Comments your parents/other adults made about your music?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Monosterio, Mar 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pianoporsche

pianoporsche Member

I tried playing Loveless for my dad in the car. His response: "I could fart in a jar, but that doesn't make it music."

EdgarFitzgerald likes this.
  2. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

My mum tolerated most if the stuff I played but drew the line at James Taylor. She couldn't believe someone with such a weak voice could have got a recording contract. She thought his off key singing was some kind of a gimmick. When Mud Slide Slim and the Blue Horizon came out she couldn't believe he'd done three albums using that same gimmick.

3. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I remember being at one of those million relative parties and the Beatles were going to be on Ed Sullivan...actually it was the film clip of them doing "Hello Goodbye".

Remember.. this was pre video recorders so these were one and done appearances.
    We've had the Big Meal earlier so the TV is on. The Fabs come on and my Grandpa Pete who never said much because he was hard of hearing and didn't know what was going on most of the time has to mention.."Look at them. Don't they look like apes?"
    So now I can't really hear "Hello Goodbye" because everyone in the room has to voice their opinion.

I can't tell my relatives .."shut up ! Just shut up !":D

My mom liked most of the things I listened to. My dad had no use for it but left me alone about it, other than the random sarcastic comment once in awhile.

4. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

A very accurate description if I've ever heard one! Kudos to your dad. ;)

5. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

My parents were actually supportive.They thought it was a nice hobby for their three kids.When my siblings & I moved out of the house they kind of missed the music coming from our rooms.We all had completely different tastes in music though.

6. ManFromCouv

ManFromCouv Employee #3541

My mom used to say 'they're all a bunch of heroin addicts'. No they're not, I'd reply.
    Okay, I knew the rockers liked their drugs, but a bunch of heroin addicts? No.
    Then as an adult I start reading the autobiographies. They were a bunch of heroin addicts.
    Score one for mom. :sigh:

7. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

The 'supportive' parents are the worst. If you see an old guy in an AC/DC shirt shopping for CDs with his son you know at least one of them is going to end up going on a killing spree. :laugh:

8. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

My father didn't appreciate it when I put on Hendrix playing The Star Spangled Banner. In fact it was the closest he ever came to beating the living crap out of me.

9. fuse999

fuse999 Forum Resident

My Dad always made the same comment - Turn that down.

10. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

:unhunh: Ha Ha,well supportive within reason.Not like today where kids are cranking their gansta rap during dinner.You know there`s always a time and place for things.

11. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

My parents always encouraged me to listen to whatever I liked. The only time I ever received criticism was when my dad pointed out that Morrissey and Marc Almond had a tendency to go flat.

I actually vividly remember my dad singing along with Iron Butterfly's "In-a-Gadda-Da-Vida."

"IN THE GARDEN OF EDEN, BABY, DON'T YOU KNOW THAT I LOOO-OOOVE YOOOO!" :sigh: :help: :crazy:

Fortunately, I still love that LP. :D

12. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

Before my dad passed away he wanted to see Billy Joel, who he loved. There was an Elton/Billy tour at the time near his house so I flew out, got us passes, etc. Elton was playing and launched into "Rocket Man." My dad said "I first heard that song while on vacation last year." I said "No you didn't, trust me -- you first heard that song blasting out of my bedroom over and over."

13. lugnut2099

lugnut2099 Forum Resident

My dad and aunt have mentioned that my grandparents (same grandpa who made the comment about the AC/DC tune that I mentioned) were extremely offended by this back in 1969. I don't know if the racial component weighed in on it, but they apparently deemed his rendition disrespectful.

14. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

My Dad saw me writing "Back Sabbath" on one of my notebooks, and he asked... what's black cabbage?

dkmonroe likes this.
  15. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

I remember playing Whole Lotta Love for my Mom when it came out. Her only comment was "interesting".

16. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

My father didn't know who was playing it, black or white, when I put it on. He served in the Navy and had pretty rigid ideas about how the song should sound. And it shouldn't sound like the the Hendrix version. The Marine Corp Band version was more to his liking.

17. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Those really were the original lyrics.

18. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Oh yeah -- but imagine your dad bellowing them off-key! :D

19. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I can't. My father didn't sing.

20. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Mine shouldn't've.

21. peter fuller

peter fuller Forum Resident

Cool thread. Back in the 70s my dad used to listen to some muzak station out of Boston and they played all kinds of muzak versions of pop and rock tunes. One time it was a hideous version of "Come Together" and I couldn't take it any more. I said "Dad, that's the Beatles you know." All I got was "not it's not". He freaking hated all rock back then. End of conversation. I still give him grief to this day.

22. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Now I know what to call my next band......! :laugh:

23. motownmaniac

motownmaniac Forum Resident

Just the other day my mum came over for lunch , i put on Les Paul and Mary Ford - Bye Bye Blues 10'
    she said "Why are you listening to old fogie music" shes 60

after that i put on The Stones - Sticky Fingers , "Much Better" she said

nbakid2000 likes this.
  24. vinyl_puppy

vinyl_puppy Der Weaselschnitzel

One morning I was playing Metallica's "Nothing Else Matters" in my room and my dad happened to be passing by and said that a local Mexican band singer (who was awful) sang better than James Hetfield. My thought at the time was Hetfield is famous and makes more money than the local singer.

I was cleaning the living room and my mom happened to come over when Zeppelin's "Battle of Evermore" came on and she says "Is that Chinese?"

I was listening to Beck's Odelay album and my sister gruffly said "The hell you listening to?"

I do like stuff my parents listen to. My mom likes early Beatles stuff and my dad likes jazz, mambo and Mexican conjunto music.

25. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

I remember sitting around the tv set with my parents and grandparents watching the Beatles debut on the Ed Sullivan show. My mom had her hands over her ears. People were saying "you call that music? that's noise, not music!" Hard to believe but true.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.