Cliff Richard - Back from the Wilderness Singles and Albums 1975 - 1995

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jarleboy, Sep 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love Thread Starter

You went out on a high note. "A lady always knows when to leave," Cicely Tyson says in "Fried Green Tomatoes". Not implying that you´re a lady, but you´re certainly a gentleman.

On a different note: What about Cliff and Olvia doing a joint album of country songs? I would love to hear them cover the Deborah Allen version of "Blame It On Your Heart". It´s not on YouTube, but the film version featuring River Phoenix and Samantha Mathis is up there. "Standing On a Rock" by Rodney Crowell from the same film - "Thing Called Love" would also be great. That´s real country. :agree:

Bobby Morrow and mark ab like this.
  2. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Well, it would be better than anything either of them are doing at the minute.:D

I think they're both stuck in their own particular ruts, so I doubt there's much chance. A duets album is something they should have done years ago.

Jarleboy and mark ab like this.
  3. mark ab

mark ab Forum Resident

Very good songs and the film is underrated in my opinion.
    Since the likes of McCartney and Van Morrison speak highly of him and Elton John had always been a fan it'd be good if he maybe did an album of their songs, loads to choose from and they'd all probably contribute new material if he asked them.

Jarleboy and Bobby Morrow like this.
  4. Jarleboy

Single No. 65: 1975 November 14 — UK — EMI EMI 2376
    A-side: "MISS YOU NIGHTS" (Written by Dave Townsend)
    B-side: "LOVE ENOUGH" (Written by More)
    A-side arranged by Andrew Powell, produced by Bruce Welch, B-side arranged by Wil Malone and produced by Marvin, Welch & Farrar)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In a modest moment, Cliff was asked what his place in popular music would be. He didn´t mention his role in the early days of rock´n´roll, of which he can be justifiably proud, but he simply said: "When I´m gone, I think I shall be remembered for three songs. The obvious ones are "Move It", my first hit, and "We Don´t Talk Anymore", my biggest selling single. The third song will most likely be "Miss You Nights".

I think he is probably right, but I would add a few more titles. Even so, those three titles stand out. For many reasons.

"Miss You Nights" was written by Dave Townsend, who is known through his work with the Alan Parsons Project, where he was an occasional vocalist. He was recording a solo album for Island Records, but the project was shelved. Bruce Welch got a chance to look through the songs intended for the album, and he knew he had a potential hit on his hands when he found "Miss You Nights". Andrew Powell arranged the track, and Tony Rivers and his vocal Group sprinkled their fairy dust over the recording. With Cliff adding one of his most heartfelt performances, something magical was happening.

According to the information I gathered, the single was released in November of 1975, but it didn´t enter the Top Twenty until February of 1976. It reached No. 15. So, not a smash hit, but nevertheless, its impact was huge. Cliff was back! ("Miss You Night" would be re-released as a double A-side, coupled with the live duet "All I Have to Do Is Dream" with Phil Everly in 1994, and it did one better then - No. 14.)

The lovely "Miss You Night". (Official video.)

NB! Back with the B-side later.

5. Bobby Morrow

What a fantastic single. Not really an obvious one either. There's no chorus for starters. Still, if there's one song that shows how Cliff can interpret a song and make it his own, it's this one. It's been covered many times since, of course, but I doubt Cliff's version will ever be beaten. Art Garfunkel had a stab at it on his Fate For Breakfast album, for example. Now, Art's no slouch as a singer himself. He really should have nailed it. However, his take on the song is really poor and misses the boat altogether. Marie Osmond also sang it on her This Is The Way That I Feel album in 1977. It has a nice Olivia-ish vocal, but for some reason Marie felt the need to change the majority of the words, ruining the song in the process! I still don't know why the lyrics were changed... It's not a suggestive at all, is it?

Back to Cliff, the warmth of his voice and the double-tracking used make Miss You Nights a speciality. It's as perfect a record as he ever made. Peaking at #15 seems ridiculous. It should have been a top 3 single at least. Cliff and Olivia often recorded the same songs around this time and I always thought it would have suited her 'young' voice. I doubt she would have topped Cliff's rendition, though.

Love these old EMI labels and sleeves, BTW.

NB. I don't know the B-side.

6. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

It really is a beautiful song and a great single.
    It might not have gone top 10 but that didn't really matter, it was a real slow burner in the charts and got tons of radio play over a longer period than if it had been an instant hit. This was important because up until this point Cliff had not had a big hit single for a while
    Miss You Nights was the perfect return for Cliff and it doesn't surprise me that its still so well loved, it has a timeless quality about it that will never date.
    Also because it was a gentle ballad we were spared the 'Cliff dance' when he performed it on TOTP. :D

goodiesguy, Rick H., Jarleboy and 2 others like this.
  7. Bobby Morrow

It's true we weren't treated to any of Cliff's trademark moves on Miss You Nights...

But he saved them up for the next single, Devil Woman.:D

8. mark ab

mark ab Forum Resident

I see the b-side was written by Tim Moore who I know only because Art Garfunkel did one of his songs. Second Avenue. Think it must have been a standalone single because I don't remember it on any if his studio albums.

9. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

Sorta' similar to Elvis' "If I Can Dream" from his 1968 comeback special - it only got as high as #12, but (to quote a past-tense of a 1960 album title) Elvis was back - and a precursor to a long run of hits through 1972. Some felt "If I Can Dream" should have likewise charted higher . . .

goodiesguy, Jarleboy, bob60 and 2 others like this.
  10. Rigsby

Rigsby Forum Resident

Agreed on all counts - I made a comment in the McCartney thread about Let 'Em In that it wasn't necessarily a great song but that production warmth just carries you along, it's a mid 70s comfort blanket and this song is the same. I don't know the B-Side either curious at the Will Malone arrangement credit though, I may check it out.

11. Bobby Morrow

I'm surprised Love Enough wasn't included as a bonus track on the I'm Nearly Famous CD..

12. Jarleboy

It was. There are rumours Art himself blocked the inclusion of the track, even on compilations. Just a rumour - might not be true.

mark ab and Bobby Morrow like this.
  13. Jarleboy

It was included on the "I´m Nearly Famous" remaster, though some editions list the song as "Love Is Enough".

mark ab likes this.
  14. Jarleboy

The B-side of "Miss You Nights" was "Love Enough", a syrupy ballad that is also plagued by a very muddy recording. I have owned the track on single, LP, CD and remastered CD, and they all sound muddy and dull. ("A Thousand Conversations" has some of the same problems.) It really doesn´t matter, as the song has all the flaws that the A-side so brilliantly avoids. "Miss You Nights" has brilliant lyrics, a lovely melody, a rousing arrangement that is just the right side of pompous. A classic. "Love Enough" is simple - simple enough to be boring, and the lyrics are cliche after cliche. Cliff´s voice is the saving grace - and here it´s not really enough. Just my opinion, of course.

Here is the wretched song: (Just kidding.)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
    mark ab and Bobby Morrow like this.
  15. MadamAdam

MadamAdam Forum Resident

Yes he is, and yes they did... even before the colostomy bag.

RonBaker and Jarleboy like this.
  16. Jarleboy

Again - I agree with just about everything you wrote. "Miss You Nights" is one of the few Cliff songs that click all the right boxes. It´s pure class in all departments. Add Cliff´s voice and his warmth to the mix, and what you´ve got is a timeless classic. (And this was before Cliff started overdoing the vibrato, so it isn´t even marred by that.)

Yes, so many people have covered the song. I think Art Garfunkel acquits himself quite well, but he can´t top Cliff. Worse are versions by Westlife, Roger Whittaker and - wait for it - The Nolans. None of them kills the song, but Cliff owns it. Pure and simple.

17. Bobby Morrow

There's me banging on about how good the I'm Nearly Famous CD is yet totally not remembering that this song is on it.:D

In my defence, it's listed as Love IS Enough on the CD.:D

I actually quite like this one. It's a bit bland, but as usual his voice carries the song.

Can't believe I thought I didn't know this one. I will listen to The Millennium Prayer 20 times as penance.:D

18. mark ab

mark ab Forum Resident

Fate For Breakfast is not one of my AG albums so I've not heard his version in a while. From memory the arrangement is very similar to Cliff's? Then again that type of piano ballad that builds probably has to be done a certain way for full effect.

19. Bobby Morrow

I forgot Westlife and the Nolans did it. What's that poor song ever done to them?:D

mark ab likes this.
  20. mark ab

mark ab Forum Resident

I'm sure I remember him saying that he was amazed no one had thought of combining the two elements in The Millemium Prayer until he did it. Said something about it being a brilliant idea!

Bobby Morrow and Jarleboy like this.
  21. Jarleboy

Nah, way too heavy penance! :laugh:
    Glad you liked it. I don´t hate it, but it is one of the blandest songs he ever recorded. And there is quite a list of bland songs recorded by Cliff. :agree:

22. Jarleboy

Deluded much? He, he. If he likes it, that´s fine. As long as I don´t have to listen to it. :laugh:

23. Jarleboy

To be honest, I haven´t actually heard the Westlife version. I just went on instinct. I know, that´s unfair. For all I know, it could be brilliant.

But I doubt it.

The Nolans version is just what you expect. And then some... Not really awful, but I avoid it because I can. :shh:

mark ab likes this.
  24. Jarleboy

If you were referring to the Movie "Thing Called Love", I agree completely. The film has its flaws, and most of them are caused by my favourite River Phoenix. Not his shining moment. Still, there are moments in the film that are so real that I love it. The music is great, and it really shows that country is so much more than "Stand By Your Man" and "Achy Breaky Heart". (Though I love the former.)

25. mark ab

mark ab Forum Resident

I agree. Phoenix quite difficult to watch in this one and I've never been sure if it was deliberate acting or unfortunate personal problems. Since he was usually brilliant I fear it was the latter.

Bobby Morrow and Jarleboy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.