"Collector's Choice" label question for Steve (or anyone who knows)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ArneW, Jul 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArneW

ArneW Senior Member Thread Starter

Hi,

it is quite often here in this forum that we talk about how difficult and costly (and sometimes even impossible at all) it is to obtain the permission and required licenses to reissue records for which the rights are controlled by some major label.

However, "Collector's Choice" seems to handle this task very well and is putting out an impressive ever-growing list of titles (mostly two-fers of albums which I would have loved to see in a hoffmanized version, BTW). How the hell do they manage to do this? AFAIK, they're *not* a subsidiary of any of the majors, and yet they seem to be able to license titles from Sony, Capitol and even Warner/Reprise almost à volonté.

The sound quality of their releases is hit and miss though, but - to be fair - more often than not closely resembles the sound of the original LP (which is of course *not* a good thing when it comes to Dean Martin's Reprise albums, but their reissue of "Robert Goulet In Person" was a lot better than I expected and sounds almost exactly like my 1960s Columbia "360 Sound" LP).

So who is behind CC Music, and why is it that seemingly they can put out everything they want? I'd really appreciate if anyone could enlighten me. BTW, anyone notice that they have their own forum as well?

Arne

2. Dan

Dan Senior Member

They use lots of noise reduction on many of their releases. I sometimes almost detect an almost "flangey" type effect too. Like the output of a bad computer soundcard.

I have to hear their releases from now on before I buy them.

3. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

They recently acquired the rights to do the 6 original Association albums for CD, apparently after begging Warner Brothers to no end. :D

They do seem to get to license plenty of material.

As far as the sound goes, I can't really say too much, not having listened to much of their stuff. I do have their 2-fer of the first two Amazing Rhythm Aces titles, which ain't bad, but nothing to shout about.

4. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Gordon Anderson is the person behind CCM.

5. rontokyo

rontokyo Senior Member

Isn't the former editor of Goldmine [name escapes me] involved in one way or another?

6. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Are you talking about John Koenig?

7. ArneW

That's what I meant. I didn't have the impression that they use much NR. The Dean Martin stuff seems to be cut from older LP production masters. They have a noticeable measure of hiss and sort of grainy highs. Certainly they sound nothing like the master tapes, but at least they are somewhat faithful to the original LP releases. As you said: nothing to shout about, but still better than having Ed Feinberg terminate an otherwise pristine master.

Arne

8. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

First of all, last I checked, CCM was still mostly owned by Playboy Enterprises. Yes, that Playboy...at the least, they own plenty of stock, from what I understand.

As for their releases, of those I have, the quality depends on the label their licensing from, since I don't think they do their own mastering, but have the labels do it. Hit and miss they are, but I've liked the work they've licensed from Columbia(for the most part), Capitol(the Kingston Trio 2-fers), Elektra(Clear Light), and it was from CCM we finally got Peter & Gordon's "Woman" in stereo.

Imperfect they are, but they are relentless, licensing stuff nobody else seems to care about. But I think soundwise, they're at the whim of the labels. Sometimes you get a pleasant surprise, sometimes, NR. Hit and miss.

Collectables has had some very good luck with the Sony catalog, with all those 2-fers, and the Vee-Jay catalog as well.

ED:cool:

9. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Yep. I like 'em. Thanks CCM for the forgotten lps.

mud-

10. rontokyo

rontokyo Senior Member

No. Aargh. I'll have to dig up some back issues and get the name.

11. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Jeff Tamarkin? He was doing some work for a now defunct reissue label, but it wasn't Collector's Choice.

I don't have any real complaints about the Phil Ochs reissues I've bought on Collector's Choice. I don't detect much in the way of noise reduction, and they definitely don't maximize. In fact, I'd almost say they use a flat transfer in these cases.

I'll have to dig out that CC Harpo Marx CD one of these days and give it a listen for comparison.

12. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

I think Jeff Tamarkin's been working for Music Club, not CCM.

ED:cool:

13. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Inglot did the Association issues.

mud-

14. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I'm happy with the CCM stuff I do have in my collection. In fact, I do recommend their Stonewall Jackson best of and their best of on country artist Johnny Duncan who had a string of hits in the 1970s.

15. syogusr

syogusr New Member

Speaking of the Association and Bill Inglot, are the new single releases of the Association the same mastering that was used on the compilation released a year ago?
    Also, I find it rather amusing that CC charges $12.95 per/disc, when you can go over to DDCD and purchase the same (as of yesterday, only the ST Association was there) for $9.95 shipped. I guess CC has to pay for those catalogs somewhere. I also get duplicates of both the music and the DVD catalogs, even though I told them via phone a year ago to just send me one of each! These things cost money to produce and mail.

16. ArneW

I just found out they recently released "Tony Perkins", an album I've treasured for decades now! Even better, the credits (Barnes and Noble) say the remastering engineer is Debra Parkinson! Guess it's a must for me!

Arne

17. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Guys,

Bob Fisher has done a lot of their EMI/Capitol stuff. He works at Capitol Mastering...his style is somewhat distinct and different from other Capitol Mastering Engineers - Bob Norberg and Evren Gokner. Bob Fisher is, comparatively, more 'light-touch' on processing especially NR.

Bob:)

18. Steel Woole

Steel Woole Senior Member

The way I understand it, Gordon Anderson will request a title from a label. After agreements are signed, the label will manufacture the discs for CC and sell them the whole lot. Whatever the agreed run of a title is, CC buys them all. This is different from licensing a master. This is called "Third Party Manufacturing" and the DATs sent to the plant are generally flat transfers of the masters.

19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

And...CCM is -Owned- by Playboy Magazine:)

20. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Like Ed, I really liked the CC Kingston Trio twofers that they did a couple of years ago.

Then again, they also did the KLAATU/HOPE twofer, a sonic disaster of Guinness Record Book proportions.

Caveat emptor, but I will be getting those Association titles!

21. Dan

Dan Senior Member

All I know is that the Jonathan Edwards "Honky Tonk Stardust Cowboy" and Chick Corea/Miroslav Vitous 2-fer I bought were both ruined (in my opinion) by excessive NR and phase/flanging sounds.

22. rjp

rjp Senior Member

if you guys like CCM, you should check out wounded bird.

not as much to choose from, but just as eclectic.

renny

23. ksmitty

ksmitty Senior Member

Yes, Wounded Bird has put out several things that I picked up the last couple of years. Black Oak Arkansas's If An Angel Came To See You & Keep The Faith, Passport's Cross Collatteral & Lookin Thru, Thin Lizzy's Renegade and a few other's. There are hit & misses though as far as the sound quality of the releases . Overall They do a pretty good job though.
    Wounded Bird Label was actually started by one of the Founders of the ONE WAY label who also put out quite a few things that the major labels wouldn't touch.

24. jgrig0

jgrig0 Active Member

I bought Tompall Glaser and the Glaser Brothers from them and I believe it was compiled from several different labels. It sounded pretty good. The Rhinocerous CD that they had out didn't sound too good though (IMO). I was a little disappointed with it.

25. Gary Mack

Gary Mack Active Member

A recent column by Gordon in the CCM catalog mentioned that Playboy is no longer involved. My memory may be wrong, however. BTW, their site has been down for several days: Collector's Choice :(

GM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.