Co-worker Made Fun of Audiophilia

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nbakid2000, Mar 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Yeah its too bad we need to worry about a-holes like that.

Make a joke about my setup? Im gonna spit in his coffee.
    I wonder if he would do it in front of the guy, or wait for him to leave.

WTF is wrong with people.

Sneaky Pete, Jackson, Shawn and 2 others like this.
  2. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Where I used to work in Virginia, our mailroom guy had the best system in the building. High end tape deck, vintage Pioneer receiver, 6 disc cd changer (ok, that may not have been high end) and there was always good tunes coming out of his large speakers in there!

I went to a party recently and the host had one of those bluetooth all-in-one disco ball music systems, with iPhone and Pandora supplying the 70s dance music. It sounded fine for what it was and the setting (people visiting, some dancing, etc).

3. fuse999

fuse999 Forum Resident

I think the coworkers were making fun of anal audiophilia. It seems to be an epidemic.

Disraeli Gears and Dudley Morris like this.
  4. Do you assemble and disassemble your system every day, and clutter up half your desk with it? That's the real mockable behaviour here. (See the above post for further substantiation.) If the OP set up a discreet system in his workspace and just left it installed I doubt anyone would say anything, and indeed some might think it cool. Although I'd still think it a bit much for headphone listening in a work environment.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
    Use_Your_Koala and Buff Terror like this.
  5. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

Does this have anything to do with where my boss told me to stick my headphones?

fuse999 likes this.
  6. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

When do you set it all up and break it all down?
    On your time or company time?

noname74 likes this.
  7. LSP

LSP Well-Known Member

Not in my car.

jkoponen, Diamond Dog and Gary like this.
  8. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Yes..."Normal".

9. clayton

clayton Senior Member

LMAO, I'm thinking about the movie High Fidelity and the snobbery of those record store clerks. nothing wrong with wanting the best sound but why look down your nose at those that don't care as much about it.

10. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I distinctly remember being laughed at around 98/99 when my office switched to a mostly cubicle setup and I brought in some over-the-ear Sony cans with a discman to help drown out my office mates, several of who were quite loud on the phone all day long.

Fast forward 10 years and Beats made this look hip and cool!

nbakid2000 likes this.
  11. Peter Pyle

Peter Pyle Forum Resident

If they're normal, then I'll stay eccentric then.

jkoponen likes this.
  12. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

People make fun of of others who: read ingredient labels, avoid certain products or foods, detail their cars or bikes, dust/vacuum their abodes, read history / news / fiction, wear this or that brand or style clothing, set up audiophile quality laptop listening....the list is rather endless.

Situation normal. Humor or ignore them!

13. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

No. What the OP is doing is eccentric.....listening to a Portable CD player (aka CD Walkman) in 2015 is taking it to a ho notha level.

14. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

Do you place your laptop on isolation cones? If not, you're really missing out. Plus, I bet that'd really tweak your peers at work.

15. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

That is the only important thing here, is the employer paying the OP for the time required to set up audiophile heaven in an office/cubicle?

Use_Your_Koala and noname74 like this.
  16. Peter Pyle

Peter Pyle Forum Resident

I'm sorry...please speak English. I don't understand what you're trying to say.

Try again, bud! :D:D:D

17. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

Stan Freberg Looks at Audiophiles 1956
    From a 1956 radio show. The audio equipment may be different these days, but the conversations aren't.

18. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

In all fairness, I don't know one person besides myself that knows what we do here. I kind of like that. It's like the Knights Templar. Anyone up for a Holy Grail quest? :)

agentalbert likes this.
  19. Doctor A

Doctor A Well-Known Member

I have an old Macbook, a Geek-Out DAC, 6 hard drives with mostly hi-resolution music, and BMW M-1's on my desk and everybody else has requests that I try to fill at times. Everybody seems to be happy that that system is present.

cc-- likes this.
  20. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

LOL! That woulcd be awesome! And run the laptop with a DC cable attached to a power conditioner!

Dudley Morris likes this.
  21. mongo

mongo Senior Member

Wow, all of a sudden certain people are "the boss of you".
    As someone else posted listening to music is highly job dependent.
    So saying that "I would never be allowed to listen to music at work", is a meaningless statement without the context of your job.
    I work in IT and depending on your job, I would say that 75% of the people who can listen to music do listen to music.
    It started when the Walkman hit, at least 50% of the devs I worked with bought one immediately.
    It's a great way to focus on what you're doing and keep whatever ambient distractions at bay.
    Certain types of IT work require intense focus at times. Not saying that other jobs don't.

cc--, bpmd1962 and nbakid2000 like this.
  22. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

You might seriously consider a FiiO X1 player. No bigger than an old school iPod, but capable of playing AAC, FLAC and bitrates up to 192/24 for just over $100.

Guy E likes this.
  23. gmitchel

gmitchel Forum Resident

It's pretty common in the world of software development. Not saying that is what the OP does, but at my job headphones were acceptable.

Just be careful to keep the volume to a low level and take breaks. I gave myself tinnitus in 10 years listening to headphones at work, and I could still hear myself typing on the keyboard while listening. (Of course, growing up on a farm around machinery contributed to my problem as well)

Grant likes this.
  24. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

Just a reminder: it was called Bachelor Pad Music for a reason...

25. Use_Your_Koala

Use_Your_Koala Forum Resident

Sometimes I wonder if posters around here are actually grown up adults.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.