Clearaudio Concept or VPI Scout 1.1...?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by VinBob, Aug 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VinBob

VinBob Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello All,

Looking to get some advice from people who have used wither one of these turntables - I am considering one of these as they are both around my price point and I have heard great things about them both. I am looking for something that is solid and going to last years in providing top music entertainments. Can one improve on either of these via upgrades/tweak to get even more down the road?

I would look to put a better cartridge on the Concept TT and am considering the Dynavector 10x5 or the Ortofon 2M Bronze. I would consider either one of these for the Scout also, which does not come with a cartridge. My hesitancy on the Dynavector, is the low output of 2.5mv which would mean having to really crank up my Naim NAC72 pre-amp to get decent volume - this is based on an Ortofon X3-MC cartridge I have used in the past with similar voltage output.

I have heard that the VPI hums but can be eliminated with phono cable which has a ground wire. Does this sound correct and if so, any reason why VPI would not provide such a cable?! I believe Clearaudio does which I guess is a plus point right away!

I want something that is very easy to setup and provide great sound across all different types of musical styles from Heavy Metal to smooth Jazz. A shame that neither one comes with a dust cover like my previous TT did, but I can live with that for now...

Thanks for the thoughts/advice in advance!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  2. uphoria6

uphoria6 Senior Member

I have a Scoutmaster 2 and it did have a bit of a hum until I ran a grounding wire from the table to the ground connector on my amp and it has been dead quiet ever since. I went from a Rega P3-24 to the Scoutmaster and will never look back. It is my lifetime table. That said, I have a friend who has had a Clearaudio Concept for years with a Benz cart that he loves too. I don't think you can go wrong either way. My Scoutmaster is paired with a Clearaudio Maestro MM. It can handle anything I throw at it.

Tommyboy likes this.
  3. VinBob

The Scoutmaster 2 is a nice table indeed, but a little above my price point!!! :)

Yes, I am really torn between the two turntables, but I like the idea that VPI is a little over an hour drive from me, so I will have no problems with support in the future. I also have had a couple of endorsements preferring the VPI over the Clearaudio as it seems to be better with bass and sound staging. So I will pay a little more and go with the VPI - unless someone can convince me otherwise! ;)

Just to add, why the heck don't VPI provide RCA cables with their TT just like every other company?!?! Clearaudio actually provide a nice cable with the ground wire!!!

I have a good set of RCA interconnects I can use, but anyone know where I can get a good ground wire with the proper ends for connection?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  4. Scout1.1

Scout1.1 Forum Resident

The ground wire is easy just get a piece of 18ga speaker wire, cut to desired length, and connect to the ground lug on the table and amp.

uphoria6 and utahusker like this.
  5. Darren Lewinski

Darren Lewinski Member

or you can go down to your local Home Depot store and have them cut you one at your preferred length in the electrical aisle.....:righton:

6. thesisinbold

thesisinbold Forum Resident

Hi there. I've had a Concept for about about two weeks. I love this thing, so I'm here to suggest it!

I don't think you'd need to go for the Bronze as opposed to the Clearaudio MM that is available for an extra 200 bucks.

There's an 600 dollar difference between the tables. I can't imagine myself wanting to pay an extra 800 for the scout. I'd rather take that difference and buy records.

7. VinBob

Thanks - I actually found one already made for $5.99 - cheaper than buying the parts and the time involved in making them and ending up with extra parts I won't need - all good! ;)

8. uphoria6

uphoria6 Senior Member

The Scoutmaster 2 was above my price point too but I lucked into a deal situation which shaved about 900 dollars off the price and the Rega trade in helped too so I bit. I went VPI because I wanted a fuller sound than the Rega was offering and the VPI offered that in spades. I wouldn't obsess over the "hum issue" because you may not have one and the fix is easy as others have already suggested. LOL..truthfully, you are in a great position because no matter which route you go you would have a wonderful table.

9. VinBob

Yes, I would think that if there is a hum with the VPI, its simple, you just add the ground wire and you are done! :)

10. VinBob

BTW, any other comments/thoughts on these two great TT's in helping me make my mind up...?! I am leaning heavily towards the VPI as although it is more expensive, you definitely get your $$ worth from everything I have read, especially with the excellent support and being local to me in New Jersey!

The only thing that worries me, is some of the comments regarding the VPI being difficult to setup etc. but once you do, it is truly amazing and especially with a good cartridge.

The ClearAudio I am sure would benefit heavily from a good cartridge upgrade such as a Dynavector 10x5 or Ortofon Bronze which are the two I am looking at, but from feedback I have received from a couple of dealers, the Scout is the way to go...

11. Scout1.1

Scout1.1 Forum Resident

The setup of my scout was much easier than I expected.

12. VinBob

Thanks. I ended up going with the Scout in the end. Granted it cost a little more than the Clearaudio Concept which was right up there with my choice but in the end, I went with something that looks a little more solid, has an extra year warranty and if I run into issues, VPI are amazing to deal with and I can also drive to them if need be as I live in NJ! :)

I ended up matching with a Dynavector 10x5 and am really excited again - hoping this will be the working turntable I have been after for the past month with all my Rega issues, and can finally play some tunes over the weekend!

Just out of curiosity and not something I am loping into right now, but are there any key upgrades/improvements one can make to the Scout 1.1 down the road? I know there is a motor upgrade and platter to a classic which the latter, is a little too expensive for what it probably brings. There are also the feet but again, I would question how much of a difference those will really make given their price.

I do however need a dustcover - not sure about the VPI one as it doesn't fully cover the TT - any other thoughts on those?

ellingtonic likes this.
  13. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

Your Scout needs no other upgrades.

14. Subvet

Subvet Forum Resident

I bought my Scout's Gingko dust cover from MusicDirect.com.

15. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

There's one on agon with cover and cart for 1500 if you didn't get it yet.

Since your buying new I would carefully go over the table and if you have problems with sound I'd go back to your dealer immediately. Hopefully you bought local. Are you setting up the cart yourself on it?

16. VinBob

Hi and thanks for the recommendation. I have already purchased although the dealer is not local, I should be able to get things addressed via VPI as they are local to me. They were able to kindly install the cartridge on for me.

I don't have it up and running yet to test the sound, but the one question I do have, is which is the new tonearm on the latest Scout 1.1 as its very confusing to me. I received one where the tonearm is a combination of the silver and black finish - I was under the impression that the new arm is the all silver finish and being the new '9T' version - is this correct, or do I actually have the newer version? It seems to show the silver and black on the VPI site, but I am seeing more references to the all silver arm when it comes to Google!!!

Would appreciate any feedback on this...Thanks!

17. VinBob

Thanks - I had seen this one, but looking for a cheaper option if possible... VPI makes one which is a good price, but doesn't cover everything fully - I guess you get what you pay for..?! :)

18. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

We'll my friend, I don't believe they really keep their pictures up to date. Plus is seems like since Harry turned the reigns over to his son they have been implementing changes to their product line to save manufacturing cost and increase production.

I know there was a change to the mounting of my arm to the plinth from the original table I bought which needed to be replaced, which I personally don't feel looks as good as the original mounting. I first noticed this on the table steve received from them, then on my replacement. Also changes cheapening the mw cleaner from metal to mdf for the body.

If you are concerned I would call your dealer and ask them about it. Or call vpi and ask them.

Be sure to post back whatever you hear.

19. VinBob

Well, I am a little concerned as I thought I was getting a tonearm that looked like something that had been designed and built more recently, only to get the one that looks like something that was made in the 70's!! lol - If you go to the VPI website, it does show the arm with the black and silver finish although I assumed this was the old version...

I guess I will call them to confirm on Monday and report back - but if anyone has a current Scout 1.1, I would love to hear their feedback in terms of what was provided...

20. VinBob

Just to confirm back - the arm has indeed changed to the one shown on the VPI site for both the Scout 1.1 and 2.0 - It seems very well constructed and I am actually liking it a lot - it is supposed to be better made (better materials used) than the previous all silver JMW-9T and sounds better which my dealer also confirmed from his own listening tests when he setup my table. Of course, I will never know for myself as I will never be able to perform an a/b test, but I can't believe its any worse than it was and its not as if I can purchase it with the older tonearm anyhow even if I wanted!!!

So bottom line, I am happy with what I have and will now finally start enjoying the tunes again... :pineapple:

21. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

Congrats on your new Scout! I was under the impression that the Black portion of the new tone arm was a form of "dampening", a type of coating or a heat shrink material. I could be wrong but it "sounds" like it's performing well!

Enjoy your new table!

22. JBrahms

JBrahms New Member

You're going to love the Scout. I've had a VPI table for a long time and it has never let me down. Also, the Dynavector cart is a synergistic match for the VPI tables, per VPI and per my own listening (I own the 20x).
    Happy listening

23. uphoria6

uphoria6 Senior Member

LOL...Upgrade your couch because your a$s is going to be on it more than ever spinning those black circles....:D

mreeter likes this.
  24. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

I am BlackCircle and as a VIP Scout SE owner I approve this message :righton:

I ended up choosing the 2M Bronze and love it, but it was a coin flip between that and the Dynavector.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.