Comedians who will do "requests" of their jokes at live shows?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MRamble, Sep 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Worst “comedian” ever so his pandering to schlock is not surprising.

I’d think most any other comedian of any repute wouldn’t resort to this kind of lowest common denominator nonsense.

Ghostworld and Strat-Mangler like this.
  2. leemelone

leemelone Forum Resident

When I saw Ralphie May (RIP) at a comedy club he did requests at the end of his set as an encore.

3. George P

George P Notable Member

Love that guy! Recently heard what he regards as being his most offensive joke. So dark and SO funny!

4. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Why do you want to hear a song again? You know how it goes, you know the lyrics. Etc. Same exact thing.

Plus, most people can't tell a joke properly and certainly can't remember a whole bit well enough to tell it and certainly not the way the man who delivered it well enough for people to enjoy it so much could.

Some comedians, like Louis CK, don't memorize the phrasing of a bit but rather just the moves so when they tell a bit, it changes slightly.

MRamble, BeatleJWOL and GodShifter like this.
  5. Strat-Mangler

One of my favorite comics ever. That guy is a walking joke encyclopedia. And completely fearless, too!

At 28, he left his career to start doing stand-up. That takes a lot of courage. I have major respect for him.

6. Strat-Mangler

I normally don't demean comedians as it's all subjective but I make an exception for him. Absolute worst so-called comedian I've ever seen.

First time I saw him was when I was in the US visiting some friends, back many years ago. The one with whom I was staying was hyping this guy up something fierce without mentioning the ventriloquist/dummy part. I was surprised when he put in the DVD and saw what I saw! Had to fake laugh to not insult the guy but it was a miserable time. Quite painfully terrible.

F_C_FRANKLIN and GodShifter like this.
  7. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I mean, how does this even work?

I'm sure Henny Youngman would love you shouting "Do "So he gave me another six months!"

What?

8. PonceDeLeroy

PonceDeLeroy Forum Resident

"Take me someplace I've never been." I took her to the kitchen!

Ghostworld and Gumboo like this.
  9. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

This sounds like something that would appeal to the average sit-com viewer. They aren't necessarily in it for the laughs, but because it's something familiar. Safe. That's the only explanation I can give because the concept of having a 'favorite joke' is so foreign to me. Favorite song, yes...but favorite joke?

10. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

The hardest I ever laughed was at Rodney Dangerfield show. He got me on a roll, with like five jokes in a roll, and I couldn't stop laughing. He looked at me really pleased.

Gumboo and George P like this.
  11. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

Yes, same exact thing. I recall many times when I've seen a comic tell a beloved joke at a slower tempo, or in a different key, or with a horn section.

12. Strat-Mangler

About the most ignorant comment one could ever make on the matter. Way to purposely miss the point entirely. Congrats! :laugh:

13. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

If you've never laughed at the same joke twice, then it clearly wasn't that funny to you to begin with.

14. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

I'm sure I have laughed at a joke the second time I heard it. But I'd never request that joke be told. Especially if I paid to see and hear new jokes.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  15. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

I enjoy just listening to interviews with him. He's very funny, and his humor is clean. From all that I've read about him, he's a really good guy.

bamaaudio likes this.
  16. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

Brian Regan is hilarious. So wanted to scream out "Say 8!" at his show, but I think he did the 3 seconds in the microwave for a pop tart bit. Classic.

Gumboo likes this.
  17. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

That I definitely understand.

18. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Just saw Jim Gaffigan at a Michigan show. His set was about half brand new material, a little less than half material from his recent special, and a closing run-through on Hot Pockets which was his equivalent of playing Free Bird. :)

Gumboo and Strat-Mangler like this.
  19. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

"Hot Pockets" SHOULD be the new "FREEBIRD!!"

Gumboo and Strat-Mangler like this.
  20. Not exactly a greatest hits moment but when I saw Norm MacDonald he was mumbling about what he would talk about next when someone yelled out "talk about Chris Farley" so he spent the next five minutes talking about Farley.

21. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Just curious, but is it important for the humor “to be clean”? Seems very restricting in my opinion.

Funny is funny.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  22. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

Yeah, but Norm is like a jazz musician. The song is never played the same way twice and sometimes he'll just improvise and riff on it for a while. He's fearless and the polar opposite of somebody like Jerry Seinfeld who'll obsess over every syllable in his act.

kevywevy and GodShifter like this.
  23. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

It is restrictive and that's the point. Clean comics will talk about how they have to work harder to be funny without using foul language, but it also opens up a lot of doors. They can play in places and to crowds where clean material is a must, like commercial television, public events and family oriented occasions.
    Try telling a really filthy joke in church and see how many laughs it gets you.

GodShifter likes this.
  24. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

I saw Red Skelton not long before he died and someone in the crowd yelled, "Gertrude and Heathcliff!" Red proceeded to tell half a dozen snappy jokes using those two seagulls.

kevywevy likes this.
  25. Strat-Mangler

Sorry but that's a tired inaccurate argument. There are plenty of amazing jokes with no foul language with subject matter which wouldn't be appropriate for church.

That's a big difference.

GodShifter likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.