Comments wanted on Pioneer Elite VSX-41 A/V receiver

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Gary, Apr 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff Thread Starter

This model has just been discontinued and I am thinking of picking one up on a "clearance" special. It's a good price!

I can't quite remember but I think the guy said that Surround-EX is their name for THX - or something like that.

I'm not looking for the top of the line type stuff but I thought it would do for a few years....:D

Any thoughts?

2. greg_t

greg_t Senior Member

The Elite 41 is the same reciever as the regular Pioneer 812. It just has a prettier case. Whether or not it's worth it depends on the price.

3. Gary

But it's supposed to be an "Elite" model..... ??

Interesting.

Thanks, Greg.

4. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Two year warranty on the Elite model. I think there's other differences (power supply?) but I can't put my finger on it at the moment.

5. Gary

Pioneer VSX D812K
    Motorola 48-Bit DSP Engine
    Power Amplifier Design: Hybrid
    Analog to Digital Conversion 96KHz / 24-Bit

Pioneer VSX41
    Dual 24 Bit Engine
    Power Amplifier Design Pioneer Hybrid Amplification
    Analog to Digital Conversion 96/24

Yes, looks pretty close! Maybe they can justify the increased cost because of build quality? Is it worth it, I wonder? The VSXD812K new is still a few hundred less than the VSX41 discounted. :eek:

6. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Gary, do they weigh the same?

7. Gary

The Pioneer VSX D812K weighs 23 pounds 2 oz. and the Pioneer Elite VSX41 weighs 23 pounds.

The MCACC is automatic on the Elite model.

Now I'm thinking of getting the top of the line receiver (not Elite).

I hate this.... I guess I'd better do some more shopping around!

8. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Gary, I don't know the Canadian list price on either of these Pioneers, but have you considered Denon?

I worked in the A/V industry for many years, and sold many types of recievers. My favorite brand for both reliability and peformance features was/is Denon.

Maybe AVR-3803? Now that's it's discountinued, should be able to be picked up for cheap.

9. Gary

Thanks, Sam.... I'll check out some Denon stuff this afternoon.

Too bad I missed the warehouse sale..... :(

Still, I'd presume the Elite is a nice sounding machine... should sound better than a regular Denon, I'd guess....

10. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Where's there a warehouse sale? ;)

Well the Elite is gonna run reaaally HOT! Yes, it will sound good, but I prefer sound of the Denons. Wouldn't be a good audio guy if I didn't have a preference now, would I?

11. Gary

The warehouse sale was just a 1/2 mile from where I live.... :D And, of course, I was in England at the time.... :mad:

Frankly, I'm leaning strongly towards the Elite. HT does not turn my crank so it'll do for what I want, I guess. Still keeping the tubes and the "main" system intact, of course! :)

Thanks!

I wonder if it's still there "waiting" for me... ? :sigh:

12. greg_t

greg_t Senior Member

The current Elites are great recievers. I had a mid level Denon (2802) and I just didn't like it. Bad remote, unfriendly setup, pretty good sound. I now have an Elite 49TXi and it is far better. I would just be leary of the Elite 41 has you're not really gaining much over the 812. The Pioneer 912 also now has the auto MCACC, which is a great feature. You might want to price it. If you go with an Elite, I would also look at the newer models like the 55TXi.

13. Gary

Good advice, Greg T! I noiced that about the 912. A fantastic feature - no guesswork in set up! :edthumbs:

I can get it for about the same price - or perhaps less - than the Elite 41.

I think I will take more time on this and keep looking. The features these days are a real plus for people like me who don't have the "perfect" 5.1 listening room!

14. AudioEnz

AudioEnz Senior Member

Gary,

there are two big mistakes that most people make when buying an AV receiver.

The first is to forget that, for most of the time, it will more likely be playing music than movies. People tend to get hung up on the spec sheet of movie and dsp modes and forget that the most important thing is sound quality.

The second is that while the spec sheet is undoubtably absolutely correct, it still means diddly squat in describing how the receiver sounds. And even the specs can be misleading. Take an AV receiver that boasts 100 watts into six channels. Sure it will do 100 watts, a single channel at a time. Try to get the receiver to produce 100 watts into all channels at once and all but a few receivers simply won't do it. One of the few brands that will are NAD, with their 100 watt receivers producing 100 watts into all channels at once. Marantz are normally pretty close as well.

Now let's talk a little more about sound quality. Most AV receivers suck in sound quality. It's hard to find an AV receiver that sounds as good as the cheapie Rotel 931mk2 integrated (Rotel's cheapie that - sadly - is no longer available) or the entry level Rega integrated.

Denon Av receivers tend to sound better than the run of the mill, but if you want an AV receiver that sounds like a good amp should, then there's only two choices: NAD and Marantz. (This isn't surprising: scratch any amp manufacturer and he'll start blathering on about the importance of the amps power supply. One sign of a good power supply in an AV receiver is the ability to power all of the channels without the output sinking).

I review hi-fi and home theatre equipment for a living and I use a Plinius amplifier. Usually, I can't wait to get an AV receiver out of my system to get back to a real amp. When I reviewed the Marantz 5300 and NAD 752 AV receivers (both now replaced by upgraded models) I was happy to leave them both in the system and enjoy my tunes. Can't say any better than that.

15. Gary

Thank you, Michael - great advice! I know a place or two that sells NAD.... and Marantz.

Actually, I've decided to keep the "house system" intact and just use the 5.1 receiver strictly for TV or 5.1 surround. It won't be part of the two channel system.

And, of course, the 2 channel tube system stays put..... :D

Thanks again!

Gary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.