Comicbook movie fatigue anyone?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Michael Rose, Mar 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

2. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Tired of movies about toys as well.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  3. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

Very interesting to read all responses. We have nearly all the Marvel releases, though some were secondhand.
    There’s so many other movies to watch, both newer and older, that I’m ready for another by the time they’re released.
    Our kids want to go and we don’t mind.
    I’m over Arthouse stuff now, though I will occasionally watch a Malick film or buy another foreign film when I see it used, like ‘The Umbrellas Of Cherbourg’, though the EXACT reason I bought that will not be disclosed.

4. Mistermono

Mistermono Forum Resident

Nope. And the timing is perfect as my 7 year old daughter has developed an interest in comic books. She also loves Star Wars and The Beatles. And she's way into Garfield, of all things.

lightbulb likes this.
  5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Bingo! It helps I like that kind of movie, but I'd only get tired of them if they stunk.

If they're still good, why would I get tired of them? Do people get tired of good historical dramas?

GodShifter and Stormrider77 like this.
  6. rjp

rjp Senior Member

they have beaten them to death.

7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

can't get enough...bring them on!

8. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I'm not fatigued because no one is forcing me to watch them.

9. You might want to watch Avengers Infinity War—there are real consqeuences for some well known characters. If th movi is entertaining, well written and directed, I could care less what type of movie it is.

Michael Rose likes this.
  10. Well since Vision has an Infinity Stone,embedded in his head it would be hard to not have him.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think they're headed towards a wall pretty hard, and once they hit the wall, it's gonna be ugly. I'm not sure how Marvel can maintain this level of commercial success, but bear in mind I was one of many naysayers on Black Panther who doubted the movie would do well. And it's gone on to make $1.2 billion as of this week.

I think they'll keep making these movies as long as the audience is willing to see them and they make money. But you wonder if and when they're gonna hit the point where everybody says "enough already!" and they release a couple of enormous blockbusters that tank.

I'm getting tired of how every single movie has the plot of the earth about to end because of some horrific alien / fantasy / monster attack. It's kind of nice to have a smaller story where maybe the fate of the entire earth is not in the balance. The most recent Spiderman film did a good job with a limited story that didn't involve wrecking the city or having enormous explosions. The snappy one-liners doesn't bother me as long as the characters work and there's an actual story there.

12. Michael

The absolute worst was the Arrival...garbage.

13. Michael

exactly...

14. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

When did this happen? Last time I checked he was the golden age Human Torch or something.

15. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

Yes , I am tired of the whole costumed superhero comic book movies although I might be first in line if they ever brought The War That Time Forgot or Turok, Son Of Stone to the silver screen.

Michael Rose likes this.
  16. It was integrated into the second Avengers movie.

17. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident Thread Starter

There is no doubt in anyone's mind that Marvel rules the roost in the movie biz.

18. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

'Comic book film fatigue' - what a nonsense term.

Its like saying 'horror' fatigue or 'musical' fatigue or 'romance' fatigue.

If these things are not your thing then just ignore them. There are hundreds of other films released every year. Is there like people on the internet having a go at rom-coms for example?

The DC ones are mostly poor but the Marvel ones have a superb hit rate for what they are. Why would a fan of comics be fatigued with some amazing films ever year?

When I bought comics I would buy 40 odd titles a month, several from the same 'family' like Spider-man or Batman. I never got fatigued, it was wonderful. Why would a comics fan suddenly get fatigued over a few films.

Sorry I think the whole concept of this is nonsense. If you hate them, then fine, but no-one is being kidnapped, taken to a cinema and having their eyes taped open.

Now, animation fatigue, that's a different matter...

Stormrider77 likes this.
  19. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I like the Marvel films with a couple exceptions, and really enjoyed Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy. But the DC movies are generally not to my liking.

20. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident Thread Starter

I don't think you are in the minority with that opinion. :-popcorn::thumbsdow

21. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Nope. Best sci-fi movie I had seen in a long time.

The Revealer likes this.
  22. Michael

that's great..it sickened me the underlining premise...

23. I would have been much more critical of them when I was in that age range, but these days I’m a lot more accepting.

Michael Rose likes this.
  24. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I hope you're wrong! :yikes:

There's way too many comic book movies. I'll see some of 'em.

McLover and Michael Rose like this.
  25. Michael

never too many...variety is the spice of movie watching...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.