan SACD.

SteelyTom and bruce2 like this.
  8. Pickering33

Pickering33 Forum Resident

Sad news.

9. drh

drh Talking Machine

First Bělohlávek and now Tate--not a good week for us, and I hope not an omen.

10. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I'm hearing some staggeringly good piano playing at the Van Cliburn Competition. So far, my favorites are Yury Favorin (he played Beethoven's "Hammerklavier" and Shostakovich's Sonata No.1--I've never heard it played with such ferocity!) and Georgy Tchaidze, who played a very nuanced "Pictures at an Exhibition," among other works. I feel sorry for the judges, one of whom is Marc-Andre Hamelin, in trying to pick a clear-cut winner from such a talented group.

dale 88 likes this.
  11. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

In the disc player today, in memory of Jeffrey Tate:
    [​IMG]

dale 88 likes this.
  12. coopmv

While I have had some idea as to who he was, I have never owned a single recording by him ...

13. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Even though the Kertesz is a recommended recording of the Brahms Serenades, I am very glad to have heard this disc. I wouldn't want to be without it now. Mackerras provides a wonderful interpretation with the exuberant fun of the pieces emphasized. The sound is a bonus.
    Charles Mackerras
    Scottish Chamber Orchestra
    Brahms: Serenades 1 & 2
    Telarc, 1999

[​IMG]

ToddBD likes this.
  14. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Now playing:
    Ludwig van Beethoven
    – Sonata for Piano No.2 in A major Op.2/2
    – Sonata for Piano No.3 in C major Op.2/3
    Alfred Brendel (Brilliant Classics — Vox)

[​IMG]

Eigenvector likes this.
  15. Fillmore Midwest

Fillmore Midwest Forum Resident

Recently picked up a clean copy of this LP. Lovely playing, and nice to see classical repertoire on Capitol (not so common).

[​IMG]

ToddBD, dale 88 and Eigenvector like this.
  16. coopmv

This should be a good recording ...

17. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Great. I gave up trying to find a copy of this Sibelius by Camilla Wicks. Wish they would reissue it.

18. FlexFantastic

FlexFantastic Mechano-Man of the Future!

Digging through my collection, great stuff:
    [​IMG]

19. drh

drh Talking Machine

Also worth seeking out: Sir Adrian Boult led quite lovely accounts of these two scores with the LPO on EMI, and there was a real winner of a no. 1 by the "Symphony of the Air" (post-Toscanini NBCSO) under Leopold Stokowski, reissued years ago by MCA in its bargain "Double Decker" series.

ToddBD and dale 88 like this.
  20. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Recordings made in Stuttgart, 1968, 1971 & 1984. I enjoyed the Gombert & Isaac, but the Brumel Mass seemed to go on forever. Almost 47 minutes of monolithic sound that suggests a static eternity all too well. Bayer Records CD from 1998.

ToddBD likes this.
  21. Fillmore Midwest

Fillmore Midwest Forum Resident

I agree! I'd love to see an audiophile CD reissue; every mention of it I find is laudatory, so I don't know why they would not have put it out (actually I think it did come out briefly on Biddulph or something, but not from the current owners of Capitol). It was $5 in a shop. Nice pressing.

dale 88 likes this.
  22. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Now playing:
    Anton Bruckner – Symphony No.4 in E flat major WAB 104 "Romantic"
    — Kölner Rundfunk-Sinfonie-orchester – Günter Wand (RCA Red Seal / WDR — Sony Classical)

[​IMG]

While I was running some errands, I heard part of a broadcast of a performance of this work by the Philadelphia Orchestra. Pulled this out to hear the piece uninterrupted.

ToddBD likes this.
  23. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

I've been look at that one as well. I'm also listening to the Deutsche Grammophon box (on Youtube). He is older on the latter, of course, but I find his voice quite expressive (perhaps even more so than on the EMI recordings). In this respect, he's similar to Fischer-Diesaku on his later recordings.

24. Citroen

Citroen vinylholic

I just found 5 out of 6 vinyl volumes of these in a junk shop in mint condition, on Melodiya (WRC release), with original line up as per the Chandos CD set. Only NZ$2 each!

Searched hi and low for vol3 (Quartets 4 and 5) but no where to be seen :(

25. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Hi five! :wave: