Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

Listening to some Sadko orchestra excerpts now.

[​IMG]

Bubbamike likes this.
  2. George P

George P Forum Pianophile Thread Starter

@drh - cancel what I said earlier about Say's Beethoven. I gave it another listen tonight and didn't much care for it. The critics absoutely hate it.

3. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I have never read or heard anything positive about Fazil's Beethoven. Never heard it either and don't feel the need.

4. drh

drh Talking Machine

Funny how the reaction to a record can depend on one's mood. I'll bet if you try again another time, when you're in a different frame of mind, you'll have yet another impression of it, maybe better, maybe worse. As for me, I have only a couple of the sonatas with Say, and I haven't played them but maybe once each. They're coupled with his recording of the 3d concerto, and I was very taken with that, particularly--again--with his original cadenza in the first mvt.

While on the subject of pianists, last night I had my first playing of a 78 set I bought a while back out of curiosity, 2 records (4 sides) on American Brunswick, drawn from Polydor masters cut in Berlin in 1930: Schumann's Kinderszenen played Johnny Aubert. I'm sure you've heard of him; the labels assure us he is (or at least was) a "famous Swiss pianist." Well, famous or not, he rode that particular warhorse in a most beautiful way, or at least that was my first-hearing impression. One quirk is that he actually took a little breathing room between each miniature instead of mashing them all together, as so often happens. Kidding aside, ever hear of the guy? A machine-translated German Wikipedia article indicates he actually did have quite an active career as performer and teacher, but as far as I can tell he didn't record much.

Last night's other folly was the set of Variations on a Theme of Beethoven for 2 pianos, 4 hands by Saint-Saens in an Odeon-Parlophon recording, pressed by American Decca under license, performed by George Bertram and Karol Szreter in 1927. As far as I know, theirs was the first recording of the piece, and I think it would have been at the "serious" end of the spectrum for them; I think they were known for things like transcribed Strauss waltzes more than the piano duo heavyweights. Szreter, however, did record solo fare of substance, including an account of the Pathetique sonata that I also have in an American Decca issue, and he recorded as accompanist for Gregor Piatigorsky in such bonbons as a transcription of Tchaikowsky's "None but the Lonely Heart." Pearl did a reissue compilation that includes the Beethoven, a couple of other Beethoven stas., and music of Schumann, Liszt, Grieg, etc. Szreter died early, in 1934 in his mid-30s, a victim of leukemia.

[​IMG]

Matt Richardson, Wes H and crispi like this.
  5. Åke Bergvall

Åke Bergvall Forum Resident

I do too, and have just ordered a whole bunch drawn from the current sale at Jpc at €6 a disc (and even some doubles for the same price): Pentatone Mega-Angebot – alle Super Audio CDs und CDs – jpc.de. There are only a few albums drawn from the Philips Quad recordings, but their more recent recordings are highly regarded as well, and there are quite a few from the DG Quad period.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  6. George P

No, I have not heard of Aubert. Nor have I heard of Szreter. So many pianists, so little time.

7. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I downloaded just the Piano Sonata No.4--very virtuosic and intense. He wrote it for Anne-Marie McDermott.
    [​IMG]

Matt Richardson and scompton like this.
  8. Matt Richardson

Spinning the CD tonight (Manfred). I really like these performances. I just wish they were recorded a bit better.

[​IMG]

Eigenvector and George P like this.
  9. lwh1

lwh1 Forum Resident

Vivaldi "Concerti Da Camera"
    Michala Petri, Heinz Holliger, Felix Ayo et. al.

2 CD set on Philips 411 356-2 released 1984

10. Matt Richardson

I've been listening to this set on this Saturday afternoon. I love these performances. I find a degree of sparkle and charm in them that I don't quite hear in the famous records that Boskovsky made with the VPO for Decca -as good as those are. These are very well recorded too.

[​IMG]upload image online

crispi and Wes H like this.
  11. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Beautiful playing, sound, and music. I think I prefer Britten's "Nocturnal" on guitar even though his first thought was to write it for the lute. Still, Lindberg plays it wonderfully, and it must be terribly difficult on the lute.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

12. 6138

6138 Well-Known Member

Hi guys,
    Do you have this one?
    What do you think?
    Do you recommend it?
    [​IMG]

Matt Richardson and crispi like this.
  13. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

14. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying quartets 2, 4 and 6 from the above set.

15. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Which one did you hear? This one has generally gotten good reviews, although many say they wouldn't recommend it as a first choice since the playing is so intense. I own it and like it.

[​IMG]

Matt Richardson likes this.
  16. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

Do you have any of the other DHM boxes? If so there is going to be overlap. You'll want to check carefully for duplication. But the DHM recordings are generally very good.

17. 6138

6138 Well-Known Member

No, I don't have any of the other smaller boxes. I have some DHM albums on MP3, but not many and of course a lot of duplication in the music, but with different versions. So far my experience with DHM was very good.

Bubbamike likes this.
  18. drh

drh Talking Machine

That's the one, and, to quote a sage listener from somewhere or other ;), "I own it and like it."

Bachtoven likes this.
  19. George P

Indeed, not a first choice, but when the mood is right, it works well. I have this CD:

[​IMG]

From this 3CD box set:

[​IMG]

20. George P

A few years back, I had a chance to compare a number of different transfers of those legendary performances; Naxos, Pearl and Opus Kura. I preferred the latter by a good margin, so I tracked it down. I would say of all of my historical CDs, this is near the top in terms of wringing every last drop of nuance from an old 78.

[​IMG]

crispi and Baroque like this.
  21. George P

hvbias likes this.
  22. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I listened to samples of this on Amazon and really like it, think I might order this SACD. I don't have much classical guitar or lute music in my collection, only about half a dozen discs, but I really enjoy what I have. Have you heard Lindbergs previous album to this, of German and French baroque music? That one looks good too and wonder which one I should get first. Also I wonder if he plays the same instrument on both discs, a lute by Sixtus Rauwolf. (Also the title of his prior album).

23. hvbias

hvbias Forum Resident

Thanks George, this is one of a few packages I am waiting for from Zoverstocks (UK) for over a month :sigh:

I absolutely loved the Mazurkas on that needle drop, a very unique and interesting take to say the least. Op. 67 No. 4 was in particular I adored.

George P likes this.
  24. hvbias

hvbias Forum Resident

This is the Fazil Say set I would not want to be without:

[​IMG]

George P likes this.
  25. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

No, I haven't heard those, but I bet they are superb. The instruments (he plays two) on "Nocturnal" are made by Michael Lowe.

bruce2 likes this.