Colorized movies

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Andrew T., Dec 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andrew T.

Andrew T. Out of the Vein Thread Starter

I was going through some old VHS tapes the other day, when I found a recording of the 1939 film The Hunchback of Notre Dame that had been taped off a local television station (WOAY) in 1989.

The version of the film happened to be Ted Turner's colorized version, and boy was it awful! At the risk of stating the obvious, everything relating to color, contrast, and texture looked wrong and unnatural.

[​IMG][​IMG]

They even took the crayons to this:

[​IMG]

And if the colorization alone wasn't bad enough:

[​IMG]

:realmad:

2. jblock

jblock Senior Member

Hey, it's "100% mono compatible"!

3. seriousfun

seriousfun Forum Resident

Chace does good work - their stuff does fold-down to mono very well.

Colorization doesn't fold-down to monochrome...it just plain sucks.

4. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Why not?

5. andyinstal

andyinstal Runner for Others

Saw 'Miracle on 34th Street' the other night. It was the colorized version, and although it's not my bag, it looked pretty decent.

6. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Because in order to colorize they have to take a black and white print and fade all the contrasting black and white to neutral shades of grey. Therefore if you dump the color you do not get the correct black and white print back, just this faded grey thing..

7. Dillydipper

...kinda like fake stereo?

8. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

The people in the clip don't even look real. It looks like (bad) animation/claymation.:sigh:

9. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

The only good thing that ever came out of the misplaced urge to colorize black and white films was that a handful of the films received better treatment than they otherwise would have gotten in their owner's film vaults at the time. This was in the interest of creating a usable digital master from which to begin the mutilation process. This resulted in an inventory, examination, and preservation of film elements that happens more frequently these days now that most of the major studios have full-fledged asset protection programs, but was less common in the 80s and early 90s.

Regards,

10. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Agreed. In fact the Laurel & Hardy nitrate preservation cycle began just for that reason..

11. xman

xman Active Member

The 1934 version "The Count Of Monte Cristo" I purchased on VHS in the late 80's was colorized and in EP to boot on VCI tapes. As far as I know this magnificent movie was not made available in any other format. It is one that I transferred to DVD because I love it so much I can overlook the fact that it was colorized. I would love to buy a glorious Black & White deluxe version of this true classic.

Edmond Dantes (Robert Donat): "It's not my sword, Mondego, but your past that disarmed you."

12. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

In a deleted scene from "V for Vendetta", I believe the title character blows up the people who did this. ;)

Regards,

13. Marty Milton

Marty Milton Senior Member

You're joking, aren't you? IMO, colorization of a movie is as bad or even worse that pan and scan.

14. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

I've never seen a colorized movie that looks even remotely watchable.
    (IMO):shake:

15. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

(Sigh) You traditionalists! What's the problem? To paraphrase Paul McCartney: it wasn't black & white in the studio when they made these films!!!

:hide:

16. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

I'm against it as well. It panders to prejudices against different technology which should be directly addressed and is a ridiculous waste of resources. The only colorized film I've seen that looked at all "realistic" and watchable was the '50's Walt Disney Zorro series done in the late '80's iirc. It did, again if I recall rightly, look ok, but even then I'd rather have it the way they filmed it to look, in (sharper) black and white. That Hunchback colorization looks like a true horror.

17. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

'cause even when we're not speaking of a case where the effect of black and white is part of the artistic feel, the color is still lost. The colorization adds fake color, not the color that was really there. :)

18. Jeff Wong

Jeff Wong Gort

What I find fascinating is that Ted Turner, who was the biggest offender (clever in that the new colour version gave him a copyright), is now a leader in presenting films restored in their original B&W glory.

19. Dillydipper

Exactly the arguement I made for the process back when I had one of my first letters printed in Video magazine (remember that one?) back in the mid-80's.

My arguement was, it WASN'T putting a mustache on the Mona Lisa, but it was going back to the best resurrection they could do...and putting a mustache on THAT. Also, saving the resored version for further life.

The other argument was, even if you didn't like the process then, it, like so many other processing techniques, would only get better under the practiced hands of a master - so let them practice! Like NoNoise, it's a tool, not a demon.

20. thxdave

thxdave "One black, one white, one blonde"

I wonder when they'll get around to colorizing "Dr. Stangelove" or "Young Frankenstein"? That'll make 'em better, right? ;)

21. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

"The Elephant Man", "Raging Bull" & "Schindler's List" definitely need to be colourized.

22. thxdave

thxdave "One black, one white, one blonde"

Well, somebody slipped up and let that little colorized girl into "Schindler's..." but that was just a fluke, I guess. ;)

23. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

I was, of course, being facetious since those movies were intentionally filmed in B&W (although "Raging Bull" & "Schindler's List" both have a little colour). :)

24. Dillydipper

I think the Kansas Visitors Bureau should demand they colorize the sepia scenes in Wizard Of Oz, and return the middle part to black & white - just like we remember watching it on TV in 1962. ;)

25. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

I read in an article in the LA times about 5 years ago that there are still firms that are around that colorize movies. The irony is that they have improved the technology to colorize films.
    I think Ted Turner realized that it was just bad business to colorize films.
    The whole point in doing it was to get people who didn't like black and white to watch an old film because it was now in color.
    But the truth is people don't like old films because they are old.

If you look at Schindler's list and Ed Wood or even Young Frankenstein, its not the black and white that is the problem. It was the fact that old films feel old via bad audio or bad film. These new black and white films had good sound quality and didn't feel hokey.
    Today, many of those OLD FILMS in black and white look great as they are transfered to dvd.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.